Page 514 of 521 FirstFirst ... 14414464504510511512513514515516517518 ... LastLast
Results 6,157 to 6,168 of 6242

Thread: 2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I'm not necessarily sure that the girlfriend is the sole deciding factor, reading between the lines there may be something more to it than that (although I could be wrong of course!)

What female in her early 20's wouldn't want to come and live in Sydney for a few years with their highly paid AFL boyfriend??
    I wondered about this too.

Champion data rated our draft haul but raise question marks about our not drafting anyone to start in the centre square: AFL Video - AFL.com.au. They raise the valid point that it will be "interesting" to see how we address this in the year ahead. I tend to think we'll be ok provided the injury gods are kind to us but if we get a couple of midfielders out we will learn a lot.

Regular in the Side
    Maybe left field but I wonder about starting Rampe in the centre. I know he would be missed in the backs but I think he could be a real weapon in the midfield.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    Maybe left field but I wonder about starting Rampe in the centre. I know he would be missed in the backs but I think he could be a real weapon in the midfield.
    Nup. This comes up every year at this time. Don't rob Peter to pay Paul. If they were going to do it would've done it by now.

2019 trading, drafting and list management: players and personnel

Last year players who were tipped to spend more time in the mids did not for a variety of reasons. Mills had to stay back due to injuries to Grundy, Smith and Macca. Heeney spent nearly all season forward due to an injury he sustained in either the first or second games. Will Hayward was injured almost all season and therefore, at different times Rowbottom and Apley played more forward time.

We have drafted some outside talent but traded in hard mids. Taylor is tough as is Grey. In the 2020 Daft we will pick up Gulden and Campbell, both inside mids although both can also play forward.

Hewett became the mid we knew he could last year. Parker is not dead yet, his back half of he season was very good. Dawson has a big body and can pinch hit in there too. I think we will be ok
    Last edited by wolftone57; 17th December 2019 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Forgot two players

Veterans List
    The Herald Sun has reported that Kinnear Beatson is going to extend his contract with us and that Carlton have missed out 😀. I can't read the full article but this is excellent news.

In the lead up to the draft when we were figuring out who we should take with our first pick. I kept visualising taking a player like Rowbottom more so than Kennedy. Someone who can tackle and win the ball but also has good hands, mobility and decision making. I think the Devon Robertson was closest player with those attributes. But we have still got Rowbottom for another few years and I am happy with Stephens. I am relieved we did not draft Flanders just because we felt we had to draft a mature body mid.

I think we will cope even with midfield injuries. As mentioned our increased depth in other areas allows us to move Mills/Heeney/Gray into midfield if required. And a first year draftee probably was not going to have a immediate impact as an inside midfielder anyway.

It's been interesting going back and watching all the under18 state games

Flanders did surprise me in the end

Better then I thought but not what we need in comparison to Dylan Stephens

Quote Originally Posted by caj23 View Post
    I'm not necessarily sure that the girlfriend is the sole deciding factor, reading between the lines there may be something more to it than that (although I could be wrong of course!)

What female in her early 20's wouldn't want to come and live in Sydney for a few years with their highly paid AFL boyfriend??
    It wasn't the sole factor obviously. There was an illness in the family I am led to believe by someone closer than us. But the girlfriend thing is important too. Some people from Melbourne, including my nieces and nephews, would not think happily about a life in Sydney. Melburnians generally don't want to move to Sydney. Many do of course, to further their career or for other reasons, and become Sydneysiders. But if you took a survey of Melbournites on moving to Sydney I'm pretty confident it would be in the negative. This is why the Melbourne go home factor is so huge compared to WA or SA. What's more it is compounded when they are from the Bush near Melbourne

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    It wasn't the sole factor obviously. There was an illness in the family I am led to believe by someone closer than us. But the girlfriend thing is important too. Some people from Melbourne, including my nieces and nephews, would not think happily about a life in Sydney. Melburnians generally don't want to move to Sydney. Many do of course, to further their career or for other reasons, and become Sydneysiders. But if you took a survey of Melbournites on moving to Sydney I'm pretty confident it would be in the negative. This is why the Melbourne go home factor is so huge compared to WA or SA. What's more it is compounded when they are from the Bush near Melbourne

the other thing is, that he trains and is at the club alot, his weekends are recovering or playing when home, every second weekends he's gone. If she has no other friends up there, it'd be tough and not such an attractive opportunity if she's content at home.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post

They would miss living in a city that smells like pee

Quote Originally Posted by Mel_C View Post
    The Herald Sun has reported that Kinnear Beatson is going to extend his contract with us and that Carlton have missed out 😀. I can't read the full article but this is excellent news.
    SEN article references the Hun. Brilliant news!

Report: Highly rated list manager re-signs with club, knocks back Carlton advance