Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rd 6 pre-match thread - Swans v Suns, SCG, Sunday 21 April

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    That’s underselling Hardwick, he didn’t coast into a good list at Richmond, it took a long time for him to build to those premierships and the credit is his.

Also Chris Scott would be considered above Longmire as well
    If I recall correctly, Hardwick was on the verge of being sacked when things turned around at Richmond. Only a great team wins flags in a row in this comp and it’s fair to say that their management was top notch then and instrumental in assembling the team. I don’t want to take any credit away from Hardwick as Richmond’s rein was phenomenal, but I didn’t like the way he jumped ship and then all of a sudden announced that he did want to coach after all. Yes, there’s lots of talent at GC and after being raped by Vic clubs for so many years, they finally are very competitive. So virtually any AFL coach would achieve with this group. But for now, let’s just beat them!

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    The words Reid and quad are never good in the one sentence. Season and career over, unfortunately.
    Talented footballer whose body could not endure the rigors of playing AFL football. Always remember his games towards the end of 2022 which was a big reason we made the GF. Bye Sammy.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I am very nervous about this game. If Grundy doesn't break even with Witts it could be a long afternoon for our Backs. Witts feeding the Suns mids on our shorter ground could be very dangerous. Is it worth considering bringing in Ladhams, and dropping Amartey, to try and "work over" Witts?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    If I recall correctly, Hardwick was on the verge of being sacked when things turned around at Richmond. Only a great team wins flags in a row in this comp and it’s fair to say that their management was top notch then and instrumental in assembling the team. I don’t want to take any credit away from Hardwick as Richmond’s rein was phenomenal, but I didn’t like the way he jumped ship and then all of a sudden announced that he did want to coach after all. Yes, there’s lots of talent at GC and after being raped by Vic clubs for so many years, they finally are very competitive. So virtually any AFL coach would achieve with this group. But for now, let’s just beat them!
    I recall Natan Buckley was also on the verge of being sacked at the Pies in the same year. Both won extensions. One went onto a premiership dynasty the other losing 2018 GF by a whisker.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    I am very nervous about this game. If Grundy doesn't break even with Witts it could be a long afternoon for our Backs. Witts feeding the Suns mids on our shorter ground could be very dangerous. Is it worth considering bringing in Ladhams, and dropping Amartey, to try and "work over" Witts?
    No VFL games recently to justify Ladhams coming in given his reportedly poor attitude (giving away free kicks) and lack of impact in his last VFL game.

Do we need Francis as another taller defender? Or Wicks up front to replace Mitchell who played only 2 minutes last game?

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    No VFL games recently to justify Ladhams coming in given his reportedly poor attitude (giving away free kicks) and lack of impact in his last VFL game.

Do we need Francis as another taller defender? Or Wicks up front to replace Mitchell who played only 2 minutes last game?
    He has played twice, got it 20 times twice, kick 4 goals in 1 game.

Played against Naismith in the 2nd game.

We are better off going in with 2 rucks and having them matchup on us rather than trying to take Witts 1 out.

Again, its about what it releases Mclean to do.

Id turn Amartey into a backman.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Massive danger game. Suns have clearly improved under Hardwick and they have a lot of very good young players. I would not be surprised if we ended up dropping this one.

I even ended up having a dream last night where the Suns won the Grand Final by about six goals and Hardwick's "80%" remarks proved to be prescient. Given their list, it wouldn't surprise me if this happened in the next few years.

Regarding team selection:
    * Parker's still 1 week away according to the injury list, and isn't doing contact training yet. That suggests he's more than a week away.
    * Sheldrick a test. I hope he passes. However, he won't have enough match fitness. I expect him to play in the VFL this weekend for 2 or 3 quarters.
    * Sun's good forward line suggests Hamling may be considered.

Possible changes:
    In: Hamling
    Out: Mitchell
    Sub: Jordon
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Massive danger game. Suns have clearly improved under Hardwick and they have a lot of very good young players. I would not be surprised if we ended up dropping this one.
    I've often felt that the Suns was a danger game in the past, though the numbers don't really back it up: 5-3 (W-L) at the SCG and 2-2 in the past 4 games. We'd joke about "Dew's inside knowledge" when he was coach but I don't know if it was really a significant factor.

I'll be interested to see how their tactics differ this time. Last time Miller was the hard tag on Errol for much of the game which was effective, but something of a waste of Miller I'd have thought. I'd be surprised if Hardwick goes with that.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    He has played twice, got it 20 times twice, kick 4 goals in 1 game.

Played against Naismith in the 2nd game.

We are better off going in with 2 rucks and having them matchup on us rather than trying to take Witts 1 out.

Again, its about what it releases Mclean to do.

Id turn Amartey into a backman.
    I am curious what makes you think Amartey would be any better back than fwd. ? and release Melican to do what? he's not and interceptor and skills are average at best - his best quality is his one on one ability where he has only lost one on once contest for the year (according to champion data) - Not a dig ? genuine question because I believe we are desperate for at least 2 quality Backmen and if your seeing something I am not Id love to here it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dow View Post
    I am curious what makes you think Amartey would be any better back than fwd. ? and release Melican to do what? he's not and interceptor and skills are average at best - his best quality is his one on one ability where he has only lost one on once contest for the year (according to champion data) - Not a dig ? genuine question because I believe we are desperate for at least 2 quality Backmen and if your seeing something I am not Id love to here it.
    Id play Ladhams to release Mclean

Id turn Amartey into a back

Nothing to do with Melican

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Plus of course, if the northern academies produce more kids for the NSW and Qld clubs to draft, then there should be more Victorian kids available for Victorian clubs.
    The Victorian clubs must surely know this. But of course that will be conveniently left out of the conversation. Now that academies are producing good quality kids to stay in their own states, the Victorian clubs scream unfair. I for one am happy Richmond are struggling after they thought they had trumped the comp by poaching Taranto and Hopper. Then they were happy with themselves when they picked up the Boarding House cup of tea (big and weak) Koschitzke from Hawthorn.

Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Id play Ladhams to release Mclean

Id turn Amartey into a back

Nothing to do with Melican
    Ladhams for Amartey this week
    Amartey a defender longer term

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast