Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 3 Pre-Match Thread, vs Richmond at MCG, 4 PM Sunday 31 March 2024

im going Konstanty in a tagging role up front

I think all games are difficult in the AFL but with a team striding high and Richmond as the opponent we will take a small risk for a long term gain through out the season

even if player 23 on the list and subbed a little earlier
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    From AFL site:

SYDNEY

In: R.Fox, C.Mitchell
    Out: H.Cunningham (concussion), S.Wicks (omitted)

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    im going Konstanty in a tagging role up front

I think all games are difficult in the AFL but with a team striding high and Richmond as the opponent we will take a small risk for a long term gain through out the season

even if player 23 on the list and subbed a little earlier
    He’s an emergency- but hard from there

Mitchell to debut.
    TEAM: Mitchell to debut in Richmond clash
    TEAM: Mitchell to debut in Richmond clash

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Good on him. Apparently he’s extraordinarily dedicated - going back to his draft year when he wasn’t in the Murray Bushrangers side at the start of it, but was determined to make it, sought advice on what he had to do, and improved substantially. And his rate of improvement since missing the start of last year with glandular fever, from memory, has been exceptional.

As Dow said, he’s a powerful kick but it could be tidied up a bit. But he’s earned his debut. And there’s a bit of me - no offence to Corey Warner - that hopes he’s not the sub. Doing that to debutants must diminish the occasion a bit, and add to the nerves.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Veterans List
    Mitchell comes from that honeypot area of the draft for us. Drafted at pick 40, very close to O'Loughlin, Goodes, Parker and Reid

Should start IMO not sub

I’ve never seen Caleb Mitchell play. Have read that he’s a midfielder.

Is he an outside midfielder (wing) or more of an inside midfielder?

Which current Swans senior midfielder does he play like (Rowbottom, Chad, Heeney or Gulden?

Does he rest up forward in the reserves or does he rest up forward?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Trever View Post

Which current Swans senior midfielder does he play like (Rowbottom, Chad, Heeney or Gulden?

Last year he played almost exclusively as an outside midfielder. A wingman. At this stage of his development he's nothing like Chad, Errol, Isaac or James. McInerney is probably the closest comparison of our existing midfield, but not an especially good one - more role based than attributes based. Actually, maybe James Jordon is a slightly better comparison, but still not great.

I wasn't able to watch last week's VFL game but reports indicate he played more inside than previously. It's not uncommon for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th year smaller players to rotate through centre bounces at VFL level regardless of where they are earmarked at the next level. Dylan Stephens and Corey Warner were mainstays of our VFL onball brigade last season.

If a wing spot were to open up medium term, he'd be vying with Warner to fill that role. It's what they both seem most suited to at the moment. But roles can change as players develop. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mitchell become a mid-sized defender in due course, if that's where the opportunity is, much as Roberts has this year.

He's not especially quick but he runs hard both ways, has a bit more size than Warner but his skills are maybe a bit rougher around the edges. I've not seen him rest forward (unlike Warner, though maybe Warner did that more in 2022 than 2023) but that doesn't mean he couldn't operate in the forward line as a pressure forward.

Caleb does love to run forward at a rate of knots with ball in hand. In retrospect he can play a few posititions as a sub vs Konstanty.

No doubt we are no1 ensuring we have the best team on the paddock to win right now. It appears also a lesser criteria, but still important, to give a few kids a go ie a players that maybe needed later in the season due unforeseen injuries. Which also gives these kids a real taste of AFL and what level of intensity they need to build into their game and take back to Ressies.

Agree Liz......it is possible Caleb may even get a job up front in his his first game in the AFL (when ever that is)

ie we have seen so many young Swans have their first game up on that HFF and hustling in a tagging type role............. to ease into the big stage and isolate their errors to a part of the field that is easier to manage vs mids or back.

I was also wondering with McInerney increasing his minutes into the spine of the field ie still playing wing but also popping up with more minutes through the middle..........we are probably enjoying this part of his game and contribution. Looks like this trend will continue for Justin at the minute. It is working and especially while Patch, Mills and Parker are out. Which also provides some opportunity for some emerging outside players to get a taste when appropriate.
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 30th March 2024 at 07:13 AM.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trever View Post

To my mind he reminds me of Stuart Maxfield. Nice kick that has some serious pace.

Senior Player
    Mayfield was a brilliant kick. Hope Caleb can reach those heights.

I think he'll almost certainly be the sub, which is a bit disappointing, but I hope if/when he gets his chance, he takes his opportunity and creates some more healthy selection pressure for our side.

I don't want to jinx it, but I have a feeling we will have another strong performance tomorrow, so hopefully he'll come on when the game is all but over and be able to play with a bit of freedom and less pressure.

Sent from my SM-F936B using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast