Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Round 2 v Essendon

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Dow View Post
    Fox out - Warner in.
    Fox has had a very good start to the year and help make the forward line more dangerous, his defensive as well some nice forward craft have been a real bonus.

Warner most likely the sub, not much of a Fan reminds me of Dylan Stephens
    Warner is coming on well. Liked his preseason game.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    Warner is coming on well. Liked his preseason game.
    Honestly I don’t see it, but hey as always happy to be proven wrong

Opti-pessi-misti
    I don't think Lloyd is going to be dropped any time soon. According to a Chad in an interview on the Swan's website Lloyd is pretty much the director around the ground, whether he's playing back or whether he's playing wing. 'He sorts all the boys out and gets the structures right and he's like a commander out there for us'.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    I don't think Lloyd is going to be dropped any time soon. According to a Chad in an interview on the Swan's website Lloyd is pretty much the director around the ground, whether he's playing back or whether he's playing wing. 'He sorts all the boys out and gets the structures right and he's like a commander out there for us'.
    I’d say until Parker or Mills are back - only them will a decision need to be made

Fox’s absence will be felt.
    Not only his ground ball and forward 50 pressure which have been elite, but also he is an aerial threat, his marking is usually assured and he has the timing to arrive at the right instant to either spoil or mark.
    Wicks and Warner Jnr can provide the ground ball and forward 50 pressure but they are much less threatening in marking contests.
    As a bigger body, Fox also makes tackles count, a trait that Wicks can provide but unfortunately also has a habit of giving away frees and losing control. Wick’s aggression is a positive if he keeps a lid on it.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    Yes, he has played an important role the last couple of games, it will be interesting to see how much that affects the structure and how they compensate for it.

Bombers Twitter feed says that Parish is out, replaced by Ben Hobbs with Dylan Shiel an emergency.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by graemed View Post
    but also he is an aerial threat ...Warner Jnr ... much less threatening in marking contests.
    I read somewhere a few weeks ago (but can't remember where) that Warner wowed the coaches and team mates over the pre-season with his leap and general aerial prowess. I do recall he scored highly in the jumping tests in his draft combine.

I guess the proof will be (in the eating of ) the pudding.

Veterans List
    Good news re Parish - seems to be somewhat maligned, but I think he's an excellent young footballer who always seems to play well against us (tho I do think he stole Luke P's 2022 AA spot).

I feel like someone on RWO called the long shot of Warner Jr tho can't now find the post - anyway, well done to whomever that was.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dow View Post
    Warner most likely the sub, not much of a Fan reminds me of Dylan Stephens
    Maybe, but he didn't cost us a top 5 draft pick. Oh, there I go again - "Move on Giant, for gods sake move on."

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Good news re Parish - seems to be somewhat maligned, but I think he's an excellent young footballer who always seems to play well against us (tho I do think he stole Luke P's 2022 AA spot).

I feel like someone on RWO called the long shot of Warner Jr tho can't now find the post - anyway, well done to whomever that was.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe, but he didn't cost us a top 5 draft pick. Oh, there I go again - "Move on Giant, for gods sake move on."
    Lol I live in Perth every time I hear Serongs name I cringe and think of Dylan Stephens - I feel your pain

Veteran Site Admin
    If anyone is (still) trying to get over the selection of Stephens over Serong, maybe you can console yourself with the possibility that we might not have drafted Warner (of the Chad variety) in the same draft had we selected Serong. Beatson explained the selection of Stephens as wanting "an inside-outside mid" - someone who could switch between the two modes. The Warner that we drafted was (I think) seen as an inside bull, with his tackling and contest work his main features.

If we had selected Serong with an eye to him becoming an inside footballer, we might have gone a different direction with that later pick. Although admittedly I am not sure if Serong was shaping up as an inside (mini)-bull as an 18yo. I think he was seen as a small forward who might be able to move into the midfield. Regardless, he's become predominantly an inside player.

I'm not convinced "ironically" is the exact right word here, but I'll use it anyway: "Ironically" Warner has become that inside/outside midfielder that Beatson was looking for. Someone who can do some inside work and attend centre bounces but also has the speed and ball usage to do damage on the edges and the outsides of packs.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    No Jack Buller in the VFL. Will he be a late replacement for Amartey/McDonald?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    No Jack Buller in the VFL. Will he be a late replacement for Amartey/McDonald?
    No. He's not listed as an emergency. Even if he were a "hidden emergency" he would be named in the VFL team, just as the actual emergencies are.

The likely explanation is that he's injured. It isn't news to us that fringe players are not consistently included in the official injury reports or lists.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast