I'm starting this separate thread to talk about the trade period generally, so as not to confuse it with the Swans-specific trading/drafting/list management thread, and because I'm curious about people's thoughts about the deals going down in general.

My assorted thoughts:

* Jeremy Cameron deal will get done. I love that the Giants matched - although like Damien Barrett I thought Jezza might be a bit peeved that he wasn't offered such a generous contract earlier. But that's market forces at work. I'm not sure what it will take to get the deal done but I'll watch with interest. The more Geelong pay, the happier I'll be.

* I'm curious why we didn't show more interest in Stef Martin as a stopgap ruck rather than pursuing Hickey. I flagged interest in Martin a couple of weeks ago. Bit sad to know he was gettable and is now going to the Dogs.

* Hogan to GWS. No comment at this stage. Probably worth the gamble for GWS given how little they're paying for him but not kicking myself we didn't do it.

* Crouch to Saints. Crows look lame not backing up their talk. Why wouldn't they match such a modest contract? Saints win - get good midfielder for free.

* Treloar. Disgusted by Magpies handling of this one. I wonder if there's any chance we'd be interested? Seems unlikely for logistical reasons and because he apparently wants either to stay at Collingwood or else in Melbourne. We don't have any trade currency but it might not be necessary depending on how much salary is paid. I reckon the Dunkley to Essendon and Treloar to the Dogs could make sense.

* Saad to Carlton. I think Essendon are absolutely within their rights to demand pick 8 and Carlton would be dumb not to pay it. I think Carlton should pay up even if they can't get another pick back. He's worth it.

* Conversely I think Essendon is deluded in demanding a first round pick for Fantasia. I think that 20 something pick seems about right.

* I also think Essendon have rocks in their head only offering a mid second rounder for Caldwell and for threatening to let him go to the PSD. He is exactly the kind of player any of North, us or Hawks would love to pounce on if he got to the PSD.

* I wonder where Tom McDonald is going to wind up. Kind of hoping it's not us, although I can't claim to have seen that much of him.

* I'm very curious about the player we may be targetting as a "scoring option".

* The Crows are in a strong position with Hately because they really can threaten to let him go to the PSD. They've got GWS over a barrel.