Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Round 10 vs Carlton at SCG, 7:40 PM, Friday 17 May 2024

What a challenge to pick the INS and OUTS this week against a very good team. We have had such good run and we are in form and everyone has been playing well enough.

You could mount an argument for all players from last week to stay and or a few to be promoted from Ressies.

With match ups in the Blues backline and McCartin still out I sense on the smaller SCG we will need Francis to stay in with Fox the Sub. The spoil and height of Francis will be important early on in the first half when more congested and willing. If the game opens up more then Fox would be a handy sub for the backline.

Although I like Robbo on the SCG, he did look tired and off the pace last week in Freeo. He is only young and it has been a big 10 weeks in Snrs. Robbo will be there there about every week from now on anyway, so a week off might be good for him this week to freshen up. Campbell sliced it up in Ressies and his kicking, run and speed off the mark will be very handy this week in my opinion.

The next question is “are we a better team right now with Luke Parker in the 23?”

I think we are. Yet it is complicated because of the rise and rise of Heeney in 2024 playing somewhat Lukes past role and at an elite level. So for me I would have JJ playing more Sam Wicks role and drop Sam Wicks this week to get Parker back in the team and especially on the smaller SCG.

JJ has many strings to his bow vs Sam wicks primarily a pressure small forward only. Sam has been playing ok but JJ much better.

JJ has been spending some of the time up front anyway and between Patch, Parker and JJ rotating through the forwards and midfield along with Warner getting a little time one on one up front also…..I think there is less dependency on a one dimensional player like Wicks only playing in the forwards as a pressure role.

Isn’t it amazing that we are in a cycle where Parker and Campbell are not automatic INS.

Loving this season and look forward to see Parks back on the SCG along with BJ.

INS

Parker
    Campbell

OUTS

Roberts
    Wicks

Sub-Fox

Regular in the Side
    like wome what aunties changes, except it would be harry C dropped instead of roberts. Harry is slowing down and his icking is just so so

JJ has been tagging the oppositions most creative half-back with great success. I can’t imagine they’ll change his role to replace Sam Wicks.

It is hard to see where Luke Parker would improve the team other than as a replacement for Adams.

Campbell surely comes back at some point but the question is where? He’s never really found his niche

It’s interesting Mark how we will all slice and dice selections this year with such a deep list.

For me Parks at his best last season is an auto in this season.

For me JJ has also been playing in the mids as well as the forwards so he can easily increase his forward time this weekend.

I think Robert’s looked tired and trailed his player a lot last week. BJ looked sharp and ready in ressies.

It will be fascinating because we are winning and no one likes change when winning.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    What a challenge to pick the INS and OUTS this week against a very good team. We have had such good run and we are in form and everyone has been playing well enough.

You could mount an argument for all players from last week to stay and or a few to be promoted from Ressies.

With match ups in the Blues backline and McCartin still out I sense on the smaller SCG we will need Francis to stay in with Fox the Sub. The spoil and height of Francis will be important early on in the first half when more congested and willing. If the game opens up more then Fox would be a handy sub for the backline.

Although I like Robbo on the SCG, he did look tired and off the pace last week in Freeo. He is only young and it has been a big 10 weeks in Snrs. Robbo will be there there about every week from now on anyway, so a week off might be good for him this week to freshen up. Campbell sliced it up in Ressies and his kicking, run and speed off the mark will be very handy this week in my opinion.

The next question is “are we a better team right now with Luke Parker in the 23?”

I think we are. Yet it is complicated because of the rise and rise of Heeney in 2024 playing somewhat Lukes past role and at an elite level. So for me I would have JJ playing more Sam Wicks role and drop Sam Wicks this week to get Parker back in the team and especially on the smaller SCG.

JJ has many strings to his bow vs Sam wicks primarily a pressure small forward only. Sam has been playing ok but JJ much better.

JJ has been spending some of the time up front anyway and between Patch, Parker and JJ rotating through the forwards and midfield along with Warner getting a little time one on one up front also…..I think there is less dependency on a one dimensional player like Wicks only playing in the forwards as a pressure role.

Isn’t it amazing that we are in a cycle where Parker and Campbell are not automatic INS.

Loving this season and look forward to see Parks back on the SCG along with BJ.

INS

Parker
    Campbell

OUTS

Roberts
    Wicks

Sub-Fox
    I think this is a neat solution to a difficult problem. While acknowledging, as you have, that both Roberts and Wicks have been very strong and would be unlucky to lose their spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    The game is SOLD OUT .
    Perrotett is doubtful , busted up finger.
    Does anyone know what this means for GA members? Can we still just rock up to the game 30 min before the bounce and get a seat? Cheers

Also my suggested changes for FWIW are-

OUTS: Roberts (rested), Francis (omitted)
    INS: Parker (sub), Edwards

Fox to start in defence. Francis was horrible on the weekend. Give young Edwards a crack, he sounds the goods
    Last edited by longmile; 14th May 2024 at 10:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

With match ups in the Blues backline and McCartin still out I sense on the smaller SCG we will need Francis to stay in with Fox the Sub. The spoil and height of Francis will be important early on in the first half when more congested and willing.
    I too think the selection conundrum is fantastic for the club but hard on the players. I agree that if we are committed to a tall defender that Francis is our most likely option but I guess I’m not sure if that is our best strategy.
    Francis is strong in an aerial contest particularly a heavily contested one but so are Melican, Rampe and Blakey.
    My reasons for staying with Fox ahead of Francis is Martin and Kotterel. I also feel that when in possession, Francis is not reliable under pressure and either by hand or foot gives it up too easily.
    I am unconvinced that Roberts is weary rather that he was coming off a 5 hour flight in a new environment and a 5 day break, moreover I thought he more than did his job which to pressure and provide support on exit.
    Should Parker and Campbell be selected, absolutely, but at whose expense.
    Parker for Wicks, maybe, but no-one could dispute the great job Wicks is doing with pressure acts in our F50 nor his ability to convert when given the opportunity. Maybe, Iike for like, Adams is the only role that resembles what Parker brings to the table but so far he has been an outstanding replacement and has enhanced the roles of Heeney, Warner and Rowbottom by breaking open packs and killing the ball when the opposition looks likely to get clean clearances. I thought maybe Lloyd was vulnerable but he has been terrific since the GWS game and wont lose his spot easily.
    I can honestly say that if anybody loses their spot it’ll be hard for them to break back in, failing injury, and I’m so glad that I don’t’t have to actually decide who should be in the senior 23. Although speculation is the grist for this mill so here goes:

Sydney v Carlton

In: Parker

Out: Francis

Sub: Roberts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope , I doubt it .
    Have a look at the TIKETEK map, only disabled seats avaiable in the whole of the SCG.

Have you got a Moonboot lying around !

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by longmile View Post
    Also my suggested changes for FWIW are-

OUTS: Roberts (rested), Francis (omitted)
    INS: Parker (sub), Edwards

Fox to start in defence. Francis was horrible on the weekend. Give young Edwards a crack, he sounds the goods
    The Swans injury update said Edwards received a cut on his leg that got infected so he won't be available this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Trever View Post
    The most random suggestion you’ve heard. That’s dramatic.

I guess if Tom D-K takes 10 marks, kicks 4 goals, destroys Francis in attack and totally outgunnes McLean in the ruck then we may revisit my suggestion.
    Yep, Grundy is as much of a key defender as Harry Cunningham is a ruckman.

I did also post that I would drop Francis and agree he isn’t the solution. Fox or Blakey will handle TDK fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Yep, Grundy is as much of a key defender as Harry Cunningham is a ruckman.

I did also post that I would drop Francis and agree he isn’t the solution. Fox or Blakey will handle TDK fine.
    TDK is a rucking tall target in a forward line. Not a traditional key forward. He’s dangerous on smaller players. Grundy can take a resting ruckman. TDK will spend significant time in the ruck which brings Grundy into the ruck. Ladhams takes Perotette and we solve the height problem. I prefer to keep Blakey on a small opponent so he can help out Rampe and Melican in the air.

Warming the Bench
    Blog Entries
    If you have a look at the replay Francis took more intercept marks last weekend than any of the other tall defenders on either side. With McCartin not available this week, and coming up against the Carlton tall forwards there is no way Francis will be dropped for this game.
    I agree Francis looked a little shaky early in the game missing a couple of targets, but as the game progressed he settled down and did his job. I should also add Gulden missed a couple early on, but then more than made up for it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast