Page 37 of 418 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787137 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

So if McCartin keeps improving as he is, could we trade Reid?

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    After tonight and seeing Aliir back in 2016 form, watching the growth of Florent, getting excited about the youngest player in the league Tom McCartin, why are we being linked to McGovern who would cost us $1mill/5years or Moore who will cost us at the trade table and want good $ we can't afford. Don't even see a position for Moore.

Surely this is mostly media idle chatter.

What type of players do we need to draft this year given we are getting Nick Blakey?
    I feel that we need to target some big bodied inside midfielders. We have some great young outside type midfielders, but we need a couple a real 'bull' who can crash and bash for long periods of game time. We need to prepare for when Kennedy retires, Hannebery is struggling with OP and I don't feel Parker has the body type to cope with this for long periods. Either target those types in the draft and/or go after a ready made one. Our midfield would be awesome with Wines in it

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    My thoughts exactly!!!

Reid has been a very expensive tease! Like Tippo.

Always showing just enough promise but never delivering and getting injury all the time.
    doof-doof

Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I feel that we need to target some big bodied inside midfielders. We have some great young outside type midfielders, but we need a couple a real 'bull' who can crash and bash for long periods of game time. We need to prepare for when Kennedy retires, Hannebery is struggling with OP and I don't feel Parker has the body type to cope with this for long periods. Either
    Why don't we target this kid Jordan Dawson?

Anyway, we have Tom Papley, who unlike Parker, has the body type (and demeanor) begging for a good pounding.

At this point in the season, I don't see us targeting any specific type of player, as we have good depth in all types. It's always nice to get those medium sized players with pace like Rampe and Rohan, if one is available.

I liked the little that we saw of Foote this year before his injury and think he's far from a certain delisting. I actually think he has more upside than Robinson and Marsh.

I'm not sure what to make of Rose. He's having a pretty good season and deserves another shot at senior footy.

I would be looking to trade Newman as things stand now. I like his game, but I think he will find it hard to make the senior side in coming years. I prefer to Fox instead if I had to make a choice.

The most likely senior list outs for me this year (and it's early days) are Robinson, Marsh, Newman, Tippett and Naismith, who could perhaps get a rookie contract, but certainly not a senior list contract given that he's unlikely to play senior footy next season and his long term future is unclear.
    Last edited by Ludwig; 16th June 2018 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Why don't we target this kid Jordan Dawson?

Anyway, we have Tom Papley, who unlike Parker, has the body type (and demeanor) begging for a good pounding.
    Agreed on Dawson. The lad just needs to get a few games together in the seconds and then given a real opportunity in the senior team.

Afl.com.au�s guide to what we would look for and be prepared to give up in a hypothetical mid-season trade.

Mid-year trade table: Who your club should target - AFL.com.au

They�ve suggested we chase Darcy Moore, Mitch McGovern and Jayden Hunt and look to trade Aliir, Nic Newman and Dean Towers.

Last two probably correct. I think we have plenty of outside speed. Could do with explosive speed, good users by foot, and another ruckman.

3 names mentioned in the article are Tom Nicholls, Marc Pittonet and Brayden Preuss.

Veterans List
    I doubt we'll bring in any players, too many knocking down the door in the NEAFL and bringing in players costs dollars, home grown players are always cheaper so you can fit more top liners in you squad than if you buy them in.

I don't see any glaring holes in our list, seems well balanced. There will be some progression in players like Ronke who will end up an explosive midfielder, just has all the moves and footy smarts. Dawson is our next midfield bull. Can't see a place for the expensive in salary and trade Moore, want him to stay at the Pies.

Just see if we can get some pick upgrades with moving fringe players, as shown by the Murray trade, our fringe players have trade currency. Or how about some shenanigans trading our first for a couple further out but worth more points. Gold Coast have a stack of picks in the 20/30s that would suit our purpose trading them our first. Then go to the draft, get Blakey and best available at our next picks. Late pick or draft a development ruckman to slot in behind Darcy Cameron.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    McCartin, regardless of how he's looking, is just a kid, will not really start to influence games for another couple of years, just does cameos and they don't win you flags. Reid when fit really impacts games, he's mature and one of the best pack marks in the AFL, McCartin looks promising but can't do what Reid does.

Veterans List
    Reid when fit really impacts games, he's mature and one of the best pack marks in the AFL, McCartin looks promising but can't do what Reid does.
    .....yet.

Veterans List
    A reasonable assessment of our season so far......afl.com.au's 'mid season report card' of our team.

This Swan needs to get back to his best - AFL.com.au ......that Swans being Hanners.

I doubt we'll bring in any players, too many knocking down the door in the NEAFL and bringing in players costs dollars, home grown players are always cheaper so you can fit more top liners in you squad than if you buy them in.

I don't see any glaring holes in our list, seems well balanced. There will be some progression in players like Ronke who will end up an explosive midfielder, just has all the moves and footy smarts. Dawson is our next midfield bull. Can't see a place for the expensive in salary and trade Moore, want him to stay at the Pies.

Just see if we can get some pick upgrades with moving fringe players, as shown by the Murray trade, our fringe players have trade currency. Or how about some shenanigans trading our first for a couple further out but worth more points. Gold Coast have a stack of picks in the 20/30s that would suit our purpose trading them our first. Then go to the draft, get Blakey and best available at our next picks. Late pick or draft a development ruckman to slot in behind Darcy Cameron.
    Am I the only one who thinks we need another GOOD ruckman?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    A reasonable assessment of our season so far......afl.com.au's 'mid season report card' of our team.

This Swan needs to get back to his best - AFL.com.au ......that Swans being Hanners.
    Aarrghh its video. With Matt Thompson. Does anyone listen to the disdain for him on the AFL Exchange podcast?

Warming the Bench
    Yes I think we would only pick up a ruckman in the draft. When Naismith is back fit we'll have him, Sinclair and Cameron. Although Cameron is untried at senior level he looks to be ready, last thing we need is another ahead of him (unless one is traded out)