Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
All true. One wonders whether the "Laws of the Game" Committee's existence isn't the primary necessity for fiddling with the "Laws of the Game." It wouldn't be the first committee to justify it's existence in such a way.
And frankly having Bartlett making pronouncements on contested football is a little like asking a fish about it's opinion of bicycles.
I also have my doubts about the function of the Rules Committee and I have griped about their continual meddling and tinkering, e.g. the substitute rule and especially talk about extending it. But this time I found myself thinking "That's not a bad idea" in reference to the ruckmen grappling and attempts to prevent the stacks-on-the-mill that follows almost every tackle. They're obviously trying to reduce the number and length of stoppages, and I'm in favour of that, but I'd like to see it done gradually and with a good solid tryout in the NAB Cup for a year or two before any changes in the main season.
One change I'd like them to consider is the rules about when the clock is stopped. I don't think we need quarters that run for over 30 minutes and I wonder why there seem to be so many occasions when the clock is stopped and restarted. Others will know, but do the same rules apply in the NAB, or is the clock stopped less often?
But I do believe that generally speaking it's better to let the game evolve and allow players and coaches to change their approach of their own accord. Talk of restricting players' locations on the ground, perhaps by making them wear netball-type bibs, makes me see red.