Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Rnd 4 Match Day Thread Adelaide Crows V Sydney Swans. 19.10pm (ACST) Adelaide Oval.

Veterans List
    Mills knocker back off. We have an 18yo kid playing way beyond his age in the back line where any error is amplified. He is sheer class, looks like a classy mature player already and I'll give you a stat from Saturday night, five intercept marks! Yes, that is five!

We are very fortunate to have picked up Heeney and Mills when we finished as high as we did because these guys are both elite talents.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    McVeigh is still on my watch list.
    I think he's kinda done, and have been saying so most of last year. Really hope he proves me wrong.

McGlynn added a bit. Run and drive.
    Heeney was a star.
    Ted had a pretty forgettable day. Made to look less bad because Rample did well covering for him.
    Papley played his first game at the elite level and has a way to go.
    Mills on the other had showed he could match it (at times) and will continue on his merry way
    Can I say that Buddy was average when he kicked 4? I think I can.
    Hate him up the ground and my fear is that he doesn't posses the skills to create much in the forward line consistently.
    Nankervis was ok I guess.
    Kennedy, Mitchell and Parker weren't as they have been
    Grundy was ok, probably had an average game.
    Hanners, Jack and Cunningham were great
    Laidler didn't have the impact he normally does
    Tough on Buddy I reckon. Actually clunked some marks in the second half which was a nice surprise.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Mills knocker back off. We have an 18yo kid playing way beyond his age in the back line where any error is amplified. He is sheer class, looks like a classy mature player already and I'll give you a stat from Saturday night, five intercept marks! Yes, that is five!

We are very fortunate to have picked up Heeney and Mills when we finished as high as we did because these guys are both elite talents.
    Reckon it was Mills' best game to date. Took some very gutsy marks.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Veterans List

Mills is becoming our "Easton Wood' and that is a very handy asset to have in our side.

Probably a bit tough on Buddy. Probably more critical of the coaching staff playing him all over the ground, rather than where he is sometimes needed.
    Rather see him working on escaping the clutches of a full back more and taking some easy marks, which we don;t see as often as we used to.
    Adelaide is a pass in this area as the whole team played well and left little room for him.
    But he's had trouble making space all season so far.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Mills knocker back off. We have an 18yo kid playing way beyond his age in the back line where any error is amplified
    No team should tolerate such basic decision-making errors from anyone on their list. Send him to the ressies to learn some lessons.

Just kidding:-)

Mills clearly has what it takes to be a star. The way he reads the ball is Jack Riewoldtesque. It's remarkable that in his 4th game the only knock on his game is a few dodgy decisions. He'll learn with experience and good coaching.

Papley will also learn fast. He looked a bit panicked at times but now he knows what to expect I think he'll improve. I'm not convinced he'll make it yet - too many players have given me false hope- but I don't see why not.

Also we played Heeney too much last year. Four fewer games and he would be red hot for the rising star.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerman View Post
    Papley will also learn fast. He looked a bit panicked at times but now he knows what to expect I think he'll improve. I'm not convinced he'll make it yet - too many players have given me false hope- but I don't see why not.
    If Mills cleans up his use of the ball, he will be right up there for the RS this year. His reading of the game is absolutely superb, and his skills are great as well - its the decision making that is letting him down. But it doesn't matter how good a player you are, that isn't a skill that you simply have at the top level (bar the very, very, very special players going around) - it takes time to develop. He is already an integral part of our team and he has played 4 games. Just imagine how good he and Heeney will be when they've played 54 games, or 104 games. Both clearly are (touch wood on the injury side) every chance to be 300 gamers for our great club. And if they turn out to be as good as we all hope, with a bit of luck, then there is every chance there might be a Premiership or Two thrown in as well. They are out future, but they are also part of the current - and by gee its exciting to watch them develop.

As for Papley - he is sooooo far ahead of where anyone expected him to be, that we can only be stoked with what he has shown so far. Even if he was to be dropped back to ressies from here and not return to the senior squad this year, it would be a successful year. There is most definitely something about him - the guys clearly love have him in the side, and he is every chance to be a young gem from the rough, just like many a star who have come before him in Red and White. As you say Beerman, we can't be convinced that he will make it - but by gee we can't have asked for much more yet, even if he had a quiet game on Saturday night.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Spot on.

To clarify. when I said I wasn't convinced about Papley I meant I wasn't certain about him in the way I am about Mills, not that there's anything fundamentally wrong with his game.

Amen. I got 90, thats right 90, points for Dreamteam time, so he must have done a whole lot right. Love it when he plays with a smile on his face. Nothing phases him. We've got a keeper.

I have a theory. The kids have Kirky as a mentor and they are doing all right. Freo have lost him and ....... well.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I'd get Garry Jack in to teach them how to stick when trying to tackle.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Watching the replay last night, I saw Rampe and Laidler rip into Mills when he made a clanger kicking out. Seemed a bit harsh on a new young player.

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    I have a theory. The kids have Kirky as a mentor and they are doing all right. Freo have lost him and ....... well.
    I think your theory has merit Primmy.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Watching the replay last night, I saw Rampe and Laidler rip into Mills when he made a clanger kicking out. Seemed a bit harsh on a new young player.
    Didn't see that. Both of those are notorious for turning the footy over out of the backline.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton