Thread: Equal biggest comeback ever

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne

Equal biggest comeback ever

As reported by The 5th Quarter, a comeback from 32 points down at three-quarter time ties the Swans record.

Round 6,1940
    Date: 01-Jun-1940
    Att: 9,000
    Venue: Lake Oval

Sth Melbourne 3.1 7.3 10.6 16.9 105
    Nth Melbourne 6.2 11.2 15.8 16.8 104

Sth Melbourne won by 1 pt

It's also a new record for the Swans as Sydney.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

ROLLLLLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!! Glenn's Avatar
    Swans dug deep and somehow came out with the miracle and re-write the records book.
    Great to see the Swans show the passion and play with heart in that last quarter, hopefully the momentum from that continues through the season.
    If I am dreaming please don't wake me
    Premiers 09,18,33,05

"You Irish Twit", Quote attributed to a RWO member who shall remain nameless.

whats the afl record?? is it that kangas essendon game?

a bloody great comeback if that doesnt give the team confidence im not sure what will
    Theres not much left to say

Given we managed to see the 5th best against us last year, ours was a fair bit away from the record. Still, it's nice to see Sydney finally produce a decent 4th qtr comeback.

Amazingly enough, we scored more in the last quarter than in the first three quarters.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

I thought that win against the Kangas a few years ago we were down by 36 and came back from it?

Probably all in my head.

Awesome comeback though - Roos should have given them a first spray at half time not 3/4 time

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    The comeback is from a 3/4 time deficit.
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Veteran Site Admin
    Originally posted by gossipcom

Awesome comeback though - Roos should have given them a first spray at half time not 3/4 time
    Maybe he did. Even though the Lions won the third quarter, you could see a definite change in the Swans approach straight after half-time. They didn't show the same intense desparation that they did in the final quarter but suddenly started to kick much more quickly and much longer.

I think Bazza said in his post-match interview that they did cop a bit of a spray - and rightly so!

The 3rd qtr was certainly a vast improvement over the first half and Blight noted it a few times as well. It seemed that there were plenty of errors in the third qtr on our part because the guys were waking from a slumber and trying to get going. Lucky the Lions were inaccurate and the umpires were on our side in that quarter.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Thunder Shaker thanks for the clarification.

yeah liz they did raise their level in the 3rd qtr but still were playing poorly - but whatever the hell Roos said to them at 3Qtr Time worked

On the Rookie List
    Originally posted by swansrule100
    whats the afl record?? is it that kangas essendon game?
    l
    yeah 2001 - Essendon v Kangas - I think the Don's were down by 69 points halfway through the second quarter.

Biggest record from 3QT is Brisbane Bears against Hawthorn - 1995. I think it might have Walls' last game as coach. Bears down 45 points at 3QT. Very hot day. Walls noticed that Hawthorn moved their 3QT huddle into the shade and observed that he thought they were vulnerable. Bears kicked 9.7 to 1.3 in last qtr.

Ours isn't even in the top 20 of AFL/VFL comebacks.

We've been on the wrong side of comebacks 5 times out of the top 20, more than any other side.