Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Match thread: Swans v Magpies.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    You're right about it being a good thing that we could be underrated. It's often suited us over the years. 2005 and 2012 are the best examples.
    I remember a game against the Dogs in 2012, we were annihilating them, and Bruce asked Dennis did he think the Swans were a chance at the Premiership. The reply was a qualified yes, but in his (Dennis’) opinion our midfield was “too similar.” Not to really be compared to the Hawks or Crows.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    I remember a game against the Dogs in 2012, we were annihilating them, and Bruce asked Dennis did he think the Swans were a chance at the Premiership. The reply was a qualified yes, but in his (Dennis’) opinion our midfield was “too similar.” Not to really be compared to the Hawks or Crows.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    I do miss Dennis Cometti though and I sometimes wonder if he would still be able to return to the commentary box. If not, perhaps he could take over the post-game interviews from Taylor? I can't help thinking, that Divergent Dennis would be far more entertaining than Roaming Brian. At least you'd largely have people who wanted to be interviewed.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    Cannot see either Haywood or Jordan being dropped. Jordan did a fantastic job on Sidebottom last Friday night. Going to have to look elsewhere for mine.
    Depth is a great thing, but as you say injuries do occur. As Longmire quoted in the presser afterwards these problems generally take care of themselves when asked the same question

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I'd be fascinated to hear from those at the ground who did the job on Josh Daicos. He's essential to the flow of their play and while their fumbling/our pressure across their halfback line made distribution to him difficult, he was effectively irrelevant to the game. It looked from the coverage a mix of a few players, but it was great coaching to invest time in him.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Admit I’m somewhat peeved that in our two wins the AFL’s own site has barely mentioned the Swans. It’s all been about the opposition; last week Melbourne’s poor forward work, this week the absence of Nathan Murphy for the Pies. Really highlights the Vic-centric mindset of most footy journalists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't worry about it. They don't get out much. It's a little bit scary out there.

I think the bottom 5 players at the moment are Amartey, Wicks, Lloyd, Braeden Campbell, Robbie Fox.
    When Sam Reid is ready, Amartey will be replaced by Reid. Amartey just does not provide a lot other than mark the ball, which is going to be harder in the pointy end of the season.
    Wicks - though plays his role well, can be easily replaced.
    Robbie Fox's role can be done by Luke Parker, Robbie Fox can come on as Sub to replace Wicks - He can play all sorts of roles - Back, Forward, Ruck - Ideal Sub
    Lloyd - has been pushed out - he can also be the sub coz he can do multiple roles but he should be replaced by Mills. Mills can play in the middle or back - when he rolls back, maybe Roberts can use his deep kicks to good use in the middle.
    Braeden Campbell - this is the hard one I like him as a player but I reckon, as suggested by others, Taylor Adams may give us good centre clearances and when the going goes tough in the middle, you need elite players in the middle. Heeney will be tagged soon and you will need someone to go in there. Braeden can also play sub and use his run and deep kick when coming on as sub. He is again adept at playing back or as a forward so good as a sub.

But neither Taylor nor Parker should play all games and there is going to be enough games for Campbell I guess in that sense.

However as Horse suggested, when the time to Bring in those players come, many things will naturally fall in place. Form, weather, fitness, injuries will all make it easy to select certain individuals over others.

Coaches votes for the game.

10 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
    5 Chad Warner (SYD)
    5 James Rowbottom (SYD)
    5 Nick Daicos (COLL)
    5 Errol Gulden (SYD)

Obviously the breakdown of votes is 5-5, then two lots of 4-1 and two lots of 3-2.

I'm actually a touch surprised that McInerney didn't get a vote or two, as I thought he was one of our best. He's also the player that I feel has improved the most season. In that, in the past I thought his tackling was a bit like a well oiled turnstile, but now there's a bit of oomph in his tackles. He's also applying plenty of chase down pressure, and along with players like Fox, Hayward, Warner and Rowbottom, was responsible for constantly disrupting Collingwood’s ball movement out of defence.

But the thing that's surprised me most, is that now he's spending a fair amount of time as an inside: when in the past I've had him down as purely a flanker. On Friday night, he actually attended 46% of centre bounces and was pretty effective. I thought he competed hard and was elusive in traffic when he got the ball. And I certainly didn't have him in mind, to step up in the absence of Mills, Parker, Adams and Sheldrick, but it seems to be working. So, kudos to him and the coaching staff.

And this is the top of the leader board, with Isaac in first place. Not that it's hugely relevant after 1 1/2 rounds.

19 Isaac Heeney SYD
    18 Matt Rowell GCFC
    15 Tom Green GWS
    15 Jesse Hogan GWS
    13 Harry McKay CARL
    11 Touk Miller GCFC
    10 Patrick Dangerfield GEEL
    10 Archie Perkins ESS
    10 Connor Rozee PORT
    10 Caleb Serong FRE
    9 Noah Anderson GCFC
    9 Brodie Grundy SYD
    9 Clayton Oliver MELB
    9 Wil Powell GCFC

Now that I think of it, McCartin was also a touch unlucky not to get a vote, as he was the player who was probably the most influential, in our defence being right on top of their forwards.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    I'm actually a touch surprised that McInerney didn't get a vote or two, as I thought he was one of our best. He's also the player that I feel has improved the most season. In that, in the past I thought his tackling was a bit like a well oiled turnstile, but now there's a bit of oomph in his tackles. He's also applying plenty of chase down pressure, and along with players like Fox, Hayward, Warner and Rowbottom, was responsible for constantly disrupting Collingwood’s ball movement out of defence.

But the thing that's surprised me most, is that now he's spending a fair amount of time as an inside: when in the past I've had him down as purely a flanker. On Friday night, he actually attended 46% of centre bounces and was pretty effective. I thought he competed hard and was elusive in traffic when he got the ball. And I certainly didn't have him in mind, to step up in the absence of Mills, Parker, Adams and Sheldrick, but it seems to be working. So, kudos to him and the coaching staff.
    This has long been my pet obsession. I appreciate his injuries and form the last 18 months hadn't helped - but I can never get out of my head when he twice went into the centre square a few seasons back and won us games against Norf (early '22 from memory) and Essendon (late '21 from memory) we were on track to lose. He's got a real bit of mongrel in him, has a wiry strength, doesn't mind phsyical contact, and seems to have an instinct for clearance work. You'd never pop him in there 100 percent of the time, as he's too good a runner and you want him breaking lines too. But players with burst inside the contest are super dangerous.

It's why I've kept banging on about it, and as you say, good to see the coaches let him do it now he's back to full fitness.

I remember my old sparring partner on here, the Bloods, said he had potential to play like a Nigel Lappin and it was a good point of comparison. Let's hope he continues to flourish.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Let's not be talking about who is the player to be demoted to fit in x,y & z when they are fit. Most of those suggested have had influence in two excellent wins.

I'm all for the Longmire idea of thinking, things will work themselves out at the time. If our good run of injury luck holds for a while, there'll be no need to rush back x, y & z, give players extra time, grab a fortnight extra where a bye is involved. We can hopefully wait until they are cherry ripe :-)