Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Sydney Kids Drafted?

Any Sydney Kids Drafted?

Ive gone through the AFL website and couldnt see any Sydney kids listed as drafted.

Can anyone confirm that guys like Ed Clarke & Earl Shaw didnt get picked up?

If not its a disgrace, especially in Clarkes case.

I did the same search and didn't see any either (see my post in the main draft thread).

The consensus there is that Ed and Earl will be the Swans local pre-picks in the Rookie draft.

cheers JS..

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Originally posted by j s
    I did the same search and didn't see any either (see my post in the main draft thread).

The consensus there is that Ed and Earl will be the Swans local pre-picks in the Rookie draft.
    Also add Troy Bartlett to that list..
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Sweet home Novacastria
    No NSW/ACT players were drafted at all. Me thinks AFL NSW/ACT should have a long hard look at their TPP staff & Rod Carter should be the first to go. 2nd thing to do would be Re-introduce the RAMS to the TAC cup or footy in this state will head back to square 1

Originally posted by Northern_Swan
    No NSW/ACT players were drafted at all. Me thinks AFL NSW/ACT should have a long hard look at their TPP staff & Rod Carter should be the first to go. 2nd thing to do would be Re-introduce the RAMS to the TAC cup or footy in this state will head back to square 1
    go those RED HOT CARDIFF BOYS!! top win in the granny,good to see Terrigal lead then lose,haha great game to watch Northern Swan.its a dead set old boys club,the brains trust of our state footy,i copped it something bad from Carter,Davis,Livy,Howarth when they ran Elite Squad years ago,only look after their own backyards,so i agree,get rid of em,new blood for sure.i watched the draft,and ur spot on, until RAMS stop playing "invitational" games,we wont have many or any from our state represented.good to see QLD with a few(one or two)also.and if ya know him(im sure you do) say hi to Austie for me,from the JETS

pekay, How did Micky Ryan go with you blokes this year??

the tpp have been cut in funding alot over the last few years and the way they are doin things now have been working in other states(QLD and Tas). maybe the players just arent up to it.....

Sweet home Novacastria
    go those RED HOT CARDIFF BOYS!! top win in the granny,good to see Terrigal lead then lose,haha great game to watch Northern Swan.its a dead set old boys club,the brains trust of our state footy,i copped it something bad from Carter,Davis,Livy,Howarth when they ran Elite Squad years ago,only look after their own backyards,so i agree,get rid of em,new blood for sure.i watched the draft,and ur spot on, until RAMS stop playing "invitational" games,we wont have many or any from our state represented.good to see QLD with a few(one or two)
    Yea it was a great win. Was good that the 18's won as well. I might take a leaf out of pekays book and challenge the Sydney U18 premiers to a match. I reckon we'd give them a shake!

The Redbacks were supposed to play our 18's rep team in a game to give our guys some exposure, but Carter pulled the pin cause he didnt want to get beat & look bad (our 18's rep beat north coast by 300 points)

The 18's Rep team is supposed to play the top 4 clubs in Sydney in challenge matches but i'pm sure that will backflip just as soon as february rolls around. That will mean again that no players will get a look in at state selection.

As for the RAMS, IMHO the only way that these players from NSWACT will make the grade is if they are exposed to the best of the best on a regular basis. At this point they are not. Copying the other states will not help either, as the proven best method for NSWACT for player exposure & draft results is the TAC Cup

also.and if ya know him(im sure you do) say hi to Austie for me,from the JETS
    Yea I know Austi (don't we all??) He became a father 2 weeks ago & I caught him at the Pub on Saturday night. We were talking about your promise of a pre season game in point of fact. Whats doing there??

pekay, How did Micky Ryan go with you blokes this year??
    Actually Rhino played with us at Cardiff. When he wasnt Suspended (6 games all up) he was basically racking up best on grounds. He played at CHF most of the year and took out our B+F and Goalkicking awards. Came 2nd in the league B+F if you discount the suspension(s). Had a good game in the GF.
    Very happy that he is not being reposted this year & will be back on 05!!

On the Rookie List
    Absoutely it's time for massive change! But we won't see it.

Too many people want to look after their own patch or want to justify their job.

A large reason for this feeling developed over a long period of time is the lack of support across the board given to the competitions in NSW and the lack of vision and action.

All while the seemingly endless obsession went on year after year for those very few elite players that could be found.

These few kids who'd be thrown up by the even fewer people of influence and the whole year seemed all about and came down to one thing... the hope that come draft day they can proclaim the year a success if two or three boys from NSW miraculously got picked up by AFL clubs.

The NSWACT AFL have to admit mistakes because it's them and them alone who have made this the ultimate gauge of their annual success- although in recent times the Auskick figures they can't wait to churn out runs a close second.

What happens when they drop?

The claim that we aren't an AFL state is not as valid as it once was the success of the Brisbane club, the Qld comp and their draft picks means as AFL and NSW fans we can now compare apples with apples.

Yet again the tough questions sadly won't get asked and even tougher actions north of the murray won't happen because somewhere along the line that would mean individuals risking something even if it's a small thing.

And fighting for Aussie Rules in NSW for many just isn't worth the hassle or the risk.. because when it comes right down to it anything below the Swans just isn't important enough to our lifestyles or vital to our sense of community.

On the Rookie List
    Here we go again hey? More whinging about the state of footy in NSW and the ACT from people conveniently not involved. Rather than waste our energy sitting back and pointing fingers at people who are trying their guts out (most completely voluntarily) to improve all aspects of footy accross the state, why not re-direct that energy and offer to help. It's time people reaslied that we're all in the same boat here - from the Carter's and Livy's etc mentioned, to the Pekays, Northern_Swans and Troy G's - everyone wants to see football in our state grow and become etched in the minds of our communities. I'm sure the people at the top are doing what they think is best for the code within their budgetry restrictions, and not tending to their own backyards - the notion is simply ridiculous. Sure their may be things that could be handled better, but before getting stuck into people for making the decisions they make, consider doing 2 things:
    1) Ask the people who made the decisions why they made that particular one. You may find they have a perfectly valid explanation.
    2) Come up with an alternative solution and float that to someone who has the power to change things.
    I dont mean to sound like a @@@@@, I just think the people that run NSW/ACT footy (of which I'm not one, for the record) cop a raw deal a lot of the time when they are putting in so much time and effort to lift the profile of our game for little or no financial benefit. They're doing it for the love of the game just like the rest of us. So if you don't think something is working, suggest a way to fix it - maybe even throw your hat in the ring and offer to help out. Unfounded criticism will get the game nowhere.

Pekay, Mick Ryans a champion bloke and great player, only wish he was back at St George.

Northern Swan, im sure the Saints 18's from this year would love to play you. Put us up in the Crown Plaza Terrigal and give us a $500 drink card in the nightclub and you have got a game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast