Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Season is OVER. Forget about finals

Veterans List
    Gee I must be the only person who saw something positive in yesterday's game.

What I saw was a concerted effort to get back to the running style of last year. It nearly worked but for the continued inept kicking to forwards. We started to move it through the midfield more but kicked poorly. Did anyone notice that WCE often had 2 loose men around the centre square for a lot of the game, thus blocking our run through.

Saddington runs through the guts, bounces 3 times and misses the leading Hall by 20 metres front on and sideways. He might have at least kicked it straight so he could run onto it.

Kennelly did his complsory kick out on the full to a leading forward player. Not even close. Anyone got some Irish jokes?

Williams twice kicked it straight up in the air when running through midfield, but then both Hall and O'Loughlin chose to stand toe to toe with their opponents.

And so it continues, and Hall still kicks 5.

Now StKilda's goalkickers were all forwards. They appear to be playing the old fashioned 6 man forward line, getting the ball in quick to marking forwards. If they don't mark it they have cast of a 1000 crumbing. Simple stuff that overwhelms the flood.

In the last Q we had a 2 man forward line. Where was the dangerous O'Keefe, probably flooding back.

We still have a % of 103.

Get some cohesion on the forward line, and we will stat to win games. Given that we are yet to be thrashed gives me some hope of improvement.

Originally posted by Nico
    In the last Q we had a 2 man forward line. Where was the dangerous O'Keefe, probably flooding back.

he was on the bench
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace

Originally posted by Foreign Legion
    Yes NMWBloods we can get worse but I don't think we will.
    I agree - it is more likely we should get better, but hopefulyl a lot and soon.

I am just as disappointed as you - but really we should be used to it!

Speaking as someone who only missed 1 game in Sydney in 1993 - guess which one?
    Haha - damn!!
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by BAM_BAM
    I'm with you Lizz.

What failures Kelly, Dunkley, Lockett and Cresswell must feel. If asked they probably would say they'd give it all away for the sake of a premiership. But would they?

Of course they wouldn't give it all up, but ask them what their greatest disappointment in their careers has been, and guess what they will say. In fact ask ANY player who has played for a long time, and never tasted ultimate glory.

Bob Skilton, perhaps the greatest player this club has ever produced has always said he would give away all 3 of his Brownlows for one premiership. Is he wrong to think this way?

You see its the ultimate success that counts or means anything, and everything else is, as I said earlier, the froth on a beer.

I'm sorry if the concept of Premierships and winning above anything else offends.

On the Rookie List
    I am with you too, Lizz.

While I disagree with your interpretation of the current situation including suitability of our game plan, I share your passion and sentiment. Football, like life, is indeed journey. I would be curious to see reactions of Doctor J when he reaches his destination

Before anyone accuses me of being idealistic, I do agree that we will make up the final 8 at best. If we can't beat Eagles who play similar style to us, what hope do we have of beating Saints and Lions in Finals?
    A softie for Matthew Nicks

Bring back Schuabs!

I am torn between the two arguements going on in this thread.

My family have been supporting the Swans since we came over from the UK ('86)... I'm in my early 20s now so I can say I have never had complete faith behind the red and white... always feeling let down!

The reason teams play AFL (or any football for that matter) is to win the ultimate prize at the end of it all. What is the point of playing professional football if this is not their intention?
    The memories are great and expansive though I could throw them in to see MY TEAM winning the CUP!

I feel the Swans are still a terrific side, and we SHOULD (though the way we are playing- don't deserve it) be up the top mixing it with the 6.

The Swans played with so much courage and fight against Port Adelaide last year that is hard to think this is the same team that lost to Richmond at our home game (our worst loss this season) last week.

Saying this, no matter how far down the ladder we are, how poor our form is, I am a LOYAL Swans member and will NEVER trade my red and white scarf in.

Living in 2005
    Originally posted by BAM_BAM
    I'm with you Lizz.

What failures Kelly, Dunkley, Lockett and Cresswell must feel. If asked they probably would say they'd give it all away for the sake of a premiership. But would they?
    Of course they aren't failures, but they would ABSOLUTELY give it away for premierships.

It is like saying to Ian Thorpe, you can go to 5 Olympic Games and win silver at all of them, or we will give you one shot where you win gold. He would go to one Olympics for the ultimate prize without question.

You will always have champion players - but players never ever feel complete without a premiership.

Why else would someone with plugger's amazing personal record risk how he is remembered on a comeback? All because in his mind, his career was never completed.

I agree with comments in this thread - especially a lot of Lizz's, but like most of us, we have been on one hell of a journey already, we are ready for the ultimate. It is time for the club that has shortened my life by decades already to pay up!!!
    Last edited by Damien; 16th May 2004 at 07:00 PM.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Mike_B
    Well we really can't get worse from the last few weeks can we? Please say NO!!!
    we may get better, but the opposition may get better too... this would mean we would still lose...

go and watch fox footy for a week and watch the OTHER teams in the comp and realise that we arent the ONLY team out there!!! and start to appreciate the talents in other lists!
    C'mon Chels!

I would be more accepting of losses if we were playing well, giving 100% and being beaten by a clearly better side. Hence why this weekend I am not nearly as upset/downspirited/disheartened etc etc as last weekend because the effort was much better, we were beaten by a better side, and we did play well in patches.

I realise that it's not just a matter of watching us. And I've been watching Fox Footy all season, and am aware of the skills of other teams compared to ours.

I'm on the Chandwagon!!!

If you cannot compete for the premiership, it's better to be young and exciting than middle-aged and dowdy.

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by Damien
    Of course they aren't failures, but they would ABSOLUTELY give it away for premierships.

You're right, though I question whether a Paul Kelly or Tony Lockett would give away their careers for that of, say, Aaron Keating who has about 5 games and 1 premiership to his name. I know which I'd rather have experienced.

There is, however, a fundamental difference between players' aims and motivations and those of supporters. If and when 22 guys wearing the red and white win a premiership they will have a mighty achievement to look back on. It will be down to their hard work and committment. It will be something that they have had some influence on and can be proud of.

For us, the supporters, it will be fantastic and provide great memories. But we won't have achieved anything personally per se. Our pride will be in the players, not in ourselves. And our ability to really influence it is limited to us continuing to buy our memberships to keep the club in existence and the support we provide by travelling to matches. Of course, without us the players' achievement would mean far less, but it would still be their achievement.

That's why my philosophy is that the destination is really the player and club's goal - our privilege is to enjoy the ride.

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Mike_B
    I realise that it's not just a matter of watching us.
    its the sentiment of this thread and sentiment of this board that i was havin a go at, not you
    C'mon Chels!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345