Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rd 6 pre-match thread - Swans v Suns, SCG, Sunday 21 April

Veterans List
    Amartey as a defender!!!! He would need a lot of time in the 2's to learn the defensive craft. I think he is too soft to be a defender.

I think he would be good, floating interceptor.

Needs to be engaged in the game more, too much of a cop out for him playing fwd

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Id play Ladhams to release Mclean

Id turn Amartey into a back

Nothing to do with Melican
    Sorry I miss read, I guess we need to think out of the box - I am with Nico he’d need to spend sometime in the 2s understanding the role

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't see Amartey as a defender. I don't think he has the concentration to remain engaged in the game for the full four quarters. As a forward you can kinda get away with drifting in and out if you have a purple patch when you put score on the board (though obviously it would be preferable to remain engaged for the whole game). But as a defender you most certainly cannot pick and choose.

When Parker is ready to come back, I think there's a chance the coaches will abandon (or think about abandoning for now) the three tall forward set-up and play Parker as a medium forward to replace one of them for most of the game (maybe with a few minutes high impact around the ball each quarter). I wouldn't replace Hayward or Fox with Parker as I doubt he will be able to do all the work up and down the ground that they do, particularly if he is to have a few minutes each quarter on-ball. But he can provide more intensity and pressure around forward fifty contests than we're getting at the moment from the three talls combination.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't see Amartey as a defender. I don't think he has the concentration to remain engaged in the game for the full four quarters. As a forward you can kinda get away with drifting in and out if you have a purple patch when you put score on the board (though obviously it would be preferable to remain engaged for the whole game). But as a defender you most certainly cannot pick and choose.

When Parker is ready to come back, I think there's a chance the coaches will abandon (or think about abandoning for now) the three tall forward set-up and play Parker as a medium forward to replace one of them for most of the game (maybe with a few minutes high impact around the ball each quarter). I wouldn't replace Hayward or Fox with Parker as I doubt he will be able to do all the work up and down the ground that they do, particularly if he is to have a few minutes each quarter on-ball. But he can provide more intensity and pressure around forward fifty contests than we're getting at the moment from the three talls combination.
    I don’t think our 3 talls have worked- we’ve still been out marked a lot when we bomb forward. Amartey needs more time in the ressies to learn his craft and improve concentration. He has the potential, as we all know, but needs to be much more effective, though he has scored some good goals. And his goal kicking technique needs work as he misses too many gettable shots. No way can he play down back- can’t concentrate or read the play well enough.

Parks in the forward line is the way to go- he can apply pressure and is a good mark and kick for goal. Has the strength and experience to intimidate any defence. Maybe a few very brief runs in midfield until Millsy comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    I don’t think our 3 talls have worked- we’ve still been out marked a lot when we bomb forward. Amartey needs more time in the ressies to learn his craft and improve concentration. He has the potential, as we all know, but needs to be much more effective, though he has scored some good goals. And his goal kicking technique needs work as he misses too many gettable shots. No way can he play down back- can’t concentrate or read the play well enough.

Parks in the forward line is the way to go- he can apply pressure and is a good mark and kick for goal. Has the strength and experience to intimidate any defence. Maybe a few very brief runs in midfield until Millsy comes back.
    If Ratagolea can make the switch, i think Amartey can to

Rd 6 pre-match thread - Swans v Suns, SCG, Sunday 21 April

Amartey (almost 25yo) is fitter this year and is a good mark when he gets to the ball but too often gets caught behind as despite the improved off season he still doesn't have the aerobic capacity for an AFL forward. Agree his concentration will be further exposed. Our midfield continues to be an issue Gurndy has improved us but Chad gets caught too often when he plays deep inside - Heeney, Rowie we are missing one more to run through the middle a big body like Petracca/Horne-F/Reid/Rowell. Forward would be better balance to have two medium, two tall and two quick forwards and Parker would be a good fit for this and rotating through the midfield. Pelican has not proven to be a direct replacement for Patty McCartin as they are different players so not the same intercept and rebound but an excellent one on one player for the back 7 and the backline is working well especially when Rampe is there.
    Out: Amartey
    In: Wicks who sadly I believe is more likely to play in the Ressies till the end of the year before finding a new club.
    Last edited by Meg; 18th April 2024 at 03:31 PM.

Only problem with Parker is that he keeps giving too many frees at times. He just needs to be smart and if given just the forward role, hopefully he tidies up the frees and then he can be the deep forward for us.
    We need to get more bang for buck from Campbell and Jordan in the middle of the ground or one of them is a goner when Mills comes back.
    David King spoke about our stats and what we are doing in terms of post contest possession etc, it seems we are getting beaten in the middle and a few players like Gulden, Heeney and Warner and Papley are keeping us going. But given we were missing three important players in the middle, the overall result won't be very displeasing to Longmire. But if we can get more power and control in the middle we probably will be able to push Parker in the forward half and Mills to the back half. But mind you this is only the start of Adams journey with us. Who knows, he may make us better at the contest.

Parker not available until next round. I quite like the idea of Parker shifting forward.

I don’t think we can abandon the three tall forwards because I don’t think Logan is quite ready to shoulder the 1st or 2nd tall option. Logan is developing quite well being the 3rd tall and the two older guys taking on more of the physical work.

I don’t think we bring in Hameling to play on Ethan Reid. I read that Reid is an incredible endurance runner even at 202cm tall and I think he would run Hameling into the ground. I would get Blakey to play on Ethan Reid. Blakey is a great endurance runner and will force Reid to have to work defensively. Melicam on Welter and McCartin on King.

Parker has to be fwd/mid 80/20

FWD
    Pros- Great mark and kicks straight
    Cons- Too slow for pressure

Mid
    Pros - A clearance beast in tight
    Cons - Holds the ball up too much
    Slow to get behind mark

Veterans List
    Wicks has been named in the extended squad along with Ladhams, Francis and Cleary.

https://www.instagram.com/afl/reel/C5sYG8cL3zN/

I wonder if and of the Swans players are going to pull out this celebration:

“Whats up brother
    Special Teams, Speacial Plays, Special Players
    Tuesday, Tuesday”

It’s taken the internet by storm and literally every teenager is saying it.

The Swans player just needs to stick one finger up and then flap both hands to the side. Just like the crows player.

If you see this celebration on Sunday you now know what it’s about.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast