Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Match thread: Swans v Bulldogs.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think we got away with one there.
    Agreed! Have to admit, it was a spirited comeback from the Dogs, cracks were starting to show and it might have been a different story without the Dogs injuries. Luckily the Swans big third quarter built just enough of a buffer to defend.

Not the dominant performance of recent weeks, although the "big 4" (Warner, Gulden, Heeney, Grundy) went very well. Anyway - it's a win! Going in to the bye in a good place.

Senior Player
    Great to grab the four points and maintain our buffer, but we could have easily lost that if they were a bit more accurate and had not lost two key players early, plus Scott.

But we can’t have smashing wins all the time, we just need to get top two in good team health, and then win the finals.

Francis had a really bad game tonight, getting outmarked, missing marks, over running the ball etc. We really need some more consistent depth/cover given Fox is out for several weeks.

However, as others have said, we get the bye for McCartin to get ready, Heeney and Paps to freshen up, and also it is closer to Mills making a comeback.

So no really worried for us for about two weeks, and maybe we will get some news about players being re-signed, eg Logan, Hayward, Cunningham and Fox?

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Maybe RWO needs a Go Fund Me campaign, I understand its run on the fumes from an electric bicycle.
    This is the link to the donate page is RWO - RedAndWhiteOnline.com - PayPal Donate
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Regular in the Side
    Blog Entries
    I could not believe in the first minute of the game Francis had front position and gave it back to Darcy for the first goal of the game. I believe it will be the last we see of Francis in the seniors. Apart from Richmond it was our worse performance of the year. Very few contested marks, contested possession not much better and how often they broke free of a Sydney tackle was a worry. An incredible 3rd quarter from Warner saves us. But saying all that we looked really tired in the last 10 minutes, when i thought the Bulldogs would be the team to fatigue first. A much needed break coming up.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    This is the link to the donate page is RWO - RedAndWhiteOnline.com - PayPal Donate
    I wouldn't encourage anyone to donate at this stage. Wait for Danzar to advise that he wishes to replenish the coffers. Financial donations won't make any difference to the immediate forum database issues. I direct people to the "issues" sticky at the top of the page where I have provided some commentary on (but not solutions for) the problems the site has been suffering (but no solutions).

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    No team I like beating more than the Dogs, don't have a single redeeming feature. Created some carnage to them as well.

A scrappy win but gives the coaches a lot to work with in their review in a weeks time. This is the kind of win that top sides pull off.

Third quarter is worth a re watch. Chad is starting to hurt Heeney's Brownlow chances. Big shout out to our supporters who turned up in big numbers it seemed (on TV) Take the win, have a break, move on. It's a long way to end of September.
    Agree with all of this, 707! We were nowhere near our scintillating best but we prevailed and that's what good teams do! You're lucky you live in Crowland - the "brave Bulldogs" bit is getting very tiresome very quickly here in Melbourne!

All the post match talk in media has been around that 50m penaly paid to McLean after he took CLEAN mark. It was technically correct but tough.

However in comparison heard little about the obvious HTB which was paid as high contact against Warner & then the 50m for diissent which rubbed salt into the wound Daisy Thomas should stick doing betting adds, as i was flabbergasted when he commented it was hard for him to decide whether tackle was high or not!!!

However Horse would not be happy how the Bulldogs finished the stronger, despite being 2 men down & coming off 5 day break, after we built 5 goal lead early in the last. Team may've switched off at that point thinking of 17 day break instead of going for the kill as we did previous week.

I think.there's still plenty of upside to come in 2nd half of season, with our key forwards going to another level & the returns of Mills, Parker & McCartin to come.

Senior Player
    Watched both coaches' post game press conferences. JL was typically measured in his comments, complimenting the Bulldogs and observing that we had a number of areas to work on for our game against the Cats after the bye. Luke Beveridge'e press conference resembled a love in with the Melbourne football press. He was spoon fed questions about the bad luck his team had suffered and there was not one syllable offered about the Swans. Quite extraordinary but not surprising.

Regular in the Side
    what was the free kick count

Veterans List
    I think we got away with one there. Dogs arguably deserved the win - down two players, ton more scoring shots, dodgy fifty metre penalty to McLean to seal the result. But good teams win games without playing at their best, and there's no denying Gulden's class all night and Warner's manic third quarter.

It may be a sign of Warner's growing maturity that he passed off the chance of his fifth goal to Adams.
    Yay the site is back and I can post!

I agree that we got away with one. They lost 2 important players that were having a real influence on the day, especially Richards.

They missed some very easy shots, but as the saying goes, Bad Kicking is Bad Football.

The McLean 50 was soft, however that cancels out the Warner Non High free and 50 metres.

I was proud that we held on for the win, because last year we would have been overrun and lost the game.

Chad was amazing in that third quarter and start of the 4th. We were constantly getting out of our seats in my area in celebration.

The pressure and tackling by Hayward was incredible. Watching him live and close up, you can really appreciate his efforts. Same with Wicks.

Shout out to Blakey with the number of spoils he made. Every time they kicked it in, it looked like it would be a Bulldogs mark. But then Blakey would leap and spoil the ball.

Veterans List
    I was more irritated with the 50m penalty for dissent. They've allowed players to beseech umpires all year without paying dissent, and Chad wasn't aggressive with his protestations. I guess the Dogs might have kicked the goal even without the 50m penalty.
    Yes agree they have not been paying dissent all season, even when the player has been really mouthing off at the umpire. At the time I wasn't sure what the 50 was for and assumed he swore at the umpire because of the @@@@ decision. I was listening to the radio and they said it was because he pointed at the screen, (seriously??). For the record, the commentators (on Triple M) could not believe it was paid high and said it was a perfect tackle that should have been HTB.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Yes agree they have not been paying dissent all season, even when the player has been really mouthing off at the umpire. At the time I wasn't sure what the 50 was for and assumed he swore at the umpire because of the @@@@ decision. I was listening to the radio and they said it was because he pointed at the screen, (seriously??). For the record, the commentators (on Triple M) could not believe it was paid high and said it was a perfect tackle that should have been HTB.
    Yes, it was definitely HTB, since the highest contact made was to the upper arm. The other high contact free that annoyed me, was when Heeney tackled Bontempelli and instead of trying to get rid of the ball when on the ground, Bontempelli asked nicely for a free. The umpire then had a quick think and decided to give him one. Heeney then had a quick think and decided not to give the umpire one.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast