Thread: Great expectations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    On the one hand I hear opinions that Kennedy is done, on the other there's the expectation that Buddy's season 2020 performances will match his 2020 pay packet.
    I for one don't agree with either.

During the season just completed both players missed games, with very different effects on the team.

Joey:
    The Swans averaged 370 possessions per game overall, but in Joeys absence they averaged 340 possessions per game. 30 possessions per game less.
    So Joey's presence basically covers the loss of the player he replaces, and then adds another 30 possessions on top.
    But Joey averaged 26 disposals per game. This is equally as significant.
    The figures suggest that not only was the team unable to cover for Joey's absence at all (possession wise), but his absence may also have reduced the output of others.

Buddy:
    The Swans averaged 76 points overall, 81 points when he played and 73 points when he didn't - we were what seems to me to be a modest 8 points better off with him in the team. Which is odd because he averaged 18 points per game.
    So the team collectively covered for more than half his output when he was absent. Buddy adds far less to the aggregate of the team than JPK does.

Of course statistics never tell the full story (btw these came from footywire) but to paraphrase Chris Keane they should at least raise questions.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 9th January 2021 at 08:17 AM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.