Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 2 v Essendon

No changes barring injuries. When you are on a good thing, stick to it.

The weather forecast indicates similar conditions to our first game at the SCG.

17 to 25 degrees with 50% chance of 1 to 5 mm of rain ( and virtually identical the day before).

So humid and a bit slippery - maybe Wicks gets a full game and one of the balls a rest

- - - Updated - - -

Whoops - the Talls

I think Amartey was good against Pies—provided a tall target high up the wings, much in the manner that Reid plays. The Melbourne game had a different shape, so that aspect of play was not so significant. the broader MCG brings a big man with the capacity to work to the wings into the game a bit more, I guess, and if the conditions on Saturday are similar to that night (warm, slippery ball), perhaps playing a small instead of either Amartey or Ladhams would be an option.
    I would be inclined to keep the same 23, although as a Wicks fan, I wonder whether he might be worth a starting guernsey, with Lloyd as reserve, or even Warner junior to provide a bit of late game run?

Veterans List
    Lloyd and Rampe will both be playing their 200th game. I feel like we haven't been successful in milestone games recently. Or am I imagining it?

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Yep, this is Essendon, so many close games or losses when we should have blown them away, definite DANGER GAME
    Exactly! Plus something strange always seems to happen when we play Essendon.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    I think Amartey was good against Pies—provided a tall target high up the wings, much in the manner that Reid plays. The Melbourne game had a different shape, so that aspect of play was not so significant. the broader MCG brings a big man with the capacity to work to the wings into the game a bit more, I guess, and if the conditions on Saturday are similar to that night (warm, slippery ball), perhaps playing a small instead of either Amartey or Ladhams would be an option.
    I would be inclined to keep the same 23, although as a Wicks fan, I wonder whether he might be worth a starting guernsey, with Lloyd as reserve, or even Warner junior to provide a bit of late game run?
    Some good thoughts, although a hell of a lot would need to go wrong for Warner Jnr to get a game he really needs a massive year in the 2s to show that he has it or I reckon he will be delisted in the next year or so.

Senior Player
    Reid if fit, would be good in this game, as someone to relief ruck and defend on two meter Peter.

Remember how Rory Lobb took all those marks against us last year? Peter Wright might be too tall for McCartin or Melican and cause similar carnage. One of them will have to defend Langford anyway, who kicked a few on us last year.

Then if Draper and/or Redman are lurking/resting up forward, that is a lot of marking power, plus Stringer who is a strong lad.

They have some other good players in form in Parrish, McGrath and Merritt.

We are in great form so far, but it really looks like a danger game!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Reid if fit, would be good in this game, as someone to relief ruck and defend on two meter Peter.

Remember how Rory Lobb took all those marks against us last year? Peter Wright might be too tall for McCartin or Melican and cause similar carnage. One of them will have to defend Langford anyway, who kicked a few on us last year.

Then if Draper and/or Redman are lurking/resting up forward, that is a lot of marking power, plus Stringer who is a strong lad.

They have some other good players in form in Parrish, McGrath and Merritt.

We are in great form so far, but it really looks like a danger game!
    Redman is suspended so he's a non-factor this week.

Not sure Parish is "in-form" given he didn't play last weekend. He's down as a test for this week, so he could come into their side. He's one of those players who consistently racks up large numbers of possessions, though not always with much impact.

Not sure what is going on with Draper. He didn't play last week but he's not listed on their injury list. I think he had some fairly major injury issue over the off-season and they're easing him back in.

If as predicted by the BOM there is showers in the afternoon and evening then 3 Talls on the forward line seems overkill to me, irrespective of form.
    This is a case of “horses for courses”, so with that in mind, I’m making a left field suggestion that we select Wicks and use a debutante as the sub, specifically, Konstanty. I watched him closely through the preseason, after a conversation KB last year when he recommended him highly, he was impressive. Still needs time but looks like he’d be perfect as a crumber, with speed, initiative, anticipation and kicking skills.
    Armarty seems to be the popular choice as the unlucky one and although I worry about the kicking skills of both Harry and Fox, it’s true the least contributing player to date is Lloyd. Would it be possible to have the debutante in the 22 and have either Harry or LLoyd as sub.
    I’m loving these types of dilemmas after so cruel a year as the last one, where we had no tall choices.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Lloyd and Rampe will both be playing their 200th game. I feel like we haven't been successful in milestone games recently. Or am I imagining it?
    Not quite. It’s their 200th game of playing together. What rookie list gems they’ve been.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Ive been wondering if LUDWIG is OK .
    Not that I know him, just seems MIA .

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Ive been wondering if LUDWIG is OK .
    Not that I know him, just seems MIA .
    I made the same inquiry on another thread a week or two ago. It seems like he had an accident with his reading glasses while staying in Vietnam and won't be posting until he's back in Thailand. Which should be pretty soon.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast