Page 306 of 418 FirstFirst ... 206256296302303304305306307308309310316356406 ... LastLast
Results 3,661 to 3,672 of 5008

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

It really irks me that a contract isn't really worth the toilet paper it's written on.
    FFS... you signed a contract for X amount of years. Stay X amount of years.
    What's the point?
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't think that's quite what's happening here. It's not Scully holding the Giants to ransom and demanding that they trade him to the Hawks for a late pick. The Giants seem to be driving it. He's said he's happy to stay.

It's also the Giants' call about what they accept for him as a trade. Certainly something doesn't feel right about it, but there's no known reason to think the Giants are trying to do the Hawks a favour. The most likely explanation - if the trade goes through as mooted - is that Scully's ankle is a problem.
    It's an odd one, if the Giants are indeed the ones driving it. When you think of that team, it's guys like Ward, Davis, Scully who are
    the so called heart & soul of the team. They are the JPKs, Parkers, McVeighs of GWS. Guys you'd just never want to lose.
    Maybe his ankle is bung, and the Giants are just being brutal.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    It really irks me that a contract isn't really worth the toilet paper it's written on.
    FFS... you signed a contract for X amount of years. Stay X amount of years.
    What's the point?
    Exactly

What would make it fair is if the clubs could simply terminate a players contract if the player received a long term injury, or their form dropped off a cliff (gee that sounds familiar!). I'm only being facetious as that would never occur, but its the double standards the players have benefitted from. They get all the security of a contract, without any of the downside

On the veteran's list
    Has Langdon actually put pen to paper at Collingwood yet or just indicated he will stay there? Swans website still showing we have confirmed our interest in him. They really should update stuff at this time of year when supporters are hanging on any morsel of information!

It would be good to have another interview with Harley or Beaton to say whether they have put the cue in the rack and we can then stop checking info every five minutes to see if we've picked up anyone.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    Exactly

What would make it fair is if the clubs could simply terminate a players contract if the player received a long term injury, or their form dropped off a cliff (gee that sounds familiar!). I'm only being facetious as that would never occur, but its the double standards the players have benefitted from. They get all the security of a contract, without any of the downside
    Ask Ryan Burton, Jack Hombsch, Gary Rohan about contractual employment security, it rubs both ways.
    sprite

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    Has Langdon actually put pen to paper at Collingwood yet or just indicated he will stay there? Swans website still showing we have confirmed our interest in him. They really should update stuff at this time of year when supporters are hanging on any morsel of information!
    I suspect it's just a case of the story not being updated by the typically slow and selective Swans' website. I did wonder, though, about their cap and draft picks situation now that the Beams story has raised its head again. The AFL site is reporting that they've offered pick 18 plus more to the Lions. That leaves them with very little to match bids for Quaynor and Kelly - their next pick is pick 51. The points value of the remaining picks they currently hold is 635, which grosses up to 794 with the discount. That will match a bid at around pick 23/4 (it falls between the two values and I don't know if the AFL rounds up or down). That's just for one player, and some draft pundits have Quaynor going higher.

Can they afford to bring Beams in without trading another player out?

Chances are that the Lions will say no, anyway, but if they do budge I wonder what Collingwood will do.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Ask Ryan Burton, Jack Hombsch, Gary Rohan about contractual employment security, it rubs both ways.
    I wonder how we could go about getting Ryan Burton to us. Sounds like he wants out now. Quality player.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    I wonder how we could go about getting Ryan Burton to us. Sounds like he wants out now. Quality player.
    Agree - maybe a better option than Langdon

According to the AFL website, Langdon is staying with the wobbles.

Good. I didn't like his hair, anyway.

In-demand Pie staying put, rejects Swans - AFL.com.au
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    Agree - maybe a better option than Langdon
    He's not as quick as Langdon but probably comparable style/role player in every other way - and indeed to the role Mills has played since he joined. He would achieve the aim of freeing up Mills to play in the midfield. Indeed, he may have midfield potential himself (and Langdon probably doesn't). He has a bit of an injury cloud hanging over him (his knee) but we know the value of players with lower leg injuries when you're dealing with the Hawks. Our pick 40 should be more than enough!

I think the Wingard deal will land up going through, and that Port will accept Burton as part of that deal. But I agree that if Port don't want him, other clubs would be mad not to enquire if he still thinks it best to leave Hawthorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimitron5000 View Post
    Would be worth a look for sure. If the need is to get another defender in to release Jones or Mills into the midfield.

we should be offering pick 40 for Burton to "facilitate" the hawks deal, that could bite them longterm
    good Samaritans we are