Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 9 Match Day Thread. Hawthorn V Sydney. MCG. 19.50 pm.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Based on my personal experience, I'd rate them as follows (from worst to best):

* Hawthorn
    * Essendon
    * Collingwood
    * North Melbourne
    * Carlton
    * St Kilda
    * Geelong
    * Richmond
    * Footscray
    * Melbourne

Certainly agree that Melbourne fans are the best opposition supporters. Went to the MCG when we played them last year and didn't hear any booing of Goodesy at all.
    I used to think that St.Kilda fans were very ordinary but, for something to do, took my son to see Saints v GWS at Etihad a few weeks ago. Sat in the cheap seats on Level 3 and were surrounded by Saints fans. Was very pleasantly surprised by their behaviour and demeanour. Lots of family groups who were vocal but in a positive way and they helped make it an enjoyable day out.
    Last edited by Sandridge; 24th May 2016 at 03:28 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    If you mean the Mitchell hit on Hanners, they did pay a free - but then paid advantage when there was clearly no advantage, and nailed Laidler for HTB off one step. The umpiring was poor for most of the evening but we had our fair share of shockers that went our way.
    No that wasn't what the free was paid for. It was HTB against Puopolo. The Hanners incident happened later in the game and there was no free. Funny how Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis get away with their sniping during the game.

There were bad umpiring decisions missed for both sides but it seems only the hawks ones have been highlighted in the media...(both tv and newspaper). No mention of Tippett being decapitated in the goal square which would have been a certain goal, or Buddy being tripped, or Hanners not being paid a mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    No that wasn't what the free was paid for. It was HTB against Puopolo. The Hanners incident happened later in the game and there was no free. Funny how Mitchell, Hodge and Lewis get away with their sniping during the game.

There were bad umpiring decisions missed for both sides but it seems only the hawks ones have been highlighted in the media...(both tv and newspaper). No mention of Tippett being decapitated in the goal square which would have been a certain goal, or Buddy being tripped, or Hanners not being paid a mark.
    Or the two swans who should have been penalised for tripping.
    We also got three really, really soft 50s.
    It all evens out in the end.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

I see why the WCE supporters used to call him Sinclair Almost. He just couldn't hold a mark.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    There was nothing soft about that 50 against Cyyyyrrriiillll - he got warned 3 times at least by the Umpire for getting over the mark and continued to do so.

As for the supporters comments, it really does matter who you run in to. Case in point is the Crows - usually I've found them to be pretty tame, latte sipping types - but then this year at the Adelaide oval on the way out run into a raucous bunch that were off their faces and clearly looking to try and pick fights.

In terms of Hawthorn, I had no major issues before we won the flag in 2012. But after that, I've witnessed (and been subject to) substantial vitriol, especially since we got Buddy. The two games in Melbourne in 2014 in particular were pretty awful - in particular the GF, which stands out in my memory for seeing some of the most deplorable behaviour I've ever seen at a footy game, and the 2015 1st game in Melbourne was no better.

I've given up on games against them away from home for a while (may go if we ever play them in Tasmania again). But every group has their good and bad fans - although repeat offenders don't help one to have a good image of a club.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by S.S. Bleeder View Post
    I see why the WCE supporters used to call him Sinclair Almost. He just couldn't hold a mark.
    LOL. I've noticed this too.
    Get's his hands to the ball a lot, maybe some glue will help!!

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    But every group has their good and bad fans - although repeat offenders don't help one to have a good image of a club.
    That's about right. I've been to plenty of soccer matches in Europe where the fans' behaviour was terrifyingly violent; you never see anything like that at the footy. I never think twice about taking my family to an AFL match.

The only supporters that have ever given me grief were from the Bulldogs. Once when some drunken moron set fire to my wife's handbag. And another time when an angry Bulldogs supporter got so worked up abusing Paul Kelly that his false teeth fell out and landed in my lap. That was really scary.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    LOL. I've noticed this too.
    Get's his hands to the ball a lot, maybe some glue will help!!
    Is it illegal to use a product called "grippo"? It's a sticky gel stuff that came in a tube . When I worked at a SANFL club in the early 2000s, players used to put on their hands to help the ball stick better.

Quote Originally Posted by chammond View Post
    That's about right. I've been to plenty of soccer matches in Europe where the fans' behaviour was terrifyingly violent; you never see anything like that at the footy. I never think twice about taking my family to an AFL match.

The only supporters that have ever given me grief were from the Bulldogs. Once when some drunken moron set fire to my wife's handbag. And another time when an angry Bulldogs supporter got so worked up abusing Paul Kelly that his false teeth fell out and landed in my lap. That was really scary.
    Did you give them back?

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    There was nothing soft about that 50 against Cyyyyrrriiillll - he got warned 3 times at least by the Umpire for getting over the mark and continued to do so.

As for the supporters comments, it really does matter who you run in to. Case in point is the Crows - usually I've found them to be pretty tame, latte sipping types - but then this year at the Adelaide oval on the way out run into a raucous bunch that were off their faces and clearly looking to try and pick fights.

In terms of Hawthorn, I had no major issues before we won the flag in 2012. But after that, I've witnessed (and been subject to) substantial vitriol, especially since we got Buddy. The two games in Melbourne in 2014 in particular were pretty awful - in particular the GF, which stands out in my memory for seeing some of the most deplorable behaviour I've ever seen at a footy game, and the 2015 1st game in Melbourne was no better.

I've given up on games against them away from home for a while (may go if we ever play them in Tasmania again). But every group has their good and bad fans - although repeat offenders don't help one to have a good image of a club.
    Also a bit confused when Zac Jones got paid a mark and then was thrown to the ground in the last quarter, why is that a soft 50 m penalty???

Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    Also a bit confused when Zac Jones got paid a mark and then was thrown to the ground in the last quarter, why is that a soft 50 m penalty???
    Only soft in the sense that the ball traveled about 10-11m max and it should have been play on. At the end of the day you have to play to the whistle and on top of that, it's hard to feel sorry for Smith who I rate as a grade one knob. Admittedly he has some stiff competition among some of his teammates for that title...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Yeah that's what I was saying Annie that both sides were affected....But the media only highlighted the 2 missed trips to the hawks but failed to mention our missed frees.