Not sure if this has been discussed before but Cairns has been given the green light for a team in 2020

No Cookies | The Cairns Post

Hopefully there is enough AFL funding and local engagement that the NEAFL side does not decimate the local Cairns AFL competition. One would assume the rich and powerful Cazaly's club will bankroll the club and that they will be able to attract many new NEAFL standard players to the region.

The current 10 team comp, whilst better for playing standards, is not ideal as it involves too many byes. I imagine a 12 team 22 round comp is the long term goal with long term development in the markets involved.

I wonder where the 12th team could come from? Personally I can't see Sydney sustaining a second NEAFL team for a long time and there are no existing clubs with anywhere near the financial stability to consider the step up given that Baulkham Hills, traditionally one of the better run Sydney AFL clubs, was almost bankrupted by its NEAFL foray. A second NT team would not seem viable as you feel the NT Thunder meets their needs quite nicely. A Tassie team? Would be very strong, possibly too strong, but not sure it would be good for Tassie footy or accepted by the Taswegians. A Wagga based side would have to be heavily AFL bankrollled, would decimate the local comps and would also weaken the ACT team.

Honestly can't see where they'd get a 12th team but 11 teams and 20 games will be an improvement