Page 29 of 93 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 and footy - season (suspended) now resumed

One positive for me with Covid-19 in regards to footy is I’ve actually started to miss AFL. I never thought this would happen.

As I’ve stated several times my local club is my number one Aussie rules footy fix. But without the media bs and maybe it’s that with a compromised season I can except how compromised the AFL is.

I miss going to watch my local side a lot but I’ve actually started to miss Sydney on tv a fair bit.

It’s a strange but good feeling.

Regular in the Side Velour&Ruffles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boddo View Post

It’s why I was so frustrated with the AFL, it was a capitalist company ran as a dictatorship masquerading as a not for profit organisation.
    That is quite possibly the best description of the AFL I have ever read.
    My opinion is objective truth in its purest form

More to the point, I think we are in danger of totally derailing this thread in a football forum. There is another thread for chatting about this non-footy stuff.
    Last edited by liz; 20th April 2020 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Post split between two threads - deleted part not relevant to this thread
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    More to the point, I think we are in danger of totally derailing this thread in a football forum. There is another thread for chatting about this non-footy stuff.
    Indeed. While we've let this thread meander rather loosely around the football connection in recent days, the foray into ideological and party politics of dealing with Covid 19 doesn't belong in a football forum. That move has prompted a transfer of all non-football related (or predominantly non-football related posts) for the last few days (ie over the weekend and since) to the already existing thread in Open Chat. It's pretty easy to find, but just in case anyone is struggling, it's here RWO - RedAndWhiteOnline.com

Please stick to the Open Chat thread for all further discussion of the politics, science etc of the pandemic.

The rules are fine. The heavy handed distruction of interesting discussion is unnecessary. Just let it be. There isn't much footy to talk about.

I have a good question. SA health authorities have said they want to eradicate the virus in SA. If possible if this happened they would have all restrictions on public gatherings lifted. If the AFL grand final could be held at Adelaide oval with crowds would the AFL be prepared to do it? 50,000+ crows at Adelaide beats the hell out of a barren MCG.

I say no as it highlights the absurdity of the MCG contract. What do the rest of you think?

Coronavirus: South Australia records no new cases for second day, could eradicate virus within a month

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The rules are fine. The heavy handed distruction of interesting discussion is unnecessary. Just let it be. There isn't much footy to talk about.
    There has been no distruction (sic) of any discussion. It has just been moved to the forum dedicated to discussing non-football topics. The access to, and functionality of, that forum are identical to the football forum.

We have many members of RWO who prefer to talk and read about football topics only. We have many members of RWO who also wish to discuss broader societal issues. RWO, in its totality, caters to both groups. Is it too much to ask to respect the different preferences of members, and to use the appropriate forums to discuss football and non-football matters?

Veterans List
    We've dramatically increased the number of tests in SA over the past week and encouragingly have recorded three straight days of no new infections. I think the aim is now eradication within SA which didn't seem possible a couple of weeks ago.

If it continues like this then Adelaide would be an ideal hub, IF the AFL needed to go the hub way. Our Premier said closed borders are likely to be the last restriction lifted as obviously we don't want new infections arriving from interstate.

Will the AFL be flying quarantined on Virgin? A lot to play out with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    We've dramatically increased the number of tests in SA over the past week and encouragingly have recorded three straight days of no new infections. I think the aim is now eradication within SA which didn't seem possible a couple of weeks ago.

If it continues like this then Adelaide would be an ideal hub, IF the AFL needed to go the hub way. Our Premier said closed borders are likely to be the last restriction lifted as obviously we don't want new infections arriving from interstate.

Will the AFL be flying quarantined on Virgin? A lot to play out with that.
    You’ll have to ask Brett Sutton as he thinks he’s calling the shots for other states.

On a serious note I watched that live show on Foxtel for the first time last night n it sounds like hubs will revolve around 4 sides not six, which did surprise me. And not one mention of the NT, SA or WA hubs. Sounds like the media in Victoria have already started on the push for Victorian hubs.

To be announced next Monday. So in under a week we’ll all know.

BTW it was a very disappointing show that sounded more like local Victorian radio than a national show on a national broadcaster.

Like I’ve said previously if SA did become virus free. I’d play the GF at Adelaide oval.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    There has been no distruction (sic) of any discussion. It has just been moved to the forum dedicated to discussing non-football topics. The access to, and functionality of, that forum are identical to the football forum.

We have many members of RWO who prefer to talk and read about football topics only. We have many members of RWO who also wish to discuss broader societal issues. RWO, in its totality, caters to both groups. Is it too much to ask to respect the different preferences of members, and to use the appropriate forums to discuss football and non-football matters?
    Game, set and match.