Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Academy games 2024

Still battling hard, but our ball movement was pretty disjointed, while Sandringham had a few more cohesive passages, to lead 58-48. Our only goal in that quarter, was courtesy of a 50 to Rider. Hopefully we were kicking into the breeze, so maybe we'll have an advantage in the last.

Played a tough final quarter to win 80-70. I don't know what our tackle count was for the day, but it must have been high. Sandringham didn't really look like scoring until they got a 50, at around twenty minutes in: possibly for arguing that the decision should have been holding the ball, rather than a too forceful tackle?

A couple of strong marks capped off the performance, when Sandringham were desperately trying to make a comeback. Firstly, McNamara brought a kick out down at around the 50. He then hoisted it into the goal square, where Ryan took a pack mark, to then put through the final goal. Ryan also took a very good diving mark a few minutes earlier.

I can't recall seeing McNamara play midfield before, but I thought he had plenty of useful involvements. It'll be interesting to see if he spends more time there in his draft year, rather than the half back role that he's usually played. I thought Hitchens did pretty well also, when given a bit of time as a big bodied midfielder later in the game. Our smaller players there, Nandlal, Fitzpatrick and Harrison were all combative.

Perhaps our best player today was Cochran, whose intercept marking and spoiling stopped plenty of Sandringham attacks. Mills-Vasas and Carmichael were also pretty good.

In attack, I think Rider may have kicked 3 or 4. Chamberlain had a bit of an off day. After I talked up his disposal skills the other day, I was a bit surprised when most of kicks missed the target today. But he still did a few nice things and I suspect he'll do pretty well when he plays for the Allies next week.

All up, a good tough win to end our Talent League campaign.

Veterans List
    Thanks deja, always good to get academy reports, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Thanks deja, always good to get academy reports, cheers
    Ta. Though I've since found out that Sandringham were missing a handful of their best players, so it might not be as impressive a win as it first seemed. Which is one reason why I'm looking forward to watching some of our guys go around for the Allies against SA next Sunday, as the standard should be consistently higher.

Quite a good preview of tomorrow's game between the Allies and SA. If their predicted line-up is right, our players Andreacchio, Carmichael and Cochran will be playing in defence, Harrison will be in midfield, while it looks like Chamberlain is sitting it out.

PREVIEW | 2024 AFL U18s: South Australia vs. Allies - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

Allies ahead 47-35 at half time and have generally looked the better side.

Of our academy players, Andreacchio has perhaps been the best, with some sharp disposals coming out of defence. Carmichael has been good as a half back flanker. Cochran has got in a few timely spoils and showed that he's also nimble when the ball hits the ground. Harrison seems to be lower in the midfield pecking order and has mainly played as a small forward, when his natural role is in and under midfielder.

A couple of the guys above him in the pecking order look to have big futures. Lombard from the Suns looks very classy, while Lions underager, Annable, has been one of the best players so far.

SA had a bit the better of the second half and ended up winning 87-75. Though that margin flatters them a touch, as the game was in doubt until a SA forward took a forward 50 mark with about 10 seconds to go.

Of our prospects, Andreacchio has continued his good form, to push his case for a late in the draft selection. Seemed to get a fair bit of the ball and usually hit the target. Although he probably annoyed the coach, when he was faked off the mark to give away fifty and then turned over the ensuing kick in, after the missed set shot.

I thought Cochran was pretty good. Although the commentators didn't really notice him much, it looked like he got a fair few spoils in. He also has pace and good kicking skills, so I wouldn't mind seeing him given more of a licence to venture through the midfield, like Connor O'Sullivan had last year.

Carmichael was handy in the first half, but I didn't notice him much in the second. However, he is an underager, so I'm pretty confident he'll be a strong prospect next year.

Harrison had a bit more midfield time in the second half, but I don't think he really boosted his chances. He probably needs more pace off the mark, to both beat his opponent to the ball and escape into space if he gets it.

Of the Allies players who did boost their prospects, I thought Lombard was probably the best. A pacy and classy mover around the contests, who has sharp disposal skills. To me, he does appear to be a top ten pick. Which might have the usual suspects gibbering about the Suns academy.

Marshall had a very good second half in the middle. Got plenty of it as a nippy in and under player. Not sure of his draft status, since he was playing for the Lions last season, but is now playing for Sandringham?

A couple of future prospects Annable and Uwland, both showed enough skills to suggest that they'll be taken by the Lions and Suns, respectively.

Up forward, Murphy from the Murray Bushrangers kicked three goals and was strong leading out. He looks like a key forward, but is listed at 190cm, so that might affect his draft prospects?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234