Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Round 10: Swans v Blues @ SCG

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Apparently, there’s nothing to learn about the team on top of the ladder giving a bath to everyone they come up against. Flying under the radar is one thing, but this is such myopic crap.

Eight things we learned: Patrick Cripps and Sam Walsh need more support from Carlton's midfield
    I'm wondering what next week's learning will be? My prediction is: heavy loss places further pressure on Beveridge.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    It might be an interesting exercise to go through all of those "things we learned" and keep a count of teams mentioned in each, with 1/2 a point if both teams are mentioned more or less evenly. Which teams get mentioned the most?
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Watching the replay, midfield and the Swans in general got a pretty good and extensive rave on Fox post game coverage. What a rare thrill. Even questioned during the game if there might be a problem with peaking too early. Is it true? I do feel a little nervous that the footy gods may have a sting in the tail somewhere!

Theres time to go off the boil for awhile and then build strongly for the finals campaign.

Aut vincere aut mori Thunder Shaker's Avatar
    My secret laboratory in the suburbs of Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
    Watching the replay, midfield and the Swans in general got a pretty good and extensive rave on Fox post game coverage. What a rare thrill. Even questioned during the game if there might be a problem with peaking too early. Is it true? I do feel a little nervous that the footy gods may have a sting in the tail somewhere!
    Peaking too early can happen. I remember the disappointment of 1987 - running up cricket scores with three consecutive games with 30 goals or more, before falling away and getting hammered late in the season.

It is also possible that we're just getting started.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    Apparently, there’s nothing to learn about the team on top of the ladder giving a bath to everyone they come up against. Flying under the radar is one thing, but this is such myopic crap.

Eight things we learned: Patrick Cripps and Sam Walsh need more support from Carlton's midfield
    SEN has better coverage here: The big talking points and questions out of Round 10
    Topics covered, in order:
    * Sydney
    * Pendlebury
    * GWS
    * Geelong
    "Unbelievable!" -- Nick Davis leaves his mark on the 2005 semi final

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Shaker View Post
    Peaking too early can happen. I remember the disappointment of 1987 - running up cricket scores with three consecutive games with 30 goals or more, before falling away and getting hammered late in the season.

It is also possible that we're just getting started.

- - - Updated - - -

SEN has better coverage here: The big talking points and questions out of Round 10
    Topics covered, in order:
    * Sydney
    * Pendlebury
    * GWS
    * Geelong
    Thanks for that link. It’s a much better summary than the AFL’s own Vic-centred site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Veteran Site Admin
    Our current form does rely on the form of Warner and Heeney, in particular. Gulden's been good but he has another level to go to if we need him to. So if we lose one or either of Warner or Heeney for a period, or their form is stunted by a niggle, we may drop off a bit. Or it may be that others can/will step up.

We do have the upside (possibly) of fit and fired up versions of Mills and/or Parker coming in in the back third of the season, free of niggles and full of enthusiasm. If some of our existing crew are flagging, they may be valuable reinforcements. If they can't find a spot in the team, that suggests we're still going pretty well.

And we still have upside with our forward triad. The forward line as a unit is functioning exceptionally well, but all three of the talls have scope for individual improvement. It may not come this season. It may never come. But it's certainly possible it does. And even if it doesn't (this season), we're going ok with their current output.

I think there is enough experience vs incredibly talented youth to get through this season well. We have seen enough data to say we are a bloody high probability of being the team to beat.

As always injuries will play a major factor.

The list of experience is strong.

Heeney
    Rampe
    Grundy
    Patch
    Parker
    Mills
    Cunningham
    Lloyd
    Paps
    Florent
    Hayward
    Blakey
    McCartin
    Etc

It’s a very good blend in my opinion.

Our main style of play relies upon very high pressure middle to forward of the ball…. which reduces the demands on our backline having to play tall. Which also means on average less time for big leading forward lines when we are attacking. It was helter skelter and kicks round the corner left right and centre with great accuracy.vs Carlton.

We saw the Blues having to shift Curnow (for parts of the game) into the backs to get him involved.

I think Geelong showed how to beat us in GF via locking it into our forward line. Yet we are an entirely different team now in experience, strength, run and consistent skill.

Our inside 50 efficiency at high 50% for most games is just making life very tough for the opposition.

GWS ( from memory ) was the team that we had to find another way to win this season. We got up by 4 goals or so but our inside 50 efficiency was poor - partly because of the backline defensive shape and match ups.

Veterans List
    I thought Rowbottom was outstanding. 16 tackles, but also what doesn't seem to be a stat, is when he causes a stoppage by contesting the ball on the ground. He's like a dog with a bone. His goal in the last quarter was a gem. Contested on the ground, managed to get to his feet and shrug off players, got his balance and nailed the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

And we still have upside with our forward triad. The forward line as a unit is functioning exceptionally well, but all three of the talls have scope for individual improvement. It may not come this season. It may never come. But it's certainly possible it does. And even if it doesn't (this season), we're going ok with their current output.
    I was thinking about this after the game, where I felt Amartey and McLean played reasonably well, but MacDonald was a bit off. They are still very much a work in progress and are not likely to reach their peak for another couple of years, especially if you look at the trajectory for their demographic.

As a group, they are giving us more than enough right now and expect a continual improvement over the coming years. There are likely to be some speed humps, as injury is more likely than not at some point in time. If they do stay relatively free of injury this season, it will be interesting to see how much improvement they can make by the end of the season.

One noticeable positive is that all 3 seem to recognise that they just need to do the basics well to perform their roles, and they don't have to be goal kickers to help the team win.

I've been hearing media analysis questioning our 3 tall forward setup (McDonald, Armatey & MacLean), whether it will stand up comes finals.

Previously, they were (rightly) suggesting were too Buddy focused, but now we're unpredictable with even goal spread from the 3 talls plus Hayward, with each having their moments & games.

So i don't buy into the questioning of our tall forward setup come finals because they currently may not be power forwards like Carlton's. I'm also happy with their collective output plus we have the weapon of having a goal scoring midfield which adds further to our unpredictability & scoring prowess!

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    The thing I like about our forwards at the moment is they're still finding ways to contribute. McDonald had 7 score involvements the other night, Hayden had his best game for the year and his contested marking was back (on top of his secondary ruck role), and Amartey made a lot more contests. McDonald's tap down to Heeney and McLean's stellar handball out to Chad in the third quarter were great examples. All three have their limitations still, but as long as they're staying engaged, forcing their opponents to stay accountable, and finding ways to keep the scoreboard ticking, then cool cool.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say