Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 1 - Pre Match Thread - vs Collingwood at MCG, Friday 15 March 2024, 1:40 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Absolutely. No need for 3 rucks.

I would stick with Amartey for a few games and see what he produces. If we drop him now after 1 bad game, where does he go from there?
    Amartey had bad practise games too. And a less than stellar 2023.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    So we go into round 1 with 4 premiership points and a position in the top four already. A bit strange!

Hope we can do well and win again, so we can enjoy the rest of the footy over the weekend.

Only player in Opening Round that was really sub-par was Amartey, so as suggested by others, he needs to go get some form in the 2s.

Out: Amartey
    In: Ladhams
    The conditions were terrrible for key forwards. Mcdonald took one mark overhead. Van Rooyen was useless except for a fluke goal. Amartey gets a game this week unless it's very wet and that is extremely unlikely.

We used two rucks successfully to wear down Gawn. Not sure we’ll use the same strategy against the Pies, but we might.

I didn’t watch the Giants demolition of the Pies but they played a very tall fwd line and we may do something similar hoping for a similar result?

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Mark
    Technically you are correct, but McLean is playing as a forward at times when Grundy is on the ground. If you look at minutes played by each will support this.
    There are some suggesting that Ladhams should be included as a replacement for Armartey. That would make us way too top heavy with Grundy and McLean in the side and will not happen.
    Armartey does have good mobility and for that reason I think selectors will give him another chance if conditions are more favourable for forwards next Friday night.

Collingwood play two rucks. Cameron and Cox. No reason why we wouldn't too.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    That's because they only have limited KPF I reckon. One ruck gives us an advantage at ground level.

Pies will be ferocious this week after their poor showing and subsequent widespread criticism last week

How crazy is it that Brody gets two games in a row to start the season vs his old team mates?? Love it !

Great to see Roberts looking more in the flow.............i dont mind Robbo getting some easy kicks from HBF to settle the nerves and or tag a small forward. Great opportunity while we have Parker, Mills, Patch out........to gain some best 22 experience and still play a required role. I still dont see an obvious spot for Robbo just yet but he aint going to play much mid field this season or next with the stack of inside mids we have and he aint fast enough for the wing. Glad he is making the most of the HBF role for now.

Unless injury is a concern I see our team pretty much as per last round, but I am super curious if the Pies will play short again up front? They seemed to lack height in their forwards and or just couldn keep it locked in their forward 50 like they are usually so good at????

Conversely GWS via Brown, Hogan and Daniels scoring 13 of their 18 goals was an amazing effort from that trio........serious weapons up front !

We had 10 players kick goals to make up only 12 goals.............talk about a hot hand 3 headed snake GWS attack !

The focus by the Pies this week to lock it in will be immense, especially with them fully aware of our love to slingshot a transition from our backline.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    Sheldrick won't be available, broken finger, 3-4 weeks.

Injury Update: Sheldrick sidelined

that fella cant take a trick !!!

any news on our young little no1 pick Konstanty ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veteran Site Admin
    Rotten luck for Sheldrick. Even though he didn't get picked for the first match, there was still an opening to fight his way in during the opening month while Parker and Adams were absent. Now that door has slammed shut.

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    But neither is any good.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    But neither is any good.
    Good enough to win a flag

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast