Thread: New Indigenous Round guernsey (2024)

Veteran Site Admin

New Indigenous Round guernsey (2024)

Designed by Richard Campbell, uncle of James Bell.

Sydney Swans 2024 Nike Mens Indigenous Guernsey

I think it's the most intricate of the guernseys we've had so far in the sense that there are a lot of different elements with their own meaning. But I think it works. It's still cohesive. And my previous favourite guernsey was the black swan so I'm thrilled to see it make a return in the 2024 guernsey.

Here's an explanation of how the guernsey came about and what each of the elements means to Campbell (text but with an embedded video that is definitely worth watching).

New Marn Grook Guernsey unveiled
    Last edited by liz; 6th May 2024 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typo

Yes, personally I think that's the best one so far. And I always look forward to each season's crop of indigenous guernseys, because there's always at least a few stunningly good bits of artwork amongst them.

And for anyone wondering what James Bell is doing these days: he's playing for Glenelg in the SANFL and seems to be doing pretty well. He's actually one of quite a few academy players currently in SA. At Sturt, there's Anderson, Giacometti and Puncher. Van Huisstede, Pfrengle and Casalini are at North Adelaide. Hamish Ellem has been at West Adelaide for a few years, but is currently injured.

Quote Originally Posted by dejavoodoo44 View Post
    Yes, personally I think that's the best one so far. And I always look forward to each season's crop of indigenous guernseys, because there's always at least a few stunningly good bits of artwork amongst them.

And for anyone wondering what James Bell is doing these days: he's playing for Glenelg in the SANFL and seems to be doing pretty well. He's actually one of quite a few academy players currently in SA. At Sturt, there's Anderson, Giacometti and Puncher. Van Huisstede, Pfrengle and Casalini are at North Adelaide. Hamish Ellem has been at West Adelaide for a few years, but is currently injured.
    +1 one it being the best design so far. Really, really like it.

Glad to hear James Bell is still playing and going pretty well. Always liked him - not quite good enough for AFL, but not for lack of trying. Your list there deja is great evidence of the wider benefits of the academies, that those in the traditional footy states I suspect choose to deliberately ignore when they are screaming 'draft rort' from the top of their lungs. Long may that side of the positive outcomes from them continue, along with the elite players that come through as well.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veterans List
    At first I wasn't sure if I liked it, but once I saw a photo of it actually worn by someone (Errol), it really impressed me. You can see all the details clearly.

Veterans List
    Just wanted to say how great the guernsey looked last night. I loved how the Red and White at the front was reversed compared to our normal guernsey.