Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 8 vs GWS at the SCG on Saturday May 4th at 1:45pm 2024.

alright my rant over.

Back to the thread

lol

I cant wait for this game !!!!

Doesnt get much better for a Saturday afternoon at the SCG !!!!!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    For those who missed article on the AFL site, it also said Hayward was a bit sore and has to get through the shortened break to play this weekend.

So he might be rested.
    I think you might be right.

In: Parker
    Out: Hayward (managed)

Puts off the selection issues for another week. I'm guessing that Rampe waits one more week. No point naming him if he's not fully fit for a wet-weather game.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Hi Liz

No probs we have a different point of view.

For me an injury list update is to keep us loyal fans aware, educated and informed.

I love Callum as a player and love that he is our next Captain but the Swans media spin on this was grating as a minimum ! I dont think it is unfair to call them out on this.

People make mistakes. Mills made a good'n. So be it. We move on..................but our spinning of the story did not and it hit a raw nerve with me as it was opposite to the values I share with this great club. For no real gain either !

I totally agree I am no surgeon nor sports conditioner................but this injury has always been a very tricky one to manage and 9months and 100% healed is a great outcome for a pro athlete.......... I would be amazed that the length of recovery for this injury is not common knowledge among all the decades of experience in the media and ex players.

There is well over 1000 players in the AFL AFLW each year and some players encounter this niggling annoying surgery / rehab injury.

Even if the Swans in the first few months simply said that it is a tricky injury to heal and they will be taking a conservative long term minded approach over the next 6 to 9months that would do me.

It was the blatant evasive Comms approach re Callum and the stark contrast to all other players on the injury list and us receiving transparency.

I mean we are all grown ups..........why cant we hear the truth re the injury list? Usually we do !

This messaging took a few months to change to mid season return.

For me it was a very very very evasive comms strategy and annoying and undermined what the envious qualities that the Bloods Club stands for.
    Who says he wasn't tracking ahead of schedule (entirely possible) and that the calf injury has now set him back and maybe they don't update Longterm injuries until they are entirely sure. I wouldn't take it so personally - but we all agree we cant wait to get him back

Pushing for Selection
    Hi Liz

For me an injury list update is to keep us loyal fans aware, educated and informed.

I love Callum as a player and love that he is our next Captain but the Swans media spin on this was grating as a minimum ! I dont think it is unfair to call them out on this.

People make mistakes. Mills made a good'n. So be it. We move on..................but our spinning of the story did not and it hit a raw nerve with me as it was opposite to the values I share with this great club. For no real gain either !

I totally agree I am no surgeon nor sports conditioner................but this injury has always been a very tricky one to manage and 9months and 100% healed is a great outcome for a pro athlete.......... I would be amazed that the length of recovery for this injury is not common knowledge among all the decades of experience in the media and ex players.

There is well over 1000 players in the AFL AFLW each year and some players encounter this niggling annoying surgery / rehab injury.

Even if the Swans in the first few months simply said that it is a tricky injury to heal and they will be taking a conservative long term minded approach over the next 6 to 9months that would do me.

It was the blatant evasive Comms approach re Callum and the stark contrast to all other players on the injury list and us receiving transparency.

I mean we are all grown ups..........why cant we hear the truth re the injury list? Usually we do !

For me it was a very very very evasive comms strategy and annoying and undermined what the envious qualities that the Bloods Club stands for.
    Maybe Callum wrestling a 1st year player and sustaining a 9 month injury has been the making of the Swans 2024 season. Without Mill’s injury and Parker’s injury Heeney would be nowhere near as prominent as he is now. Heeney would have stuck 80% up forward fighting for the ball like Hayward.

Heeney at the current time is the best player in the game. This would never have happened without Mills being injured. Heeney’s 7 games this year in the midfield have been better than any stretch of 7 games that Mills has put together in the midfield by a long way.

This is perhaps going to be toughest test of Longmire’s rein as Swans coach. Does Longmire have the strength to tell Mills and Parker that sorry boys this inside midfield belongs to Heeney and Chad now with Rowbottom doing the defensive stuff?

Leave Isaac to be Issac. Mills and Parker will have to play different roles.

Veterans List
    Hi Liz

After reading this, part of me wants to say 'I have no idea what your gripe is'.....but I'm guessing you are implying that our club is using a calf injury to sneakily reveal what they knew all along about Callum's shoulder recovery timeline.....and therefore have been lying to us this whole time?

Boy and we go on about the footy media sometimes jumping to clickbait conclusions!

Who can be angry at the club for trying to be optimistic from the outset about an injury to one of our most important players and future sole captain?

Sorry AG but I think you are drawing a very long bow here.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 1st May 2024 at 09:03 PM.

Who normally plays on Toby Greene? Rampe isn’t it?

I would imagine there will be a lot of pondering over matchups especially if Hayward doesn’t play, given he often plays on the opposition’s best interceptor.

Hey Stevo

It’s not about the recent injury for Callum

Callum has struggled with Achilles tendinitis and calf strains most of his AFL career.

It was that the Swans were not transparent re his rotator cuff injury and estimated time to recover when the media and players and many supporters know that it is a tricky injury / surgery to rehab from and was always going to be around 9months which it is right now since his surgery.

The Swans did t seem to like the headlines of out for 9months and second time Callum had a significant accident via post season mad Mondays etc.

It just frustrated me that the Swans Media shut up shop for the first few months (post Callum’s surgery) not acknowledging the approx length of time to recover and not tell the truth.

Every other player on the injury list ….the Swans provide a good indication of injury and recovery time.

Callums reporting was a making out it was a mystery and an outlier for recovery / return to footy for months post surgery. It wasn’t until week 1 Feb when the Swans announced Mills as sole captain that they started to say mid season 2024 for a return.

It just stunk of a cover up. Yet it was obvious that he was out for way longer than the club wanted to communicate.

Why would the Swans do this?

Why not take it on the chin and move on?

Why not own up rather than cover up?

Why did the Swans choose to this for Callum only?

It is just not what the Bloods stand for so why bend? Why hide?

Veteran Site Admin
    Hey Stevo

It’s not about the recent injury for Callum

Callum has struggled with Achilles tendinitis and calf strains most of his AFL career.

It was that the Swans were not transparent re his rotator cuff injury and estimated time to recover when the media and players and many supporters know that it is a tricky injury / surgery to rehab from and was always going to be around 9months which it is right now since his surgery.

The Swans did t seem to like the headlines of out for 9months and second time Callum had a significant accident via post season mad Mondays etc.

It just frustrated me that the Swans Media shut up shop for the first few months (post Callum’s surgery) not acknowledging the approx length of time to recover and not tell the truth.

Every other player on the injury list ….the Swans provide a good indication of injury and recovery time.

Callums reporting was a making out it was a mystery and an outlier for recovery / return to footy for months post surgery. It wasn’t until week 1 Feb when the Swans announced Mills as sole captain that they started to say mid season 2024 for a return.

It just stunk of a cover up. Yet it was obvious that he was out for way longer than the club wanted to communicate.

Why would the Swans do this?

Why not take it on the chin and move on?

Why not own up rather than cover up?

Why did the Swans choose to this for Callum only?

It is just not what the Bloods stand for so why bend? Why hide?
    The other - and more likely - possibility is that there was a lot of uncertainty around the time frame.

I see no reason to presume "cover up" or misleading communication or mystery.

If it is simply the case that he's tweaked a calf as he starts to ramp up his running (and I see no reason to doubt this), does that not illustrate just how hard it is to put definitive timelines on long term injuries?

Veterans List
    I agree with Liz....no club has a crystal ball.

Rampe is a great match-up for the Toby but I prefer Florent for this job. I want to see how accountable we can make him and his lack of sustained pace and endurance can be exposed.
    If available I prefer Rampe on Ricardi or even the Irishman.
    Obviously I worry about his injuries when stretched but if he’s not fit he won’t be selected, will he?
    GWS has a great balance but their strongest asset this year has been their ability to go forward with pace and create an overlap. We must be able to win our share of one on ones, Blakey, Melican and McCartin have been outstanding at interception but GWS are so accomplished with ball in hand that turnovers will be only brought about by pressure on the ball carrier.
    Campbell, Rowbottom, McInerney, et al must be able to break down their connections at source. We must tackle with precision. Last week we managed the levels that had been missing against both Richmond and West Coast, if we drop below that intensity then their attacking players will cut us up.
    Whitfield is a key and Wicks or Fox must lock him down. They are vulnerable only if we don’t bomb long to a contest, we need time and space to hit leading players because Taylor and Buckley are outstanding aerialists. I believe Hayward and Parker could be the keys here. Let’s draw their tall defenders away and kick to those two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the veteran's list
    Rampe for Campbell

Big in with Ramps back, smart to give Parker more time and Campbell needs game time (and in the midfield)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast