Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: Match Day Thread Rnd 8 V Hawthorn

On the Rookie List Conor_Dillon's Avatar
    Just watching the replay now and a couple of quick points. The commentators barracking for the Hawks is even more horribly biased than I remember...could be something to do with BT and Darcy both working with Eddie at Triple M?
    Also, absolutely dominated the third quarter, should have been 5 goals up at 3/4 time.

The game was pretty even I thought, although I initially had the feeling we were lucky to win because Hawthorn missed a few good opportunities in the 4th qtr, especially the missed goals from the usually reliable Gunston and Breust.

The biggest worry was being beaten so badly at the stoppages. Hawthorn even got 11 hitouts from non-ruckmen, including 7 by Lewis. There's something not right about our preparation if stuff like that happens. Our ruck combo should be able to match it against Hale and Cegler. My recent criticism of PyKe has been about not living up to his around the ground form of 2013, but his but his stoppage work has been okay. So the effort on Saturday was a disappointment and something that will need attention before we take them on again.

Amongst the rule changes I'd like to see (apart from deliberate OOB only being possible for disposals made under 20 metres from the line) is either a) third man up at a ruck contest is disallowed or b) you're allowed to physically block the third man up from contesting. It's completely uneven at the moment.

On Pyke, I think people are being pretty harsh about his performance given the amount of work he was forced to do defensively around the ground. There were occasions where he was left to chase down Hill or Smith or playing piggy in the middle amongst 3 Hawks attackers. Why? Where were his teammates?

so right , I have resorted to muting the commentary when I am watching at home , it certainly saves on breaking remote controls listening to these one sided idiots , whatever happened to unbiased commentary of the game ...I have said it before as well McGuire and any other club presidents should not be allowed to commentate ..it is a clear conflict of interest

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Was thinking the same thing.
    McGlynn had almost the same stats and never got a mention.
    Sometimes (most of the time) I get a bit antsy about swans being underestimated like this. But then I realise we're natural underdogs. It's better for us. ie 05 win

Senior Player
    Why were the Hawks allowed to continually stop us from playing on without giving us 50 metres., it was very frustrating

Pyke was definitely playing hampered, I don't think he got higher than a foot off the ground all night in the centre bounces and he really struggled on the chase.
    Ludwig, he's the one player I'd agree to rest this week, not just because he needs it but also because Naismith has shown enough in the 2s to warrant a game.

I usually don't complain about the umpires, but I thought there were a number of harsh calls against the Swans.

Rohan had a free paid against him in the 3rd for sliding into the legs. It was close. The Hawthorn player got to the ball first. Okay. But moments later Lewis took out the legs of Tom Mitchell, but the Tom gets called for in the back. Shortly after Sam Mitchell elbowed Tom in the face for no call.

There was a series of fiercely contested contests also in the 3rd when players from both sides were dropping the ball in tackles. It was pointed out by the (incompetent as they are) commentators but no frees were called. Fair enough. But Ted was called for throwing the ball when it popped out in a tackle right in front of goal. He was tackled immediately and never had the slightest opportunity to dispose of the ball. I don't even think he had possession.

Perhaps the worst was this one:

Foul on Ted.png

Ted is smacked right in the chops in front of an ump (lower right). No call. The ball bounces out the back and a goal to Poppy.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 25th May 2015 at 08:25 PM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor_Dillon View Post
    Just watching the replay now and a couple of quick points. The commentators barracking for the Hawks is even more horribly biased than I remember...could be something to do with BT and Darcy both working with Eddie at Triple M?
    Also, absolutely dominated the third quarter, should have been 5 goals up at 3/4 time.
    It was very biased and yes the replay made it sound worse. I think swans did a great job considering we couldn't improve our team because of the trading ban yet hawthorn could with the addition of Frawley. I believe we can improve and it was a game we had to win and I don't care that all the experts think we were lucky, we won the first and last quarters and got the 4 points and a confidence boost. Just got to keep hawthorn 2 games behind us.

That free kick against Teddy was a horrible call, same with the one against Lloyd in our forward pocket in the last quarter and they both led directly to goals. There was also a blatant kicking in danger free that should have been paid against Cyril that led to a goal in the third quarter. Would have been filthy if any of those decisions cost us the 4 points.

Veterans List
    Just saw the end of the game and the crowd noise after the siren was unbelievable!

I managed to get the back of my head on tv when they were showing the players celebrating ????.

Coaches votes are in:

10 - Hannebery
    6 - Parker
    4 - Rioli
    3 - Reid
    3 - S.Mitchell
    2 - McVeigh
    2 - Frawley

Great to see Hannebery recognised, thought he was immense both on the outside and inside and was super clean all night. His kicking is as good as it's been since 2012 as well...Horse allowing him to utilise his running and outside football more this season has been a masterstroke.