Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leo and the backline structure

On the rise

Leo and the backline structure

I think we'd agree that ideally, Leo is too short to play as KP backman, and that playing out of the goalsquare reduces his ability to provide rebound. But I'm beginning to think that it's best for the team for him to stay in a KP for the rest of the year.

He's only once had a bag kicked on him (Richo last year) and usually at least breaks even with his opponent. e.g. last night I thought he did OK on Lloyd - pretty hard to stop him marking on those leads - and he had a few good runs with the ball himself.

Perhaps our best bet is Schaubs and Leo playing FB/CHB, letting LRT learn on a less demanding opponent, with Saddo/B2 taking a 4th tall as required.

On the Rookie List

Re: Leo and the backline structure

Originally posted by Young Blood
    letting LRT learn on a less demanding opponent
    Providing that opponent is in the Canberra League, yeah i agree. LRT is the biggest waste of space on a football field from any of the 16 clubs. He has not shown anything to prove that he has a future in the game. He has no footballing talent and looks like the goofiest player to pull on footy boots in the last 20 years. Can anyone think of a worser player from any other list?
    He is weak (proved that in getting pushed off the ball by Mark Bolton late last night), uncoordinated (proved that when he failed to actually kick the ball after running 30m with it) and has no idea how to defend (proved that in his attempts on Lucas.) TRADE HIM!!
    - Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in a world they've been given, than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing!

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Leo and the backline structure

Originally posted by motorace_182
    Providing that opponent is in the Canberra League, yeah i agree. LRT is the biggest waste of space on a football field from any of the 16 clubs. He has not shown anything to prove that he has a future in the game. He has no footballing talent and looks like the goofiest player to pull on footy boots in the last 20 years. Can anyone think of a worser player from any other list?
    He is weak (proved that in getting pushed off the ball by Mark Bolton late last night), uncoordinated (proved that when he failed to actually kick the ball after running 30m with it) and has no idea how to defend (proved that in his attempts on Lucas.) TRADE HIM!!
    I agree with all you say but for the last two words. WhoTF would pick him up and what would we get for him? He is not trade bait at all.

Re: Re: Leo and the backline structure

Please list the other CHB's this week who kept their oponent to 7 kicks or less.

On the Rookie List

Re: Re: Re: Leo and the backline structure

Originally posted by barry
    Please list the other CHB's this week who kept their oponent to 7 kicks or less.
    What other teams were missing quality playuers such as Hird Solomon, and then had Jason Johnson shut down? LRT was useless when he played on Lucas. Whenever B2 or Scaubs seemed to take him he was finding it much more difficult. LRT is a joke. Actually, id take him as an inspiration. He has proved that anyone, despite clear physical limitations or lack of skill can actually get a start for an AFL club.
    - Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in a world they've been given, than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Leo and the backline structure

What other teams were missing quality playuers such as Hird Solomon, and then had Jason Johnson shut down? LRT was useless when he played on Lucas. Whenever B2 or Scaubs seemed to take him he was finding it much more difficult. LRT is a joke. Actually, id take him as an inspiration. He has proved that anyone, despite clear physical limitations or lack of skill can actually get a start for an AFL club.
    Lucas is a very high quality CHF, and without Hird around usually makes the most of his opportunities to impress.....unless he comfronts a close checking, determined competitor like our LRT.

On the rise
    motorace, I don't agree. He is very tall, excellent athletically, a good mark, and he tries his guts out. Despite all his other shortcomings, I think these are reasons enough to persevere. We also have to remember that he's relatively new to the game, he's not a product of the usual football factory. He is at a lower point on the football learning curve than his peers - and so has greater scope for improvement.

But this thread is not supposed to be about LRT....
    Last edited by Young Blood; 8th May 2005 at 05:30 PM.

On the Rookie List
    Your right, he has great athleticism, endurance and enthusiasm. All he has to do is learn how to kick, mark, handball, read the play and learn the rules and he will be an awesome footballer...

Re: Re: Re: Leo and the backline structure

Originally posted by barry
    You continue to wilfully distort the argument...
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by Young Blood
    motorace, I don't agree. He is very tall, excellent athletically, a good mark, and he tries his guts out. Despite all his other shortcomings, I think these are reasons enough to persevere. We also have to remember that he's relatively new to the game, he's not a product of the usual football factory. He is at a lower point on the football learning curve than his peers - and so has greater scope for improvement.
    How would you know if he's a good mark - he hardly takes any.

As for the backline structure, I'd still like another sizeable key backman (say Vogels, Grundy, Campbell or similar) so that Barry can play on a midsized player and give us run, plus be an option if we need to change around.
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

On the Rookie List
    Yep.
    Vogels, Grundy and Campbell must all get time in the backline this year.
    ...now there's just the technicality of getting them on the senior list.
    Was someone saying we still have a spare spot because Nicks is a veteran (or something)? Will Maxfield retire?

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by midaro
    Yep.
    Vogels, Grundy and Campbell must all get time in the backline this year.
    ...now there's just the technicality of getting them on the senior list.
    Was someone saying we still have a spare spot because Nicks is a veteran (or something)? Will Maxfield retire?
    Vogels went on last week for Doyle. The nominated rookie still seems a bit of a mystery, or have I missed something? Maxfield - 3 weeks I reckon.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast