While Neil has posted this link in another thread, I did want to do it again, because I do like the underlying themes of the article.

Melbourne’s streets without the AFL grand final are a requiem for a team | Western Bulldogs | The Guardian

One thing which I liked, was the sense of history. That is, the game has being going on for a long time. For over 160 years, people just like us have been playing the game, supporting the game, learning about the game, writing about the game, agonizing over the game, rejoicing in the game, and possibly most importantly of all, socializing with others through the game.

The other thing I liked, was how it identified some of the little rituals that we do to, in our own way, become part of the game. The decking out of a garden gnome in club colours. The painting of walls. The showing up at grounds. The nights spent at training. The making of donations. And I could make a very long list, of things that the author didn't mention, of the many ways that we self identify as being part of the game. But there's no real need for a long list. Though I will say, that whatever would be on the list, hints at something very fundamental about how our minds work.

Essentially, I think we're social creatures that have evolved to form social groups. And fundamental to that, is learning and planning. We learn from the past, then discuss what we've learned with other members of our group, in order to plan for the future. Then we might put those plans into action. So, by dressing in club colours, kicking a ball, paying money at the gate, or by writing on a forum, we're saying that we want to be part of a group. And that in our own ways, we think can contribute to a successful future for our group: our team. And of course, the annual plan for our team is a premiership.

Which is a major reason why I'll be going for the Demons on Saturday night. For each season since 1964, their staff, their players and their supporters, have been making plans to bring home a premiership. Each year, many of them would have been working tirelessly to convert those plans into successful action. And each year, they have failed to achieve the ultimate goal. While I'm sure that some of those seasons would have been marred by dumb planning and deranged infighting, I feel just as sure, that in many of those seasons, the plans and the actions would have been sound: and it was only dumb luck that led to another year where the dream wasn't fulfilled. Or maybe it was just an even better plan from another team? But anyway, after a while, the lack of success becomes a bit tragic, so, go the Demons.

And for the other clubs that won't be there on Saturday? Well, we're already looking at draft prospects, working out trades, discussing issues, and hoping that next season, will be our season.