Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Elimination Final vs Carlton at MCG, Friday 8 September 2023, 7:50 PM

My first game was in 1971 as a 9yo (almost 10) against Geelong at the Lakeside Oval with my older brother. Couldn't see any of the game being a little kid in the standing section behind the cheer squad, till the last quarter when my brother sat me on his shoulders briefly to get a quick glimpse! Not even standing on 4 empty steel beer cans helped me (which was a popular practice back then for shorter people).

Went home happy as we won the game & drinking 4 cans of beer (only kidding!!!) but we finished the year winning the spoon with only 2 wins, the 2nd being return game against Geelong IIRC?

Anyhow, all this Carlton Media love is making me sick, as I still remember all their arrogant supporters from back in their heyday. 1993 when they wanted to dance on our graves by requesting to play their away games at the SCG when it looked we would fold. Poaching Rhys-Jones, Bernie Evans and Peter Bedford before them. 1945 Boodbath GF (played at Princess Park of course!).

Hate them & nothing would please me more than to make their long awaited finals re-appearance short lived & spoil the media's fantasy of a Carlton v Collingwood final in the 2nd week.
    Last edited by KSAS; 3rd September 2023 at 02:14 PM.

Outer wing, Lake Oval Sandridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KSAS View Post

Anyhow, all this Carlton Media love is making me sick, as I still remember all their arrogant supporters from back in their heyday. 1993 when they wanted to dance on our graves by requesting to play their away games at the SCG when it looked we would fold.
    I will never forget - or forgive - Carlton's role in that particular time in our history. I remember distinctly a week when our survival was a day to day proposition. i would wake up in the morning and turn on the radio to see if I still had a club to support. Swans fans should never, ever forget that Carlton was anxious for our club to fold.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I will never forget - or forgive - Carlton's role in that particular time in our history. I remember distinctly a week when our survival was a day to day proposition. i would wake up in the morning and turn on the radio to see if I still had a club to support. Swans fans should never, ever forget that Carlton was anxious for our club to fold.
    Carlton Media Love, any Victorian Club Media love is based on one thing, keeping people watching.
    Given the locations of the BULK of AFL supporters, it ultimately focuses on Vic clubs.
    Even all the programs on Fox Footy will spend the bulk of their time on Vic clubs.
    It is not favourtism, it is not bias, it is keeping people watching.
    And, they know where the bulk of their viewership is.
    Later in the week the daily shows will given some token spots to NSW, Qld, SA & WA.

Don't get me started on the occasional talk of 'Vic bias umpires'...

As for Carlton wanting wrap up South Melbourne, yup and, they were at the front of the queue to do so.
    Those were interesting times.

Back in my box, Happy Fathers Day to those who apply.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallG View Post
    As for Carlton wanting wrap up South Melbourne, yup and, they were at the front of the queue to do so.
    Those were interesting times.
    Amazingly, it was Collingwood who played a huge role in saving us. Upon finding out Carlton's plans to replace us in the Sydney market when we folded, the Collingwood president at the time urged the rest of the clubs to enable our club to continue. Of course, he wasn't trying to be nice to us, he was trying to stuff up the plans of Collingwood's arch rival!

I wonder where Carlton saw the move of playing away games to Sydney, going long term?.
    Slowly pull out of Sydney leaving it without an AFL side, or
    Become so popular that they move to Sydney permanently?

Can't really see any of those, including just keeping playing away games, being in Carlton's long term interests

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandridge View Post
    I remember when they started to go badly in the early 2000s when we started to become a very good side. I booked a reserved seat early for the games we played against them at Princes Park. Revelled in each and every win.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I wonder where Carlton saw the move of playing away games to Sydney, going long term?.
    Slowly pull out of Sydney leaving it without an AFL side, or
    Become so popular that they move to Sydney permanently?

Can't really see any of those, including just keeping playing away games, being in Carlton's long term interests
    It's hard to believe but the AFL was on board with making other clubs play their home games against Carlton in Sydney.

Carlton must've seen financial advantages in the move but I agree with you, barry. hard to see it working long term! What irked Collingwood - and ultimately the other clubs - the most was that Carlton playing home games at Carlton and all of its "away" games in Sydney meant that Carlton virtually had 2 home grounds.

Senior Player
    They were incredibly arrogant for about 30 years from the late 1960s till it all came crashing down.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    They were incredibly arrogant for about 30 years from the late 1960s till it all came crashing down.
    They brought it on themselves. John Elliott was an unmitigated disaster.

Senior Player
    He was the epitome of it.

Veterans List
    My brother was telling me a funny story that Kouta told at a recent sportsmens event about his first contract negotiations with Ian Collins, with his non-English speaking parents in tow. Apparently after the contract had been signed, Kouta Sr has innovatively asked whether perhaps some of the contract payments could be handled by way of cash. As Kouta noted, his old man was years ahead of Jack Elliott in his thinking!

Collingwood backed South but only 'cos they hated Carlton.

There's a great book that covers it all.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast