Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: #AFL Round 18 Dockers v Swans Sat 20-Jul at Optus Stadium #AFLDockersSwans @sydneyswans

Quote Originally Posted by Go Swannies View Post
    I'm glad we lost
    I'm not. Tanking is not our style. (not that i think you're suggesting that… i hear what you're saying, but a win would've been a reward for the effort)

I hope they show the same effort against the Cats - and that would be a great one to win.
    Absolutely. Hopefully at decent odds for my rare punting exploits.

I'm looking at you Tom Papley for all those kicks to Freo…
    I agree, he was wasteful last night. Dropped marks & awful kicking.

And what's with the Lloyd hate
    I don't get it. His efforts kept Freo stuck in their defensive 50 - but we couldn't convert. A few poor kicks, but he wasn't alone. The criticism is unwarranted IMHO.

Finally, I presume Zac Jones is playing to instructions
    Coach killer at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Freo kicked 52 points. Our clearances are the problem , not Melican and co.
    Totally agree with this. It was frustrating not to win, but no one could be disappointed with the effort from a team of up-and-comers. Again a couple of blown chances in front of goal cost us, but may be not in the long term.

Veterans List
    Repeat, youngest team we've fielded since 1997.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Repeat, youngest team we've fielded since 1997.
    Serious question as I didn't start following the Swans or indeed AFL until about five years after that: was there a big clean out or retirement run after the 1996 GF loss? I know young Micky O stayed - who were the other kids? And were they as talented as this lot?

Quote Originally Posted by troyjones2525 View Post
    You are spot on RE: Lloyd! His kicking is average at best and so is his decision making. He looks great in my Supercoach side but as far as his impact for the Swans, well there's a reason that opposition sides don't bother to tag him... which is usually a rarity for players who gather a lot of possessions, he just isn't damaging.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Finally we are awaking to his poor play. Contrast him with Lewis Jetta - far fewer disposals but creative and highly effective

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Remember a 'Deer caught in the headlights' type of defender we used to have?

Won us a Grandy with a calculated, brilliant mark at the G in '05?
    Reg was the same for his first few years in defence, and look what he became.

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    No Buddy. A debutant ruckman (and all our other genuine talks inhabiting the rehab room) against 3 experienced Freo ruckmen-sized monsters. A transitioning backline - not hugely experienced (nearly all our mainstay defenders that have been lauded for the last half decade are either injured or retired) nor tall (given the size of the opposition forwards). A bunch of kids who have 1-3 years experience. One of our best recent ball users (Dawson) was in the naughty corner for the week. Scrappy yes. High pressure for 4 quarters yes! From both sides - the home side playing for a faint sniff at finals. I’m not unhappy tonight. I can’t fault my teams endeavour, effort or intensity. The execution? Sure, room for improvement, but we are young and we’re building for 2020 not salvaging 2019.
    Could not have said it better myself.

One thing I will add is Ryan C had his best game for us yet. Only concern is he will not kick for goal. No confidence maybe?

Fantastic and exciting times ahead folks. Forget Grundy, KPD or midfield bull for my 2c.
    🎯🍭

Quote Originally Posted by 111431 View Post
    Finally we are awaking to his poor play. Contrast him with Lewis Jetta - far fewer disposals but creative and highly effective
    So he makes a couple poor disposals out his 42 touches, and suddenly he has had a poor game?

And what’s the point of comparing Lloyd to Jetta? They’re a completely different style of player

Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    No Buddy. A debutant ruckman (and all our other genuine talks inhabiting the rehab room) against 3 experienced Freo ruckmen-sized monsters. A transitioning backline - not hugely experienced (nearly all our mainstay defenders that have been lauded for the last half decade are either injured or retired) nor tall (given the size of the opposition forwards). A bunch of kids who have 1-3 years experience. One of our best recent ball users (Dawson) was in the naughty corner for the week. Scrappy yes. High pressure for 4 quarters yes! From both sides - the home side playing for a faint sniff at finals. I’m not unhappy tonight. I can’t fault my teams endeavour, effort or intensity. The execution? Sure, room for improvement, but we are young and we’re building for 2020 not salvaging 2019.
    Agree 100%.

I marvel at the performance from first gamer McLean. His effort against Sandilands and Freo's band of big men was outstanding. He competed with great effort against the odds, really with the Blood's spirit. He obviously showed something to get drafted and hopefully he will add to our big man strength. He is only 20 and will hopefully continue to improve his skills and fitness. It may mean we could lose Cameron at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    I think you're also about harsh on Melican. Another when hearted performer who realistically should be playing on a third talk but due to our depleted KP defenders, is playing on a monster, giving away cms and kgs every week. His disposal is actually really good, much better than others who at times almost seem they don't want to take responsibility and fob it off to a team mate.
    I'm not sure which KPD you are referring to? Or do you mean that we need to trade for one? We are short in the KP department at both ends of the ground and in the ruck. The ruck one is due to injuries. Other than Buddy, no one missing up forward or down back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeynez View Post
    So he makes a couple poor disposals out his 42 touches, and suddenly he has had a poor game?

And what’s the point of comparing Lloyd to Jetta? They’re a completely different style of player
    My frustration with Lloyd is his ball use. Lloyd kicks back and sideways a lot and his kicking lacks penetration. Sometimes his decision making seems poor. If you are going to accumulate 30 + touches a game as an outside link player from the back half, it is imperative that you create play. He doesn't seem to be clearing it effectively.