Thread: RWO Game Day Thread - Round 3 - April 16-17

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaccyJ View Post
    What was the incident? At this moment it reminds me of the time when a North Shore player landed on my leg after a marking contest and it broke as a result. Didn't blame him though. Pretty sure he didn't spend any more time than usual in front of the mirror either.
    The smallest bloke on the field had both his arms pinned from behind and was slung into the ground - mind you he had disposed of the ball about three or four seconds earlier and the contest had moved five metres away if not more. Sometimes accidents happen and especially at the lower level where blokes don't have the speed or awareness of the more talented players, but this was completely unnecessary. I'm sure he didn't mean to break his arm but it was a deliberate act intended to hurt a bloke probably 30kg lighter than him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    The smallest bloke on the field had both his arms pinned from behind and was slung into the ground - mind you he had disposed of the ball about three or four seconds earlier and the contest had moved five metres away if not more. Sometimes accidents happen and especially at the lower level where blokes don't have the speed or awareness of the more talented players, but this was completely unnecessary. I'm sure he didn't mean to break his arm but it was a deliberate act intended to hurt a bloke probably 30kg lighter than him.
    That is being kind.

Seems to happen regularly in lower grades, especially when players whose heyday was 10 years and 25 kilos ago are playing against smaller quicker youngsters ... though their "awareness" and accuracy seems ok, just their speed to the contest and timing is out ... it's why a lot of clubs are loath to play their fringe u/19's in these grades ... a real shame, because most of these guys have a lot to offer in the onfield development of young and inexperienced players.

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    Does that mean that the little guys should expect that they will be protected a bit from the rough and tumble ?
    Should the big fellas have to go easy on the little in-and-under goal sneak type ?

It seems to me that you go on the field and you take your chances. But there are rules in the game that make it illegal to engage in unduly rough play.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Does that mean that the little guys should expect that they will be protected a bit from the rough and tumble ?
    Should the big fellas have to go easy on the little in-and-under goal sneak type ?

It seems to me that you go on the field and you take your chances. But there are rules in the game that make it illegal to engage in unduly rough play.
    Unfortunately there is a club umpire running around whose incompetence risks turning the games he's involved in into all out mayhem. If UTS had the same bloke who umpired UTS v StGeorge div 4 a week prior you could hit a bloke 30 seconds later and got away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Unfortunately there is a club umpire running around whose incompetence risks turning the games he's involved in into all out mayhem. If UTS had the same bloke who umpired UTS v StGeorge div 4 a week prior you could hit a bloke 30 seconds later and got away with it.
    Were you around for that? I thought he was going to hit me when the ball went out on the full and he told me to throw it in. The UTS players were yelling at him that it went out on the full and for me to just kick it. I asked him why would they lie about it and he literally got 5cm away in my face screaming at me.

Was an interesting game. Club umprires will always be contentious I guess but have felt the other 2 we have had were just as good as anything I had in div 1. Let the game flow well which is what we are all there for.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Were you around for that? I thought he was going to hit me when the ball went out on the full and he told me to throw it in. The UTS players were yelling at him that it went out on the full and for me to just kick it. I asked him why would they lie about it and he literally got 5cm away in my face screaming at me.

Was an interesting game. Club umprires will always be contentious I guess but have felt the other 2 we have had were just as good as anything I had in div 1. Let the game flow well which is what we are all there for.
    Yes i was there. He is a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    I thought he was going to hit me when the ball went out on the full and he told me to throw it in. The UTS players were yelling at him that it went out on the full and for me to just kick it. I asked him why would they lie about it and he literally got 5cm away in my face screaming at me.
    Home game saviour. Best if you provide boundary umpires to make the call. I know it's not compulsory, but worthwhile.