Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: Round 8 Match Thread: Swans v GWS at SCG

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I watched back the fourth quarter yesterday, and there was a brilliant bit of play that summed up where we are at - the Heeney goal.

The typical midfield contribution at the restart - Rowie smashing Ward in a tackle to turn it over, Chad bursting through the contest with the ball, a quick, lovely soft handball from Jordon, and then the polish from Heeney to finish - was there for all to see.

But there's a field-wide shot from above and behind the goals on the replay, and every single player is positioned just perfectly. From Rampe holding his position as the deepest player, to Roberts tracking his man wide to close off the open side exit from the 50 . . . even if the Giants had won the ball, they had nowhere to go. No wonder they looked strangled in the second half. Just awesome.

(Plus, the sight of Paps going off on the bench like he'd kicked the goal was hysterical.)
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    If I had to put a figure on it I would say less than 1,000. There was a small group of approximately 300 in the forward pocket at the city end, and from where I was sitting I could not see other groups of orange.
    I think it is a serious concern. You could not use the excuse that the Swans did not allocate GWS enough seats because whenever we play other teams from interstate there is generally a vocal group of supporters at the game. This was not evident on Saturday with GWS

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Coaches votes:

Chad - 10
    Rampe - 7
    Errol - 6
    Hayward - 5
    Heeney - 1
    Buckley - 1

Hard to argue with much there (bar the Buckley vote ...). Agree that Chad was BOG by a small margin, but BOG nonetheless - and particularly pleased Rampe got major nods. He really is exceptional.

Coaches' votes, R8: Essendon captain Zach Merrett closes the gap to Isaac Heeney, SEVEN perfect 10s

Imagine of Heeney nailed 2 of his misses................i really did think he would have nailed them

He would have been 7 pts minimum
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Coaches votes:

Chad - 10
    Rampe - 7
    Errol - 6
    Hayward - 5
    Heeney - 1
    Buckley - 1

Hard to argue with much there (bar the Buckley vote ...). Agree that Chad was BOG by a small margin, but BOG nonetheless - and particularly pleased Rampe got major nods. He really is exceptional.

Coaches' votes, R8: Essendon captain Zach Merrett closes the gap to Isaac Heeney, SEVEN perfect 10s
    Yeah, I had no clear idea of who was BOG: unlike some games where it's obvious. I wouldn't have been all that surprised if it was Grundy, but he didn't even get a vote.

Warner breaking lines and not getting caught was huge

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries

In particular I loved this bit uninformed: (in reference to Gulden's kicking and where they generally go):

"Spoiler alert for many players, it’s his teammates."
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Just read the “Nine Things We Learned” segment on the AFL site. Seriously, after what was an outstanding win by the mighty Bloods the whole section from our match is about the Giants. The Swannies don’t even get a mention by name. Extraordinary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Swans statement win over the team who had been seen as premiership favourites has been largely overlooked in the media. It’s not in most talking points of the round. Buckley has ignored it.

Long may that continue. I think we are better when we fly “under the radar”

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post
    Swans statement win over the team who had been seen as premiership favourites has been largely overlooked in the media. It’s not in most talking points of the round. Buckley has ignored it.

It's a farce down in Vic. There was this, King and Whateley on SEN yesterday only gave us a mention in there seedings, AFL 360 was completely barren, and On the Couch only mentioned us in the context of analysing the Giants.

Like, did we just luck our way to the top of the table?!

Quote Originally Posted by Markwebbos View Post

Agree it’s better if we fly under the radar. The lack of respect for a great win is galling, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kafka's Ghost View Post
    Agree it’s better if we fly under the radar. The lack of respect for a great win is galling, though.

I hope that the total disrespect might be used as a huge motivator for the Swans.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718