Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Academy games 2024

Rookie Me's Scouting Notes for the round are complimentary of Andreacchio, Cabor, Carmichael, Hawkins and Rider.

Scouting Notes: 2024 Coates Talent League - Round 5 - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

The team is out for Saturday's game against Tasmania, which annoyingly takes place at 5.15pm at Blacktown. I mean, while the people wanting to watch our academy games might be a fairly niche audience, I suspect most of them would also want to watch our VFL match, that's taking place at the same time.

Anyway, there's a return to the side for Joel Cochran; who's probably our best prospect for this year's draft. And there's a debut for a 205cm ruckman, Ben Lenarduzzi.

And I'm guessing that Tasmania doesn't have the bumper crop of talent that they had last season, as they've only won one game out of four, and that was against Northern Territory. I

1. Nicholas Andreacchio, 7. Lachlan Cabor, 9. Joe Harrison (c), 10. Lachlan Carmichael, 11. Louis Jans, 12. Max Rider, 14. Kaiden McNamara, 16. Colby Hill, 17. Declan Fitzpatrick, 18. Harry Cameron, 19. Zachary Nandlal, 20. Felix Rugge-Price, 21. Jack Roberts, 22. Lucien Sennitt, 28. Joel Cochran, 29. Ned Hawkins, 30. Noah Chamberlain, 31. Thomas Hitchens, 32. Cameron Este, 33. Jeromos Mills-Vasas, 34. Tom Ryan, 35. Benjamin Lenarduzzi, 36. Harrison Podmore Taylor, EMG: Ned Hardman, Cooper McClennan, Oscar Clifton

These are the Rookie Me scouting notes for the game against Tasmania. Despite the apparently convincing loss, they say nice things about Andreacchio, Cabor, Carmichael, Cochran and Hawkins.

Scouting Notes: 2024 Coates Talent League - Round 6 - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

Some more scouting notes from Rookie Me, this time from a match on the weekend between SA and a NSW team that was half Giants academy and half Swans academy. As far as I know, the stream is only available through the News Corpse aligned Kommunity TV.

Scouting Notes: South Australia vs. Giants/Swans Academies - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

But anyway, it seems that Carmichael is shaping up as a genuine prospect for 2025, while Harrison and Podmore-Taylor have probably done enough for an Allies spot. Unfortunately, Hawkins has sustained a hamstring injury, which is likely to keep him out of the Allies series, after some impressive overage performances as an inside mid.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Some more scouting notes from Rookie Me, this time from a match on the weekend between SA and a NSW team that was half Giants academy and half Swans academy. As far as I know, the stream is only available through the News Corpse aligned Kommunity TV.

Scouting Notes: South Australia vs. Giants/Swans Academies - Aussie Rules Rookie Me Central

But anyway, it seems that Carmichael is shaping up as a genuine prospect for 2025, while Harrison and Podmore-Taylor have probably done enough for an Allies spot. Unfortunately, Hawkins has sustained a hamstring injury, which is likely to keep him out of the Allies series, after some impressive overage performances as an inside mid.
    Thanks for all of these Rookie Me links. Very encouraging re Carmichael; in a position of need too.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Thanks for all of these Rookie Me links. Very encouraging re Carmichael; in a position of need too.
    Carmichael has certainly been doing everything right. At last year's U16 championship, he was named our best player, and this season, he's played a few classy, high possession games: mainly off the half back flank, but with a bit of midfield time, as well. It'll be interesting to see if he gets picked as an underager for the Allies, which could give us a bit more of an indication of his draft prospects. Though of course, a lot can happen between now and the 2025 draft.

That being said, it could an interesting draft for us, with a couple of other kids currently looking like they could be taken somewhere in the top half. Some people rate Max King as our best prospect. He's 190cm, very quick, plays a bit forward, a bit inside mid and a bit outside mid. He's elusive in traffic and can hit targets. Unfortunately, he hasn't been playing lately, presumably injured after being ironed out in the Brisbane match, when a Lion collected him when he was down low gathering the ball.

Then there's the prospect that I probably rate the highest, Noah Chamberlain, and since he was given a couple of academy games last season, it's likely that the Swans management also rate him highly. He's an athletic 192cm, who's mainly played as a leading forward. He can get into space, take a strong mark and seems a reliable kick. Though he might have to grow a couple of centimetres, to become a genuine, high end KPF prospect. Luckily, he impressed me most when he was tried on the wing for a game. While he didn't gather a huge amount of possessions, I thought he demonstrated an ability to rapidly process options and to hit targets. His chase down pressure was also really good.

Though now that I've talked up those prospects, I'm wondering if the draft rules might limit our access. That is, I think there's a rule somewhere, that says that a high ladder finish decreases the amount of academy players that you can take? And I certainly think the Swans are going to finish high up this year and probably in 2025, too.

The Allies squad for the upcoming U18 National Championship has been named.

Allies squad announced for 2024 U18 Boys Champs - Allies squad announced for 2024 U18 Boys Champs

We have two underagers in the squad, Lachlan Carmichael and Noah Chamberlain, and three guys in their draft year, Nicholas Andreacchio, Joe Harrison and Joel Cochran. Unlike last year, we have no overagers selected, so I'm a touch disappointed that Podmore-Taylor missed out. Although there's still scope for players to be added, if those in the squad become unavailable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123