Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Match thread: Swans v Bulldogs.

Ps I think the snapshot of the first 2mins of the third qtr sums up in action how flexible we are with our attack

1st goal Paps in the centre square links to mids and Hayward scores

1min later Grundy to Warner to McDonald 40m out goal !!!

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotpotato View Post
    Horse was getting as mad as a bull there for awhile.
    On Friday morning I turned on the radio to SEN to listen to the commentary about our game. The talkback was all about how Longmire was yelling down the phone and going off his nut. One caller even compared it to domestic violence!!!! Thankfully there were some sane callers who talked sense about the topic. I was at the game so didn't see the footage, but he is not directing his anger to the player's face. It's either to other coaches in the box, or to someone on the bench like Kirk/Mills/Cameron.

To be fair to the host Sam Edmund, he said the talk about Longmire was absolute rubbish. And he did declare it King Chad day šŸ˜.

I must admit

When a coaching is yelling they are minimum 50% in their fight , flight brain which is not particularly tactical

Not too many of the elite coaches these days in any sport stay too long in this mode due to the opportunity cost of not being in the strategic brain.

Or is that actually not true?

Soccer
    NRL
    Union
    Basketball
    Baseball
    AFL
    Tennis
    Golf

??

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Hey Dasi,

What a night hey !

I must admit I feel a little different re our talls up front and how we are structuring our attack.

They are young and very youthful re games played our tall forwards.

So it has made sense not to give the ā€œPaganā€™s Paddockā€ to our emerging young talls up front like u might with a Wayne Carey or a Tom Hawkins etc

We have actually reversed this strategy and played them as more posting at the 50 / 60 and 70m out range minimum to be a ā€œmarkingā€ target for our fast moving backline. While sneaking our Hayward, Paps, Wicks and Warner into the wide open space of our forward line.

For me this makes a lot of sense.

Paps, Hayward, Warner, Heeney are fairly accurate kicks and can kick a goal in many different ways.

Our young tall forwards then have less pressure, can loop back around for a 40m mark if we got held up and the opportunity awaits.

Iā€™m liking this flexibility up so many goal scorers in many different ways. It creates chaos for very good defending teams with strong talls like Melbourne and GWS etc who can be very hard to break down tall on tall.
    A good post and good observations, and part of why I think itā€™s the best Horse (and the coaching unit) has coached for a little while and I say that as someone who digs him.

Heā€™s recast our midfield and centre square set up and mix to be more offensively minded, heā€™s got our forward line playing to structure not position and heā€™s getting a lot right within games.

Even the way heā€™s used Wilbur which is to keep him doing a lot of the defensive stuff he does so well but not flog him senseless and instead roll him inside 50 more regularly to hit the scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    No team I like beating more than the Dogs, don't have a single redeeming feature. Created some carnage to them as well.

A scrappy win but gives the coaches a lot to work with in their review in a weeks time. This is the kind of win that top sides pull off.

Third quarter is worth a re watch. Chad is starting to hurt Heeney's Brownlow chances. Big shout out to our supporters who turned up in big numbers it seemed (on TV) Take the win, have a break, move on. It's a long way to end of September.
    As much as Iā€™d love to see Isaac or Chad win the Brownlow, I have no issue with them taking votes from each other if it results in a great team performance and winning the flag.
    In general, I thought the cumulative effects of multiple short weeks plus a trip to Perth started to show in the last 10 minutes of the match, but in reality we were the dominant side after halftime. Fortunately the Dogs did nothing much with their periods of control in the first half. As for the umpiring, I am firmly of the belief that 4 umpires is WAAAAY too many officials on the field and has led to more inconsistency and confusion, with an almost total abandonment of HTB. Never thought Iā€™d agree with Hardwick and Voss, but theyā€™re right on the money here. Giving players 15 seconds or more to dispose of the ball is a recipe for injury.
    Finally, yet again the AFLā€™s own site cannot bring itself to actually discuss the Swans. Since our statement game against the Giants itā€™s been consistently about our opposition. No longer mildly aggrieved by this, in fact, itā€™s rather amusing. Iā€™m now wondering how long theyā€™ll maintain the dogged ignoring of the team sitting on top of the ladder by 1.5 games and a heap of percentage. However, thereā€™s plenty of Swans love elsewhere, The Mongrel Punt a personal favourite.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    Well based on the comment by Beveridge at the start of the press conference, there was only 1 reporter there!
    That's the way I read Beveridge's somewhat sarcastic comment at the start of the press conference too, that only one
    reporter showed up. Pretty poor effort by the Melbourne footy media people for only one person to show up. The guy
    is hard to love I get that, but his team did make a game of it. I'm from the "bad kicking is bad football" school and
    when a team kicks 16.6 like we did it's usually because they are making A grade entries into the forward 50 which
    comes from dominant play further down the field.
    I just saw a story on the Fox Sports site quote Leigh Montagna as saying we are on track to having one of the best
    H & A seasons in the modern era. No team in the 2000s has had a percentage 30% ahead of its nearest rival, and
    we are 5-and-0 against other top 8 teams this year with a percentage of 156% against them.

The irony is Montagna tipped us to miss the top 8 at the beginning of the season!

Senior Player
    Miss the top 8. That's harsh. That would be quite an "achievement" from here. The challenge for us is basically to secure a
    home final, win it, and then win a home prelim. Then.... the obvious. Anyway, right now it's a good time to be a Swans fan.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    That's the way I read Beveridge's somewhat sarcastic comment at the start of the press conference too, that only one
    reporter showed up. Pretty poor effort by the Melbourne footy media people for only one person to show up. The guy
    is hard to love I get that, but his team did make a game of it. I'm from the "bad kicking is bad football" school and
    when a team kicks 16.6 like we did it's usually because they are making A grade entries into the forward 50 which
    comes from dominant play further down the field.
    I just saw a story on the Fox Sports site quote Leigh Montagna as saying we are on track to having one of the best
    H & A seasons in the modern era. No team in the 2000s has had a percentage 30% ahead of its nearest rival, and
    we are 5-and-0 against other top 8 teams this year with a percentage of 156% against them.
    The amazing thing about our percentage is how we've constructed it - with a loss to Richmond, and a close run call against the Weagles. Imagine what it'd be if we'd done the buffering other sides have playing them.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

There is a certain style of play that bothers us and I think Longmire knew that Bulldogs had the necessary elements to trouble us and knew that it was a danger game. He probably senses that our players still hold grudges against the bulldogs from 2016 final. And that it results in unnecessary free kicks. He was animated right from the beginning as a result but good that he could redirect the group and it also shows that the skills and overall character of our players have improved a lot this year. We will be hard to beat if we stay ā€˜connectedā€™.

Coaches votes for the game.

10 Chad Warner (SYD)
    7 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
    6 Errol Gulden (SYD)
    3 Adam Treloar (WB)
    2 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (WB)
    2 Liam Jones (WB)

That's the first time this season that Heeney hasn't been in the votes. He's still leading the vote count, though. Warner is making a charge, and with Gulden also up there, we're the only club with three players currently on the leader board.

71 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
    59 Nick Daicos (COLL)
    55 Caleb Serong (FRE)
    50 Zach Merrett (ESS)
    48 Chad Warner (SYD)
    46 Max Gawn (MELB)
    43 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
    43 Zak Butters (PORT)
    42 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
    42 Jordan Dawson (ADEL)
    40 Errol Gulden (SYD)
    39 Adam Treloar (WB)
    37 Noah Anderson (GCFC)
    37 Sam Walsh (CARL)
    36 Christian Petracca (MELB)
    36 Matt Rowell (GCFC)
    35 Jason Horne-Francis (PORT)
    34 Tom Green (GWS)
    33 Lachie Neale (BL)
    32 Jeremy Cameron (GEEL)

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanSand View Post
    There is a certain style of play that bothers us and I think Longmire knew that Bulldogs had the necessary elements to trouble us and knew that it was a danger game. He probably senses that our players still hold grudges against the bulldogs from 2016 final. And that it results in unnecessary free kicks. He was animated right from the beginning as a result but good that he could redirect the group and it also shows that the skills and overall character of our players have improved a lot this year. We will be hard to beat if we stay ā€˜connectedā€™.
    You reckon? I'd be very surprised if the players give much of a thought to the 2016 GF. For starters, it was eight years ago and
    there were only four players playing at Marvel on Thursday night that played in the '16 GF. I mean I know we haven't moved on,
    but that's a different thing. I'm confident the players were focused on the game at hand, maybe just not enough for the
    coaches liking at times.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast