Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stepping up and stepping down

Veterans List

Stepping up and stepping down

We have now had the rare chance to see how our players perform under the ultimate hothouse of a Grand Final. Obviously, overall, they did brilliantly. But it was fascinating to see who lifted and who didn't.

Three who performed beyond my wildest expectations were LRT, Fossie and Ben. And Monty of course - why did it take Jude's midseason injury to discover he had two more gears? Two who surprisingly underwhelmed me were Magic and Noggy.

Your thoughts?

On the Rookie List
    Fair comment but sometimes the 'name' players have more pressure on them which allows the likes of Fossie to get under the radar. I don't think it was a game where real talent and creativity could come to the fore either because of the pressure. Judd was so squeezed in the 2nd half that his disposal wasn't that effective really, even if he was a class above his teammates. And some players were just given unusual roles. I read where ROK and Davis were told to go up the ground and just create and crowd stoppages.
    LIFE GOES ON

On the Rookie List BayesysLeftBoot's Avatar
    Magic and NOG are forgiven becuase a premiership isn't won in a single game.

Fosdike has probably saved his skin and good on him.

LRT has exceeded my expectations of him by a mile, dito for Monty.

And Benny has shown his doubters what some of us have said all along: He is an unselfish, hard working, under-rated player that can make a big difference without putting on a big show.

Much as I love 'em, Bazza and Goodes didn't step up a notch in the finals but perhaps the reason they are so good in the regular season is that they always play at their best!

Senior Player
    Originally posted by Sanecow
    Goodes didn't step up a notch in the finals
    So three out of four finals where he racks up 20 touches doesn't make you feel fuzzy? What would you want him to do for him to "step up a notch"?

Along with his 20 touches he does the team thing and gets 7 one-percenters as well in the Grand Final.

I don't get it.

Originally posted by Sanecow
    Much as I love 'em, Bazza and Goodes didn't step up a notch in the finals but perhaps the reason they are so good in the regular season is that they always play at their best!
    I thought Goodes was at his influential best in the grand final. He was in our best on the day IMO.
    Swannies for life!

Ben did a good job defensively, but was terrible with the ball -- way too many turnovers.

Davis was quiet, but was I have no problem with that. Without him we wouldn't have even been there.
    To all those people who waited 72 years to see a South Melbourne/Sydney Swans premiership HERE IT IS!!

Mick O'Loughlin suffered concussion during the game. His kicking yips were unfortunate, but understandable given the circumstances.
    We hate Anthony Rocca
    We hate Shannon Grant too
    We hate scumbag Gaspar
    But Leo WE LOVE YOU!

On the Rookie List
    I think Goodes really only had an impact in the GF. In the other finals he got a bit of the ball without really hurting the opposition.
    LIFE GOES ON

Originally posted by Charlie
    Mick O'Loughlin suffered concussion during the game. His kicking yips were unfortunate, but understandable given the circumstances.
    An excuse!
    Captain Logic is not steering this tugboat.

"[T]here are things that matter more and he's reading and thinking about them: heaven, reincarnation. Life and death are the only things that are truly a matter of life and death. Not football."

Originally posted by Charlie

Magics kicking was atrocious and nearly cost us the game. If the concussion was that bad he should have been on the bench.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

Senior Player
    Didn't MOL's first shocker come before the concussion?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast