Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Match thread: Swans v Bulldogs.

Veteran Site Admin
    i think there's a difference between sling tackles and dump tackles, even though both get the attention of the MRO. I think dump tackles do sometimes (often? usually?) happen because of the delay in blowing the whistle once a player is halted and wrapped up in a tackle.

True sling tackles, like that executed by Reid, have nothing to do with the umpires and everything to do with aggression. That one was unnecessary, and Reid (and Wilson) are pretty lucky Wilson didn't hit his head harder on the ground, or in a more vulnerable spot.

Tackles like the one by Higgins on Aliir a few weeks ago fit somewhere in the grey region. Aliir's knowledge that he was required to try to dispose of the ball was a factor, and that's not going to change. If anything, the reinterpretation puts a stronger obligation on Aliir to try to dispose of the ball. But there was something off with Higgins's technique too, notwithstanding the fact he was a small player trying to tackle a much bigger player. He certainly seemed to be trying to bring Aliir to ground in a rotational motion irrespective of Aliir's balance being affected by his attempt to kick the ball.

Veterans List
    He grabbed his jumper first then he wrapped his left arm around him and slammed him into the ground. It was as bad as it gets on a sling tackle. The bleeding hearts of the media are calling the FAIREST to be taken out of the criteria on the Rising Star. So what if he is rubbed out twice in a season? King said on First Crack that we should be at least having a conversation about it, then Watson parroted the same words on SEN this morning.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    He grabbed his jumper first then he wrapped his left arm around him and slammed him into the ground. It was as bad as it gets on a sling tackle. The bleeding hearts of the media are calling the FAIREST to be taken out of the criteria on the Rising Star. So what if he is rubbed out twice in a season? King said on First Crack that we should be at least having a conversation about it, then Watson parroted the same words on SEN this morning.
    Your spot that he used his left arm to complete the manoeuvre is spot on. That’s probably a bit of his martial arts training coming into it. It’s way more than a bloke grabbing someone by an arm or a jumper and the sling that follows momentum. It’s a conscious effort to add real force and effect to the act. He’s gone.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I haven't seen anyone opt for the "Cumberland sling" - most of the sling tackles I see are subsequent to the initial tackle KT.
    Reids wasn't a delay issue though, it looks more like he was going to overshoot his apponent and used all his momentum
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011