Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rd 6 pre-match thread - Swans v Suns, SCG, Sunday 21 April

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Wicks has been named in the extended squad along with Ladhams, Francis and Cleary.
    Mitchell is omitted. The inclusions are four different players: small forward, ruck/forward?, defender, midfielder. Gives good coverage if there's a late withdrawal.

Could Cleary be making his debut?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    The words Reid and quad are never good in the one sentence. Season and career over, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor 01 View Post
    Talented footballer whose body could not endure the rigors of playing AFL football. Always remember his games towards the end of 2022 which was a big reason we made the GF. Bye Sammy.
    Wow...game, set and match aparently!
    Last edited by stevoswan; 18th April 2024 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Wicks has been named in the extended squad along with Ladhams, Francis and Cleary.
    Kane Cornes reckons Wicks will.play in the seniors this Sunday, according to his intel.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Amartey as a defender!!!! He would need a lot of time in the 2's to learn the defensive craft. I think he is too soft to be a defender.
    I don't think he is too soft but I am not convinced he has the tank to play as a defender. Without checking, our backs seems to have some of the highest numbers when looking at Time On Ground.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Kane Cornes reckons Wicks will.play in the seniors this Sunday, according to his intel.
    I hope so. There's an additional reason I reckon he's structurally important, which goes a bit to how teams are starting to try to play against us.

They know if they let us run amok through the corridor, our speed and kicking skills will slaughter them. So they are determined to guard that at all costs. They also know we don't currently have an array of strong, down-the-line, or inside 50 contested marking forwards. Think Reid at his best.

Hayden is very good, but not often high production. Amartey is fluky, and while Logan is developing his contested marking nicely, it's not his one wood. Teams are feasting off the spillage and turnover, and sweeping away - exaggerated by the fact I don't think our defensive run is as good as it could be.

You do need someone like Wicks, and preferably a second forward able to contribute defensively, to guard against their exits, close space, and lay some defensive pressure on players trying for the quick transition. Wicks has his limitations as a player, but he's very good at this.

It's easy to critique the need for it, but most of the top sides have players fulfilling these roles.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Wicks will likely play, but only as a sub.

Wicks as sub works for me.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Just on team selection it would be good to see Sheldrick and Buller picked to play VFL football this Sunday.

Really concerned around the back six, not sure this works, a lot of players out of form in this group.

Wicks works for me as the sub

- not confident, lets hope they have found there mojo over the break or it could be a very long day

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn’t be surprised if they send Miller to Heeney this time. He’s got the tank and strength to go with him, albeit he’d get exposed in a leading or marking situation when Isaac drifts forward from the contest on one of those big looping runs.

Hope they play Fox in the backline with Rampe out.

Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Hope they play Fox in the backline with Rampe out.
    Me too, best suited down there, victim of his own versatility

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast