Page 130 of 132 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130131132 LastLast
Results 1,549 to 1,560 of 1579

Thread: Finals

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    But we all know that nothing is going to change. There's a long term GF contract with the MCG and lots of other things which favour Victorian clubs. Some Swans' fans on here have become so frustrated they say they're are giving up football. I suppose that's an option. Otherwise, what else can we do, except live with the reality of the situation?
    You're right about the contract and I love watching the Swans play and the great culture of the club so I will continue to watch and support the team. Some things are more difficult to ignore than others, especially if it happens again next year, maybe to us.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Just stating facts mate. Nothing to do with my integrity. They have just upped the salary cap by 20%. They don't do that using fresh air.
    No surprise you missed that I was talking about the league's integrity.....not yours, but in swallowing and accepting the garbage the AFL throws up (or should that be vomit?) it does make your 'integrity' at least a little questionable, if you're asking.
    Last edited by stevoswan; 4th October 2017 at 05:51 PM.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    KT it comes down to the $$$$. I don't disagree that GF's should be played at different venues. It is how it is for a number of years. Barry says it is not to do with TV rights but I can't see how it doesn't have a big influence on the venue. The AFL wants as many bums on seats at a GF. Imagine if the GF was in Adelaide and only a % quota was given to Adelaide members. They would pull the stand down. The corporates are always going to get a slice of the action regardless of the venue.
    .......and this situation is completely unacceptable and should be to you. We didn't come down in the last shower, we know why it's held at the 'G, we know money is what drives the league (among the other biases mentioned in previous posts....equally unacceptable) but we also know where the league is based. It's a joke and shouldn't be 'acceptable' to anyone, especially Victorians who barrack for the Swans.....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Swans' supporters putting premierships as the be and end all for measuring how our season went are setting themselves up for disappointment. Just accept the landscape as it is and deal with it. Of course Victorian clubs have a big advantage in the GF. I take this into account and set the bar lower for what I consider a successful season. Finishing top 4 or playing in a Prelim Final is a very good season in my book. Making the GF for us is the equivalent of winning a GF for a Victorian club. For an interstate team to win, they almost have to get lucky enough to play another interstate team.

We all wish it were different. I even posted a solution to these inequities (by reducing the competition to 12 clubs). But I can't see anything changing in the foreseeable future, so it just has to be my mindset that changes if I don't want to habitually upset about the pro-Victorian position of the league.
    I agree with some of what you're saying Ludwig but lowering the bar and accepting a bad situation, because in reality, it can't be changed is like raising the white flag. What is that saying with "when good men do nothing"?........a quick Google: �The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.� We can't let it all become too entrenched, it will just get harder and harder to reverse.

Veterans List
    I suppose all this stuff makes our 2012 GF win over the Dawks seem monumental, which it damn well was! That of course, was pre-Buddy to the Swans, when it all changed and Gil and the Vic powerbrokers really kicked into their xenophobic worst.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan View Post
    I suppose all this stuff makes our 2012 GF win over the Dawks seem monumental, which it damn well was! That of course, was pre-Buddy to the Swans, when it all changed and Gil and the Vic powerbrokers really kicked into their xenophobic worst.
    It was a massive win built on huge heart and some luck with Hawthorn's inaccuracy. Trade ban was another massive injustice that had slipped my mind. Instigated by that vindictive turd Fitzpatrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    It was a massive win built on huge heart and some luck with Hawthorn's inaccuracy. Trade ban was another massive injustice that had slipped my mind. Instigated by that vindictive turd Fitzpatrick.
    What a farce! While I dont agree about the removal of COLA I can understand the perspective taken, but the trade ban on the other hand seemed to be grounded in no real reasoning except jealousy! We did nothing wrong

Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan
    Why does Melbourne have to have a third big stadium?!

I didn't say 'BIG'. I meant a stadium/oval/venue that could accommodate many of the teams that use the MCG as their home ground. Interstate visiting teams would be given more games at the MCG so it would be more neutral come finals time.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoswan
    Why does Melbourne have to have a third big stadium?!

I didn't say 'BIG'. I meant a stadium/oval/venue that could accommodate many of the teams that use the MCG as their home ground. Interstate visiting teams would be given more games at the MCG so it would be more neutral come finals time.
    Know you're trying to improve the situation boogie but no non Vic team that finishes higher than its opponent should have to travel anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Fever View Post
    Know you're trying to improve the situation boogie but no non Vic team that finishes higher than its opponent should have to travel anywhere.
    Simple solution really. Movable grand final.

And Vic's shouldnt be too worried there will still be plenty of MCG grand finals

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    Simple solution really. Movable grand final.

And Vic's shouldnt be too worried there will still be plenty of MCG grand finals
    A NFL-type rotating GF system is the only feasible alternative to the current fixed MCG venue. It is not logistically practical to decide the venue only after the GF competitors are known - plans need to be in place well before the end of the season.

But a rotating system would only by chance mean a �home� GF for non-Victorian GF competitors. And would be likely to mean that a Victorian club often gets a home GF when it is the turn for the MCG to be the venue.

Why not hold the GF at the home stadium of the minor premier? That would be fair. The minor premier may occasionally not make it to the GF but they usually do.

We all know that it won't happen though because the MCG GF means too much money for the AFL and the AFL is Victorian centric.