Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swans:Cressa Announcement

Veteran Site Admin
    If he really is making an announcement tomorrow it can't be that he will be retiring at the end of the season. Players just don't do that, especially ones who are loved by their clubs but not generally considered to be superstars in terms of the overall competition.

So I too fear the worst. One can only think he has some niggling injury he can't shake. Ironically he's quoted in the DT's AFL supplement today as believing the Swans will have a good year and there's no indication in it that he doesn't think he'll be part of it. Even allowing for printing/ editing deadlines, it all sounds a bit sudden.

Senior Player
    i had a suspision that this was goin to happen... however i thought it woulda been mid-season, ala schwatter

it makes me sad if it means that cressa is retiring however it does mean that a young player can be in the 22 and has the opportunity to step up, i have very mixed emotions on this one

On the Rookie List
    I never expected him to snatch it before the end of the season. I suppose it'd be better for him to go if he feels passionless about the game, rather than put in insipid performances and frustrate himself and everyone else around him. A true champ. I'll never forget the vision of him popping his kneecap back in, then wanting to play on. One tough bastard

Maybe we could all be wishful thinkers and hope that he'll announce that he's playing on for an additional year

Was he that upset about not getting the captaincy?

Rod_

"It's believed Cresswell was also bitterly disappointed at being overlooked in favour of Stuart Maxfield to replace retiring Paul Kelly as 2003 captain."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23211,00.html

On the Rookie List
    None of this is making any sense.

Firstly, he had a great year last year, 2nd in the B & F and all that.

Secondly, an announcement about next year on the eve of this year doesn't pass the smell test.

Thirdly, he worked very hard to get another contract for 2003 and was given full endorsement by the club.

Fourthly, he is very fit at the moment with no reported injuries and to be honest he has never had a recoccuring injury in his life.

If he does announce his retirement, I smell a non-footy issue here.

Warming the Bench
    Creswell is retiring at the end of the season according to www.afl.com.au

well I guess that wasn't too surprising - though it IS strange that he's announcing it so soon!!

Onya Cressa, make it another solid year before you go.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

As good a servant he is to the club,it will be like a black cloud lifted off our midfield when he goes.In fact if Roos is serious about rebuilding they should let him play one game as a send off.
    He is now too slow to warrant selection and his skills are deplorable.He was a good ordinary player in his heyday.

Warming the Bench
    Skilts Stilts I disagree with your comments about cresswell being "a good ordinary player in his heyday" when a player wins the best and fairest at a club and finishes in the top 3 on 6 other occasions (including runner up last year) he is more than an ordinary player. He was also all Australian in 97.

Cresswell is more of a champion than ordinary in my opinion.
    Last edited by Skells; 25th March 2003 at 01:09 PM.

Sorry to be so cryptic.The expression was borrowed from Jack Dyer when he was asked what he thought about a champion player at the time ,it may have been Gary Ablett but I could be wrong.Cresswell has been the engine room for many years but the engine started to falter 2 years ago to the point that it is now
    just all but dead.

Originally posted by Rod_
    Was he that upset about not getting the captaincy?

Rod_

"It's believed Cresswell was also bitterly disappointed at being overlooked in favour of Stuart Maxfield to replace retiring Paul Kelly as 2003 captain."

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23211,00.html
    If this is the case good bye cressa. I am over the huge egos in the Sydney team. Too many individual trying to claim personal achievements over team achievements..hence why we haven't won a flag in 70 years.

Sorry Cressa but you aren't/weren't captaincy material.

Warming the Bench
    What do you classify the rest of the swans list as then if Creswell is nearly dead seeing as he came second in the B&F last year?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast