Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 most dissapointing losses in recent times.

On the Rookie List swans_premiers's Avatar

3 most dissapointing losses in recent times.

1. Last year's Prelim
    2. First match at Telstra Stadium vs Ess
    3. Last night.

No other games have left me feeling as down as i was after these three.

thoughts?
    Adam Goodes: Rising Star 99, Brownlow 2003, 2006
    Swans Premiers 1909, 1918,1933,2005, 2012

The Tree Is Out There treespirit's Avatar
    The capitulation to the Bummers at Docklands, was it 2002? I can't bear to look it up. Reminds me too much of last night.

I'd put the following up for nomination too:

1) Syd vs Ess @ Colonial Stadium - Steven "I only play well once a year and that's against Sydney" Alessio

2) Losing to Richmond this year

3) Losing last year's heritage round to Hawthorn

4) And let's not forget the last game at Waverley park....

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

1) Last night, even more so today having just read about the death of the Swan's head trainer. A tragedy.

2) Syd V Essendon, Colonial Stadum 2002 - I flew down to Melb for that one. Wish I could forget Paul Kelly's fatal turnover.

3) Adel v Syd 2003 - I was angry for days about the Carey goal that wasn't.

Others that come close are 2003 Prelim Final, Bris V Syd at the Gabba 2004 and Syd v Essendon at Homebush 2002 (I never forgave Mott for that miss).

I am really hurting about last nights game. I send my condolences to the family and friends of the trainer and all at the club who knew him.

the most disapointing loss was the 1996 grand final
    Theres not much left to say

On the Rookie List
    The Dons game you are all referring to was in 2001.

Re: 3 most dissapointing losses in recent times.

Originally posted by swans_premiers
    1. Last year's Prelim
    2. First match at Telstra Stadium vs Ess
    3. Last night.

No other games have left me feeling as down as i was after these three.

thoughts?
    And against Richmond at the SCG early on in the season!
    Be a bird of prey!

disappointing loses? how about almost everyone we've suffered this year. this whole year has been a disappointment, or a brief moment of joy followed closely by despair.
    Visit my eBay store -

10% off for mentioning RWO when you buy. Great Christmas presents!

On the Rookie List

Re: Re: 3 most dissapointing losses in recent times.

Originally posted by Speshall
    And against Richmond at the SCG early on in the season!
    Nothing comes close to the two losses in 1986 against Carlton in the Qualifying Final when we lost by 2 goals or thereabouts, when the scores were level with 4 minutes to play, and against Fitzroy the following week when we lost by 7 or 8 points after Capper stood on Pert's back when the ball went out of bounds deep in the Swans forward line when were down by a point, only to see little Bernie Harris kick a goal that bounced at right angles to go through the big sticks from the Gary Pert free kick.

After the game at the Richmond Social Club was Stevie Wright inconsolable and absolutely shattered about the two close losses.

That year we had the team, much like 1998, to win the flag and it was our first finals series since 1971.

Also the game, against Port in Round 17 1998, when the King did his knee and subsequently the Swans lost the momentum for the rest of the season. At that stage we were 13 and 4 and slowly building a solid foundation, with the excellent midfield of Kelly, Schwass and Cresswell all at the top of there game,
    whereby we dropped a few games and were bundled out in the first semi to Adelaide after Kelly was out with his knee, Cresswell was KO'd in the first minutes, Schwass pulled out with a hammy and Lockett had to contend with three opponents, UMPIRES and the worst conditions Sydney could muster. The Gods were against us that season.

Losses to Essendon hurt every time as well, particularly when spastics like Alessio play blinders.

Don't be suprised if David Hille plays a blinder and kicks six against the Swans in Round 21, effectively bundling the Swans from the eight !!

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    1) the Lockett vs Foreign Legion match in 1994. Left ground in uncontrollable tears. Had to chill out by the side of the Lake near the now-Bus Stop Oval to get myself in a state where I could go home on the bus.

2) the Alessio match in 2001. Lucky I wasn't there. Again, lost the plot.

3) 2002. If it wasn't the Geelong loss where we let a 27 point lead slip, it was the Pies loss at Colonial after leading in the last quarter. Then the Jarrod Poulton loss after the siren against Port. I swear, each week was like smashing your head against a wall that year. Have never experienced a season as soul-sapping as that; even in 1991-4 things never got me down as much as this season did.

But if anything what happened on Saturday night will hopefully strength the bond between everyone. And give the players a greater strength to overcome adversity and a greater love of each other and their club.

We all know how our team lifts when playing better sides. Next Saturday night is one of these occasions.

Go Swannies, lets prove everyone wrong, again!

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    Almost impossible to narrow it to three...

1. Last year's preliminary final fade out...everything on our side, a week off, fresh, a GF spot on the table...and a certain win, in hindsight, over the wobbles.
    2. The 1996 GF fade out... 1997 (you'd have thought theyd be SO damn hungry that year)...
    3. Loss to Port Adelaide at the SCG, was it 2002 (the years are melding into one another at my age) when Poulton kicked the winner in the last few seconds.
    4. Repeated capitulations to Hawthorn over the years...
    5. Mott miss at OLympic Stadium...
    6. Ball miss against Brisbane
    7. Carey over-the-line loss to Adelaide last year.
    8.....damn it, there are just too many....

And why oh why the super-talented team of the 86/87 era didn't do better...Healy, Capper, Diesel, Browning, Murphy, Morwood, Toohey, Mitchell, Daniher, Bolton, Bayes, Carter, Wright... QF against Carlton in 86 (16pt loss)...Semi Final against the Roys (5 points)...GRRRRRRRRRR
    Last edited by swan_song; 9th August 2004 at 12:11 PM.
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

I'm SO over the swans! swan_song's Avatar
    dAMN....i FORGOT THE MOST DEPRESSING ONE OF ALL!

The Sunday, back a few years when we played St Kilda (who were crap) and only had 1 good player. Well, we were 38 points ahead in the last quarter, when this great hunk of a bloke decided to win the game for the Saints off his own boot...and in the process ironed out a brave Swannie by the name of Peter Caven who suffered a compound nose fracture when this oaf ironed him out after taking a mark in the first quarter. The rest they say is history...the oaf kicked 11 goals, and the sainters won by a point... anyway, I forgave him a few years later when he kicked a point after the siren to get US into the 1996 grand final...
    "Davis...Davis has kicked 2...he snaps from 40...dont tell me, dont tell me, hes kicked a goal....unbelievable stuff from Nick Davis, can you believe this, he's kicked 3 final quarter goals and Swans are within 3 points..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast