Page 24 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: Horse

Horse at $1.8m p.a. Is just under 20% if of their footy dept soft cap on one man. And there is a soft cap freeze for up to 4 years.

That’s significantly north (pun intended) of the % of our salary cap the Bud commanded at his highest player payment. I’m guessing Horse won’t increase merchandise sales or membership by his mere presence. Indirectly by infield success (if it occurs with their spud list perhaps, but that’s a punt). And if success doesn’t come and they sack him prematurely, North will owe Horse the full contract unless he negotiates a settlement. Longmire would be almost crazy not to take the stupidly high offer. North are idiotic and irresponsible for offering it. The AFL should be putting similar sorts of stupid restrictions on North as they did to us for Buddy. ie they enter into this ridiculous agreement knowing that if Horse doesn’t see out the contract his wage will continue to be included in the soft cap for the duration of his contract which will also need to include the wage of Horse’s successor. That would help protect stupid clubs like North from themselves. Also, if their deal fails and Horse leaves prematurely and owes a settlement, that any financial bailouts or distributions from the AFL are minus what is owed to the departing coach. Ie North can’t be subsidised by the AFL or the other clubs for their stupid spending.

Just let them fold next time they are in strife. The club is just too stupid to warrant an existence.

Senior Player
    I would have thought that if this story is true, then the Swans would have had a sense it was coming, and also be in a similar ballpark money
    wise as to what they are prepared to pay him for any contract extension beyond next year. There will just be a rough going rate that big time
    coaches at big time clubs get paid going into the 2020's, and Longmire will get something similar to it if he stays with us beyond 2020.
    If Longmire isn't coaching us in 2021, it'll be because he doesn't want to, or we don't want him to, or both. It won't be because of money.

If Horse goes, what's the likelihood of a) other coaching staff going too b) some of our players, in particular our young up and comers. I would be absolutely devastated if he left and then guys like Blakey (X2), Papley, Hayward, Dawson, Hewett followed him over the next few years. It would stuff our rebuild but be great for North's,,.....

No doubt that North's 1.8m offer would probably include (or at least incentivise) taking Blakey senior, and Blakey junior with him.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Dawg View Post
    If Horse goes, what's the likelihood of a) other coaching staff going too b) some of our players, in particular our young up and comers. I would be absolutely devastated if he left and then guys like Blakey (X2), Papley, Hayward, Dawson, Hewett followed him over the next few years. It would stuff our rebuild but be great for North's,,.....
    a) maybe one or two guys drifting off over time, but that that happens anyway.

b) highly unlikely.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    No doubt that North's 1.8m offer would probably include (or at least incentivise) taking Blakey senior, and Blakey junior with him.
    Any chance the amount reported is not accurate? Just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by KTigers View Post
    a) maybe one or two guys drifting off over time, but that that happens anyway.

b) highly unlikely.
    I hope you are correct. But say Blakey SNR goes too, can you imagine the appeal to Blakey jnr to go to North in the hope of delivering a long awaited flag, at the club of his old man, being run by 2 north legends?

I hope you are correct. But say Blakey SNR goes too, can you imagine the appeal to Blakey jnr to go to North in the hope of delivering a long awaited flag, at the club of his old man, being run by 2 north legends?
    It's 20 years, not 72.

Senior Player
    Who knows. I'd imagine Nick Blakey's first and foremost priority is cementing his place as bona fide long term AFL footballer.
    I'm not convinced footballers (and ex-footballers) are as sentimental as some fans imagine they are. Mostly they are in a job without
    a lot of security, and practicality and survival usually comes first by a long way in those types of workplace situations.

Senior Player
    Agree with sentiments above

$1.8m over 5 years is crazy money for a coach

It would be very difficult to knock back

I hope we don't match contract length or $'s or we are opening ourselves up to a huge risk going forward

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Crazy is the word.
    Then they'll be running sausage sizzles to pay for their players.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Goes up to 11
    Maybe it also depends on whether Horse wants to live in Tassie in a few years' time....