Page 49 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans VFL 2022

Did Melican play? If so, how did he go and would he be ready to replace any of our defensive talls through injury?

Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post
    Did Melican play? If so, how did he go and would he be ready to replace any of our defensive talls through injury?
    Melican played well, but he didn't have a whole lot to do in a one-sided victory. His form has been decent in the VFL this season and should be able to step up if one of the McCartins were injured. Gould is more of an attacking weapon though and has put in a few dominant performances. So, I'd like to see him get a run some time in the not too distant future.

Thanks for the update Deja.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I know we won't drop Buddy, but I don't think it's ridiculous. Amartey played really well in the VFL and has for most of the year. I think we should start playing McDonald and Amartey together. They are the future. I think our forward line operates better without Buddy. He may be one of the greatest players ever, but that's just how it's going. We could drop Reid and let Amartey backup ruck, or we might play all 4 talls and have one play on the wing or in defence. Reid has really played well lately and would hate to drop him in this kind of form. He's not that old; only 30, so may have a few more years to give. But I think the key is to try to play the 2 youngsters together as much as possible now.

I also don't think it's ridiculous to have Buddy as our Medisub. The opposition wouldn't want to hurt any of our players for fear of having Buddy come in and turn the game in our favour.
    Won the game for us v Tigers. Mcdonald signed for 2 more years. Amartey and Reid vying for the one position. Understand your anxiety about player development but flag is wide open this year although I think our midfield is not seasoned enough. Nevertheless, our best is as good as anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Won the game for us v Tigers. Mcdonald signed for 2 more years. Amartey and Reid vying for the one position. Understand your anxiety about player development but flag is wide open this year although I think our midfield is not seasoned enough. Nevertheless, our best is as good as anyone.
    I think it was Cornes on the cob who said the gap between our best and our worst is the widest in the comp (tho I’d put Essendon in that category) - sounds pretty fair.

The VFL report is up on the Swans website: VFL dominate with 111-point victory

One of the things I love watching is just how effortlessly Amartey kicks the ball from 50 out. Easily makes the distance. No running around the mark to get extra power. Just an easy drop punt. I think he's really put it together this year. He's doing all the physical stuff. He's marking well and kicking straight. I'm so looking forward to him teaming up with Logan.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    The VFL report is up on the Swans website: VFL dominate with 111-point victory

One of the things I love watching is just how effortlessly Amartey kicks the ball from 50 out. Easily makes the distance. No running around the mark to get extra power. Just an easy drop punt. I think he's really put it together this year. He's doing all the physical stuff. He's marking well and kicking straight. I'm so looking forward to him teaming up with Logan.
    Game versus Williamstown very poor preparation for seniors. Zero pressure. Amartey looked good last year. decision to retain Reid has hurt him.

On the veteran's list
    Amartey looked good last year. decision to retain Reid has hurt him.
    But not the team.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    But not the team.
    True for this year. Not sure about future.

True for this year. Not sure about future.
    My take is Amartey is gradually solidifying himself as well in front of Maclean at this point in time. So as long as he is willing to be patient, he will be next in line for a place in the forward line after Buddy and Reid.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    My take is Amartey is gradually solidifying himself as well in front of Maclean at this point in time. So as long as he is willing to be patient, he will be next in line for a place in the forward line after Buddy and Reid.
    Yes, I think Amartey has now gone past McLean. Although I do like them both. It will be interesting to see what happens if Franklin and Reid decide to stick around for another season or two. With McDonald highly likely to become a star, I'm not sure that we'll be able to keep all five. That is, McLean and Amartey are both too good to continue to spend most of their time in the VFL, so would one of them demand a trade to a club where there likely to play AFL? Conversely, would the club consider it best policy to keep whoever they consider to be the most promising of two, trade the other and then spend a high draft pick on a forward that needs a couple of years to develop?

I'm not clear on whether Armetey comes out of contract at year's end? If so, we are in grave danger of him asking for a trade elsewhere then. We may end up watching him forge a good career elsewhere much like Membery who left for more opportunity. For this reason, we need to make every effort to give him more senior opportunities. Dropping Buddy might be a bridge too far though! More likely Reid to go if his good recent form drops off.