Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 11 Pre-Match Thread, vs Western Bulldogs at Marvel, 7:30 PM Thursday 23 May 2024

By not playing McCartin this week, he would get another 18 daysrecovery time given that our following game is on a Sunday.

Tom is our best key defender and he will be missed if he doesn't play, especially against a tall forward line like the Dogs have. If we want to get some extra height in the backline, we could bring in Hamling, who has plenty of experience and has played well in the VFL. With Weightman out, they are a bit less of a small forward threat, so it's not out of the question.

These selection calls are difficult when we have several options that are reasonably close.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    By not playing McCartin this week, he would get another 18 daysrecovery time given that our following game is on a Sunday.

Tom is our best key defender and he will be missed if he doesn't play, especially against a tall forward line like the Dogs have. If we want to get some extra height in the backline, we could bring in Hamling, who has plenty of experience and has played well in the VFL. With Weightman out, they are a bit less of a small forward threat, so it's not out of the question.

These selection calls are difficult when we have several options that are reasonably close.
    I don't think Naughton/Ugle-Hagan/Darcy is any more dangerous a trio than Curnow/McKay/De Koning. Not to the extent of bringing in an extra tall defender to combat them.

I think the coaches will just accept that, at times, the Dogs' tall forwards may be too tall and may take marks and kick goals, just as they knew Curnow and McKay almost certainly would. They'll focus on having the players to mop up ground balls so that the smaller Dogs don't dine out, and - of course - keeping the pressure up around the ground to make it harder for clean delivery into the Dogs' forward line.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think Naughton/Ugle-Hagan/Darcy is any more dangerous a trio than Curnow/McKay/De Koning. Not to the extent of bringing in an extra tall defender to combat them.

I think the coaches will just accept that, at times, the Dogs' tall forwards may be too tall and may take marks and kick goals, just as they knew Curnow and McKay almost certainly would. They'll focus on having the players to mop up ground balls so that the smaller Dogs don't dine out, and - of course - keeping the pressure up around the ground to make it harder for clean delivery into the Dogs' forward line.
    Yes, I think that's the best way to go. And we retain the the continuity of the playing group with minimal changes.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Yes, I think that's the best way to go. And we retain the the continuity of the playing group with minimal changes.
    I imagine either McCartin will come in for Francis or he won't.

Roberts will come back into the team in Fox's place, and he and Campbell will duke it out for the sub role. If they really thought Roberts needed a rest, it makes sense for him to be sub and for Campbell to get a full game after barely a quarter last week. They all get a week off playing the following week, which gives the club an opportunity for an extra solid training block or two to get some miles into Roberts's and Campbell's legs.

If they've been reluctant to change things up by bringing Parker back in, it's hard to see them doing so for Sheldrick, who is probably the only player making a case for a senior spot at the moment. But I guess he could come in as sub instead of Roberts.

I'd love to see Corey get a string of games later in the year, though he's going to reliant on injury to others (and getting over his own injury). I know he's not shown much yet at senior level, but I just think he's on the verge of popping, and proving to be another valuable, quick, outside runner. I'd also like to see him play a Wicks type role at VFL level to see how he fares. Back-up to Wicks might be his best chance of getting a few games in the near future but I'm only guessing because he's not played in the VFL forward line much since his first year, and he's developed a fair bit since then. There were reports during pre-season that he was turning heads with his aerial prowess but sadly his most ambitious demonstration of that in the VFL side is what left him with a sprained ankle.

Now that Parker is going to be banned it reduces the pressure on Longmire to think about him.
    But does Adams offer more than Parker? I would think Parker is definitely better. Can play a permanent forward role, both are slow and Adams is not being given many more stoppage roles as initially anticipated. He pretty much is now doing the same roles that he did not want to do at Collingwood and hence jumped ship. Is he better at delivering the ball from inside to outside or from outside 50 to inside 50 than Parker. I doubt it. Parker is really unlucky coz I think there may have been a handshake arrangement that Adams is going to play a certain number of games in a year when he jumped ship.

McCartin set to miss again this week (per Daniel Garb on Twitter), probably smart given the bye next week

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ISIBIDBI View Post
    McCartin set to miss again this week (per Daniel Garb on Twitter), probably smart given the bye next week
    Thinking long term, there's a flag to be won in September, it's now May!

Good interview from Longmire

Answered everything you could want to know.

Sheldrick, Parker and Mills

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by waswan View Post
    Good interview from Longmire

Answered everything you could want to know.

Sheldrick, Parker and Mills
    Where can we listen to the interview? It isn’t on the front page of AFL website.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltopia View Post
    Where can we listen to the interview? It isn’t on the front page of AFL website.
    Maybe this link can help. Key Quotes: John Longmire, Round 11
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Maybe this link can help. Key Quotes: John Longmire, Round 11
    The whole interview is on the Swans' site. (It's rare for midweek coach interviews to be on the main AFL site.)

You just have to scroll down to the video section.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

Where DO the smaller dogs dine out in Sydney, Mosmans premier butcher shop is good, but very expensive and a lot of v good restaurants have closed up now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast