Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky Cam - Over Hyped! Over Rated!

On the Rookie List

Sky Cam - Over Hyped! Over Rated!

Well those who watched the new trial of sky cam tonight what ya'll think?

I thought it was the biggest fizzer of an exercise imo!

They hardly used it at all, added nothing to the angles / feel of the game, barely moved from the centre of the ground and when the ball got too far away you could hardly make out players and judge the ball velocity.

What a joke!
    Last edited by Cheer Cheer; 28th May 2004 at 11:56 PM.
    No.1 ticket holder of Nick Davis Fan Club...

Gave me vertigo

The Tree Is Out There treespirit's Avatar
    I was at the game and it was quite distracting. I kept watching the camera instead of the game. At times it got really low, particularly when following shots for goal. Still, if it had been more of a contest, I wouldn't have been so easily distracted.

I think it is a great concept. If you've ever seen an NFL game on tv, sometimes they have a similar view which rotates around the play while the screen is frozen, using heaps of different cameras set up around the stadium. It gives you this awesome 3D feel for the game. Now the skycam isnt the same, but just reminded me of the NFL thing.

Over time the actual picture you get from it should improve, and with experience the tv stations and camera operators will use it to better effect. Give it a go, I reckon it can add something extra to viewing the game on tv. Which has to be a good thing, because AFL is not the best game to watch on tv to start with. Unlike rugby, field position compared to teammates and opposition can be very difficult to judge on tv.
    Visit my eBay store -

10% off for mentioning RWO when you buy. Great Christmas presents!

A Blood to the bootstraps The Boot's Avatar
    20 minutes walk to my seat on O'Reilly wing.
    Originally posted by sharpie
    Over time the actual picture you get from it should improve, and with experience the tv stations and camera operators will use it to better effect. Give it a go, I reckon it can add something extra to viewing the game on tv.
    My uneducated view is that our game is simply too quick to make use of it all the time. When the boys move the ball rapidly, they'll have to use the regular cameras, til this little critter catches up ... gasping.
    Good men do good deeds. Evil men do evil deeds. But it takes religion for a good man to do evil deeds.

I think it's awasome.

Remembering that this was its first proper game, it will be a great addition to the TV coverage.

Totally agree with sharpie's summation that, as AFL isn't the best game for TV, it can definately add another dimension, especially to give the viewer a greater understanding of what is happening around the contest.
    "As a player he simply should not have been able to do the things he did. Leo was a 185cm, 88kg full-back and played on some of the biggest, fastest and best full-forwards of all time, and constantly beat them." Roos.
    Leo Barry? you star! We'll miss ya, ''Leapin''.

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    I hated it. Not only did it make me kinda dizzy, but it gave the game the impression that you were watching an EA Sports Computer game.

Why meddle with something that is right in the first place?

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Originally posted by JF_Bay22_SCG
    I hated it. Not only did it make me kinda dizzy, but it gave the game the impression that you were watching an EA Sports Computer game.
    exactly what I thought...

I thought the same thing about it being a computer game too!!

As others have said, the key problem is the speed of the game and size of the arena compared with NFL or basketball.

Still, I think it can have its uses.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Blog Entries
    I didn't see much of the game but I thought it was pretty cool.

And yes it did look like an EA game. And I probably would be distracted at the game as well, Treespirit. (I am easily distracted, I blame it on my childhood).

I give it the thumbs up!!!

I turned the game off as it was making me dizzy too. I was laying on the lounge watching, and felt like I was about to roll off???? Weird sensation.
    Here's my heart and you can break it
    I need some release, release, release
    We need
    Love and peace

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by NMWBloods
    Still, I think it can have its uses.
    The only thing that I found worthy was when they had the skycam over the ball up in the centre square after a goal or to start a quarter. Provided a better picture on the centre square set-ups and clearances.
    No.1 ticket holder of Nick Davis Fan Club...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast