Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Round 2 v Essendon

Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Good news re Parish - seems to be somewhat maligned, but I think he's an excellent young footballer who always seems to play well against us (tho I do think he stole Luke P's 2022 AA spot).

I feel like someone on RWO called the long shot of Warner Jr tho can't now find the post - anyway, well done to whomever that was.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe, but he didn't cost us a top 5 draft pick. Oh, there I go again - "Move on Giant, for gods sake move on."
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    If anyone is (still) trying to get over the selection of Stephens over Serong, maybe you can console yourself with the possibility that we might not have drafted Warner (of the Chad variety) in the same draft had we selected Serong. Beatson explained the selection of Stephens as wanting "an inside-outside mid" - someone who could switch between the two modes. The Warner that we drafted was (I think) seen as an inside bull, with his tackling and contest work his main features.

If we had selected Serong with an eye to him becoming an inside footballer, we might have gone a different direction with that later pick. Although admittedly I am not sure if Serong was shaping up as an inside (mini)-bull as an 18yo. I think he was seen as a small forward who might be able to move into the midfield. Regardless, he's become predominantly an inside player.

I'm not convinced "ironically" is the exact right word here, but I'll use it anyway: "Ironically" Warner has become that inside/outside midfielder that Beatson was looking for. Someone who can do some inside work and attend centre bounces but also has the speed and ball usage to do damage on the edges and the outsides of packs.
    Thanks Liz ! I do feel better

Quote Originally Posted by Dow View Post
    Thanks Liz ! I do feel better
    Nice misdirection by KB.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Exactly! Plus something strange always seems to happen when we play Essendon.
    Here is an article that focuses on the high number of recent close games between Sydney and Essendon.
    Footy's weirdest rivalry? Bizarre history of Swans v Bombers

Includes a Youtube video: 10 points or less! Why Sydney v Essendon is an underrated rivalry | AFL

Additional notes:
    Essendon has been involved in 59 games decided by 1 point. South Melbourne/Sydney has played 75. 11 of them were against each other. 5 of them before relocation (South Melbourne won 2), 6 post-relocation (Sydney won 4).

There have been 366 games decided by 1 point, 200 before 1982, 166 games since 1982. 6 one-point games for Essendon-Sydney since 1982 is way over the odds; on average there would be about ONE for every pair of teams.

- - - Updated - - -

Regardless of where the two sides are on the ladder, Essendon often provides an exciting game. Bring it on!
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries

An excellent post Liz

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    If anyone is (still) trying to get over the selection of Stephens over Serong, maybe you can console yourself with the possibility that we might not have drafted Warner (of the Chad variety) in the same draft had we selected Serong. Beatson explained the selection of Stephens as wanting "an inside-outside mid" - someone who could switch between the two modes. The Warner that we drafted was (I think) seen as an inside bull, with his tackling and contest work his main features.

If we had selected Serong with an eye to him becoming an inside footballer, we might have gone a different direction with that later pick. Although admittedly I am not sure if Serong was shaping up as an inside (mini)-bull as an 18yo. I think he was seen as a small forward who might be able to move into the midfield. Regardless, he's become predominantly an inside player.

I'm not convinced "ironically" is the exact right word here, but I'll use it anyway: "Ironically" Warner has become that inside/outside midfielder that Beatson was looking for. Someone who can do some inside work and attend centre bounces but also has the speed and ball usage to do damage on the edges and the outsides of packs.
    An excellent post Liz. I also think everyone should understand the difficulties recruiters experienced through the Covid period where travel was restricted. I can recall in discussions with Kinnear at the time he said it would not surprise him if many players slipped down the draft and the best players were in the 20 to 30 range.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BRS328 View Post
    An excellent post Liz. I also think everyone should understand the difficulties recruiters experienced through the Covid period where travel was restricted. I can recall in discussions with Kinnear at the time he said it would not surprise him if many players slipped down the draft and the best players were in the 20 to 30 range.
    While that's true, Stephens (and Serong and Warner) were drafted at the end of 2019, before COVID hit us like a steam train. So that applies more to the 2020 and 2021 drafts (with maybe some lingering effects into 2022 and 2023).

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    I so want to totally smash Essendon!!

Don’t know why, but just want us to kick a huge score.

People remember 6:30 there is another march to the SCG!

For those who couldn’t make round one march!!

Whats the March to signify ?
    Im on my bicycle but.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456