Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 5: the other games.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    How did we ever lose to Richmond? The lads should return their pay packets.
    Came here just to say exactly that. Hopefully it's not a loss we look back on and curse come the end of the season.

Sent from my CPH2307 using Tapatalk
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    They are missing some key players that played against us, eg Lynch. Taranto and at least 1-2 more.

Senior Player
    This whole score review thing is really getting silly. It's like the goal umps have totally lost confidence in their own abilities to
    make a decision. Some of the reviews in this WC-Tigers game that's on now are just ridiculous.
    It's not going to happen, but as both these teams have absolutely no chance of not finishing at the bottom of the ladder this
    year, it's a pity the AFL just doesn't say before the game it doesn't matter one iota if a mistake is made by the goal umps and
    just not use the review system at all in schedule filler games like this one.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Came here just to say exactly that. Hopefully it's not a loss we look back on and curse come the end of the season.

They were on at home and we were off. Two of their two best players were Lynch and Taranto, who didn't play today. We lost Rampe early and were vulnerable at the back.

It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    They were on at home and we were off. Two of their two best players were Lynch and Taranto, who didn't play today. We lost Rampe early and were vulnerable at the back.

It happens.
    Yes I know it does - but still was a very disappointing performance on the day.

The main point I was making was I hope it isn't a game we look back on and see it as the difference between for instance top 8 and top 4, or dare one dream top 4 and top 2. But plenty of footy to be played before that is a consideration, and we will probably throw in a few other stinkers along the way, as most teams will.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    Fair question but we were definitely off that day (maybe the Wicks thing? Losing Ramps early?) and only lost by 5 points.....but I'd prefer to conclude that it makes our win last week look even better. I've moved on from Richmond....looking back at negatives changes nothing.

Yeah. "My call is a behind, I just want to see if it hit the post".

Replay: it missed the post.

Logic,: it doesn't matter if it hit the post!

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post

I think there were other things in play to upset players psyche for that game & half the next.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    They are missing some key players that played against us, eg Lynch. Taranto and at least 1-2 more.
    We still should have beaten them by 10 goals but we lost. Our mindset was all wrong that day. Poor efforts, no little or no defensive running. Getting caught out the back, disposal efficiency down to 50%. Yu can't tell me something was not wrong.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Sydney has won only 3 of its last 10 games at the MCG. Losses to good teams like Melbourne and Collingwood are understandable, but those losses included losses to Essendon (2022) and two losses to Richmond in the past 12 months.

Sydney has a habit of dropping winnable games against Richmond. Most of the losses to Richmond in the last 25 years have happened when Richmond finished lower on the ladder than Sydney.

Egregious examples:
    * Sydney lost by a point to Richmond in 2016 when Sydney finished on top of the ladder and Richmond were well out of contention; Sydney flogged Richmond by over 100 points later in the season.
    * 2004: Sydney made finals, Richmond finished last with four wins. Richmond won at the SCG by 13 points in round 7. It was Richmond's first win outside Victoria since Round 10, 2001 and they would not win again outside Victoria until round 9, 2005.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Sydney has won only 3 of its last 10 games at the MCG. Losses to good teams like Melbourne and Collingwood are understandable, but those losses included losses to Essendon (2022) and two losses to Richmond in the past 12 months.

Sydney has a habit of dropping winnable games against Richmond. Most of the losses to Richmond in the last 25 years have happened when Richmond finished lower on the ladder than Sydney.

Egregious examples:
    * Sydney lost by a point to Richmond in 2016 when Sydney finished on top of the ladder and Richmond were well out of contention; Sydney flogged Richmond by over 100 points later in the season.
    * 2004: Sydney made finals, Richmond finished last with four wins. Richmond won at the SCG by 13 points in round 7. It was Richmond's first win outside Victoria since Round 10, 2001 and they would not win again outside Victoria until round 9, 2005.
    was that 2004 game the one Richo kicked 7-8 goals in the wet?
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    This whole score review thing is really getting silly. It's like the goal umps have totally lost confidence in their own abilities to
    make a decision. Some of the reviews in this WC-Tigers game that's on now are just ridiculous.
    It's not going to happen, but as both these teams have absolutely no chance of not finishing at the bottom of the ladder this
    year, it's a pity the AFL just doesn't say before the game it doesn't matter one iota if a mistake is made by the goal umps and
    just not use the review system at all in schedule filler games like this one.
    After the controversy from our game against Adelaide last year, the AFL have instructed the goal umpires to review decisions if there is any doubt. The problem is that they are reviewing nearly everything, even the obvious ones. I guess it's better to check than risk a mistake that could cost a game. But there is so much time wasting.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post

Egregious examples:
    Was the 2016 game when Towers should have kicked short to Buddy, but he went long to Tippett (I think)? Tippett should have been paid a free, (which of course the umpire missed), and Richmond took the ball to their forward line and kicked a goal after the siren to win the game. I was at that game ☹.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast