PDA

View Full Version : Oh no we've lost 2 games.

swans_premiers
17th April 2005, 05:51 PM
Oh no we've lost 2 games to the early starters for the year in Kangaroos and Adelaide...lets blood the kids our season is over!!! I can't even remember ANY team that made the top 4 after being 2-2 especially the SWANS..but i guess we're just middle table:(

It's the highs and lows of football we've been the 3rd best team over the last few years and with Port and Brisbane only getting older and losing players this will be a good year for us(who have we lost?), we've got some finals experience, we have match winners and we have depth. We'll beat melbourne next week and we'll all forget about today.

footyhead
17th April 2005, 05:56 PM
Just like you forgot about the first 3 quarters of the game againts the lions during this week?

Time for the Swans to really take a good good look at themselves.

17th April 2005, 05:58 PM
It is not about how many losses, it is about how we lost them. The game against Brisbane was a lucky win. Perhaps, footyhead was right. We should have lost that game so the reality could be seen much clearer.

We have no half forward life. Have no target from the kick out.

swans_premiers
17th April 2005, 05:58 PM
You're right, everyteam in history should take a good hard look at themselves, even the bombers of 2000 lost a game.

ROK Lobster
17th April 2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by swans_premiers
Oh no we've lost 2 games to the early starters for the year in Kangaroos and Adelaide...lets blood the kids our season is over!!! I can't even remember ANY team that made the top 4 after being 2-2 especially the SWANS..but i guess we're just middle table:(

It's the highs and lows of football we've been the 3rd best team over the last few years and with Port and Brisbane only getting older and losing players this will be a good year for us(who have we lost?), we've got some finals experience, we have match winners and we have depth. We'll beat melbourne next week and we'll all forget about today.
I still think we are a chance for last year's flag.

One good quarter of footy, some favourable umpiing and opposition inaccuracy won for us v Bris. We could easilly be 1-3, and probably should be. We have serious problems.

SXP
17th April 2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by ROK Lobster
I still think we are a chance for last year's flag.

One good quarter of footy, some favourable umpiing and opposition inaccuracy won for us v Bris. We could easilly be 1-3, and probably should be. We have serious problems.

Agree 100%. I thought that fantastic win in Brisbane would inspire our players, but there are deeper issues here and we are failing to see them. In about a fortnight we'll know how we stand this season.

Jeffers1984
17th April 2005, 06:13 PM
We have a very poor record of scoring a win after a big win the week prior. It happened in 03 after we lost the pies when we beat brisbane the week before and now of course this game.

The Demons Anzac Day/Weekend game seems to be the barometer of how we go for the upcoming weeks (03 we started that huge run, 04 we went on a 3 match losing streak).

NMWBloods
17th April 2005, 06:19 PM

Anyone with half a brain won't forget about today. This is why I was discussing the Brisbane game in detail, despite some people saying we should just enoy it regardless of how it happened. The signs were there last week, as previously, that we are struggling.

Make as many smartarse sarcastic comments as you have done in your first paragraph, but the simple fact of the matter is that the Swans have underperformed for decades and rarely look like threatening to win a premiership and disappoint more often than anything else.

Did you make this comment after we lost a few games last year and some of us comment on our weaknesses, and the year before and the year before...

BonBon
17th April 2005, 06:22 PM
I don't like the look of the next few games we've got.

Slick Swans
19th April 2005, 11:28 PM

SPOT ON!!!! Good Call the season is definatly over after being 2-2. I think we need to take a harder look about half way through the season, i mean Port has only won 1 game, but i'm certain, as i am with the swans that they will pull there finger out and start palying good footy again.

We have no half forward line? We have the same half forward line as the past 2 years nd it's been described as one of the best around. It's just a pity that we dont have any midfielders that can hit them on the tit from 50 metres away.

Have some faith! This is why Melbourne clubs contantly get higher attendances to their games.

Schneiderman
19th April 2005, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by NMWBloods
Make as many smartarse sarcastic comments as you have done in your first paragraph, but the simple fact of the matter is that the Swans have underperformed for decades and rarely look like threatening to win a premiership and disappoint more often than anything else.

There you go again :rolleyes:

Good on you swans_premiers for having a positive spirit. If last week had been the GF, NMW would still be pulling it apart and "reminding us" that the signs for the future were dire. And if we were ever to get to three in a row like Brisbane, we'd be reminded that nothing last for ever.

As my dad always told me: Every cloud has a silver lining, and will probably bring rain.

dendol
19th April 2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Schneiderman

Good on you swans_premiers for having a positive spirit. If last week had been the GF, NMW would still be pulling it apart and "reminding us" that the signs for the future were dire. And if we were ever to get to three in a row like Brisbane, we'd be reminded that nothing last for ever.

As my dad always told me: Every cloud has a silver lining, and will probably bring rain.

How many GF's have the swans played in since 1945? Don't think too hard.

NMWBloods
19th April 2005, 11:45 PM
There I go again...?!?! :confused: I made that post two days ago!!

Good on you swans_premiers for having a positive spirit. If last week had been the GF, NMW would still be pulling it apart and "reminding us" that the signs for the future were dire.
I hate to tell you, last week was not the grand final, it was a game at home we should have won and we are a long way from the GF.

You would be happy I suppose if we made the GF and played like we did on Sunday?

And if we were ever to get to three in a row like Brisbane, we'd be reminded that nothing last for ever.
You really do make some idiotic posts.

When was the last time we even made just two GFs in a row? How about even two PFs in a row? What about 3 SFs then?

Schneiderman
19th April 2005, 11:47 PM
You really do make some idiotic posts.

And again.

Bron
19th April 2005, 11:47 PM
I believe it's a mental thing. We need to change beliefs and expectations. Whilst we can say we are a champion team (not a team of champions) each player needs to believe that their contribution is critical to the overall success. I don't know that is the case right now. I see individuals critical of their own play, but not enough of the coherency of the team. Which is not in concert with Roos' stated position.

NMWBloods
19th April 2005, 11:49 PM
And again.
Yeah, avoid all the parts you're wrong and instead slice me apart with your razor sharp reparte... :rolleyes:

Schneiderman
19th April 2005, 11:59 PM
Yeah, avoid all the parts you're wrong and instead slice me apart with your razor sharp reparte... :rolleyes:

I dont even try to slice you apart, I leave that sort of commentary to you. I merely stated that you took a shot at swans_premiers because he correctly pointed out that its not the end of the world when you lose two games out of four.

You seem hell-bent on doing a Nostradamus in mid April, when history clearly shows that it is completely impossible to do so accurately (except for maybe the Bombers in 2000). And you use "decades of underperformance" to prove your point about why things look dire - because the Swans have this "history" of disappointing fans.

The most annoying thing is that if we win, and even if we were to win a Premiership, people would be too happy to point it out to you. However, the moment we lose a game you jump in and claim credit for "predicting" it. Doesn't make anyone feel any better though does it?

dendol
20th April 2005, 12:04 AM
You seem hell-bent on doing a Nostradamus in mid April, when history clearly shows that it is completely impossible to do so accurately (except for maybe the Bombers in 2000). And you use "decades of underperformance" to prove your point about why things look dire - because the Swans have this "history" of disappointing fans.

If not decades of underperformance, then how about just 4 qtrs vs Kangas, 3 qtrs vs Brisbane, and another 4 qtrs vs Crows? The dire signs are there, thats all any of us are saying.

Schneiderman
20th April 2005, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by dendol
The dire signs are there, thats all any of us are saying.

I refuse to believe this when there are still 72 quarters of the year to go at the least. And I remember how everyone was reacting to the 2003 start, when we had a piss-poor three rounds following the Round 1 thumping of Carlton.

dendol
20th April 2005, 12:16 AM
I refuse to believe this when there are still 72 quarters of the year to go at the least. And I remember how everyone was reacting to the 2003 start, when we had a piss-poor three rounds following the Round 1 thumping of Carlton.

And thats why I haven't advocated any plans to rebuild nor have I agreed with anyone saying that we need to blood as many youngsters as possible. Sure, we need to get McVeigh in - and also give one of Malceski, Willoughby, Schmidt or Moore a run soon in place of Maxfield - but this is merely to see if we can unearth that midfield superstar sooner rather than later.

Go Swannies
20th April 2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by dendol
If not decades of underperformance, then how about just 4 qtrs vs Kangas, 3 qtrs vs Brisbane, and another 4 qtrs vs Crows? The dire signs are there, thats all any of us are saying.

I think you are dissing the other teams. In those three games, the only one I could say at 3/4 time that we would definitely lose was the Lions. If you accept that the Roos and Adelaide are crap teams then, yes, we just held our own with those crap teams for most of the game.

I still don't understand how people think the Lions game was bad. The first half was low scoring as two equal teams struggled to get an advantage over the other. The Lions got that advantage in the 3rd and we got it back in the 4th. I found the whole game fascinating.

The more worrying sign is that, in the two games we lost, we gave up trying in the final quarter. If bad luck, bad umpiring can continue to break our spirit, we're in trouble. And it certainly doesn't help our average if it comes down to that at the end of the season.

NMWBloods
20th April 2005, 12:35 AM
I dont even try to slice you apart, I leave that sort of commentary to you. I merely stated that you took a shot at swans_premiers because he correctly pointed out that its not the end of the world when you lose two games out of four.
It gets a bit tiring when the 'protectors of the club' come to the rescue because some of us are disappointed with performance of the team and decide to discuss it and point out areas we see as problems. Some people seem to think that is not allowed.

I love your 'there you go again' without even realising it was a comment I made 2 days ago - I note though you avoided commenting again on that mistake as well as the other strange comments you made.

You seem hell-bent on doing a Nostradamus in mid April, when history clearly shows that it is completely impossible to do so accurately (except for maybe the Bombers in 2000).
Like many people I like to understand why we are playing the way we do, how we play relative to other teams, and how I think we will go in the future. Others seem to want to go no further than blind faith. That's up to them, but as I've already said, they can stear clear of the other comments then.

And you use "decades of underperformance" to prove your point about why things look dire - because the Swans have this "history" of disappointing fans.
And why not? Every year we get people, like you and others, who say we should have faith and we shouldn't criticise and things can only get better and all the other usual trite comments, yet it doesn't - it's the same thing year after year, and we get the same comments from people like you year after year.

The most annoying thing is that if we win, and even if we were to win a Premiership, people would be too happy to point it out to you. However, the moment we lose a game you jump in and claim credit for "predicting" it. Doesn't make anyone feel any better though does it?

I have no idea what your first sentence means. I don't claim credit for predicting losses or wins. I don't refer back to my match previews when I say we should win or lose and comment on whether I was right or not. You'd note that in many of match previews (such as Adelaide) I think we should win. I did comment on the warning signs against Brisbane because you had said the way we played didn't matter because we won.

Schneiderman
20th April 2005, 01:16 AM
It gets a bit tiring when the 'protectors of the club' come to the rescue because some of us are disappointed with performance of the team and decide to discuss it and point out areas we see as problems. Some people seem to think that is not allowed.

Its more tiring when after one loss the doomsayers pop out of the woodwork telling us the season is over (no not you, I know). And doubly disappointing when people who have seemed so reasonable in years past now take pot shots at anyone who responds with optimism (yeah this one is you).

I love your 'there you go again' without even realising it was a comment I made 2 days ago - I note though you avoided commenting again on that mistake as well as the other strange comments you made.

So I didn't look at the date and got the order of posting wrong. You still made the comments, and its not appreciated.

Like many people I like to understand why we are playing the way we do, how we play relative to other teams, and how I think we will go in the future. Others seem to want to go no further than blind faith. That's up to them, but as I've already said, they can stear clear of the other comments then.

See now I see club membership as an opportunity to feel paet of a community. I reckon a few others agree with me. RWO is the place we should come to share our grief AND support. Whilst its good to share our analysis of failure, its also healthy to revel in the successes.... even if they are flukey. And IF any of the players read this forum, I'd like them to know that they have supporters too. Yes even when they fail.

And why not? Every year we get people, like you and others, who say we should have faith and we shouldn't criticise and things can only get better and all the other usual trite comments, yet it doesn't - it's the same thing year after year, and we get the same comments from people like you year after year.

But what is "better" anyway? Will you really be pleased with a Premiership? Because success cant last forever, and from the top the only way is down. I didn't say you shouldn't criticise, but a bit of balance is important. You should trust that I am really down when we lose, but without an hope that it CAN get better (and with people getting carried away with their efforts to drag the optimism down), the whole purpose of RWO (as a place where supporters can share their passion for the Swans) gets washed away. If I want to hear slagging I read BigFooty.

I did comment on the warning signs against Brisbane because you had said the way we played didn't matter because we won.

All I said was enjoy it. Considering the Crows result, I feel even more vindicated, and its a game I will watch again and again to keep the faith alive.

dendol
20th April 2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
I think you are dissing the other teams. In those three games, the only one I could say at 3/4 time that we would definitely lose was the Lions. If you accept that the Roos and Adelaide are crap teams then, yes, we just held our own with those crap teams for most of the game.

I still don't understand how people think the Lions game was bad. The first half was low scoring as two equal teams struggled to get an advantage over the other. The Lions got that advantage in the 3rd and we got it back in the 4th. I found the whole game fascinating.

The more worrying sign is that, in the two games we lost, we gave up trying in the final quarter. If bad luck, bad umpiring can continue to break our spirit, we're in trouble. And it certainly doesn't help our average if it comes down to that at the end of the season.

I see your point, but I'm referring to the manner in which the game was played and the amount of skill errors in those 11 qtrs I mentioned.

The Kangas game was a dour, boring, flood-based, defensive game riddled with errors by the Swans. The signs were there that we were going to continue the gameplan that was employed in 2004.

Against Brisbane, the first half was only low scoring because Brisbane kicked 4.10 for the half. Had they not missed many gettable shots at goal, our 6 scoring shots (2.4) for one half of footy would have been lauded as an appalling effort even if the weather hadn't been perfect for footy.

And the Crows game, the lack of skill and accountability which culminated in a 41 defeat - surely no positive can been milked from that sort of capitulation at home - combined with the previous effort mentioned above, is enough warning for even the most optimistic of supporters that 2005 may not be as rosy as we had wanted to believe.

NMWBloods
20th April 2005, 10:24 AM
Its more tiring when after one loss the doomsayers pop out of the woodwork telling us the season is over (no not you, I know). And doubly disappointing when people who have seemed so reasonable in years past now take pot shots at anyone who responds with optimism (yeah this one is you).
If people want to be otpmistic, I think that's fine. However, I don't think this thread was simply a case of 'well I disagree with you guys I think we'll do well' it was full of unnecessary sarcarsm and smart arse comments. So, I will respond in kind. If you want to optimistic and simply disagree with the pessimists (realists ;) ) then you are quite welcome to do so.

See now I see club membership as an opportunity to feel paet of a community. I reckon a few others agree with me. RWO is the place we should come to share our grief AND support. Whilst its good to share our analysis of failure, its also healthy to revel in the successes.... even if they are flukey. And IF any of the players read this forum, I'd like them to know that they have supporters too. Yes even when they fail.
Players get support and we do revel in success. We are also rightly harsh critics of poor performances and like to understand failures.

The Sydney players receive far less critical treatment than teams in Melbourne, so a few harsh words shouldn't hurt too much.

But what is "better" anyway? Will you really be pleased with a Premiership? Because success cant last forever, and from the top the only way is down.
Tell you what I'd like. I'd like to see us have a great season and win a premiership. I'd like that season to be so enjoyable that the DVD of it will be enjoyable each time I re-watch it, not just because we win but because we play good football. I'd like to win a premiership before too long so my dad can actually enjoy the feeling of the side he has followed for over 60 years finally obtaining success.

They do that then I'm happy we don't win another for a decade as long as we are competitive. Football is not the be all and end all, however I would like that taste of success just once.

I didn't say you shouldn't criticise, but a bit of balance is important. You should trust that I am really down when we lose, but without an hope that it CAN get better (and with people getting carried away with their efforts to drag the optimism down), the whole purpose of RWO (as a place where supporters can share their passion for the Swans) gets washed away. If I want to hear slagging I read BigFooty.
Yeah, BF is for slagging. I like RWO because when we win it's a chance to share the enjoyment and consider how we won. When we lose it's a chance to share the frustration and try to work out how we lost and consider where we are going.

All I said was enjoy it. Considering the Crows result, I feel even more vindicated, and its a game I will watch again and again to keep the faith alive.
The last quarter of that game is the only one I could consider watching again and I'm sorry but it's really not a game that I would look at for feeling optimistic. The SKilda game last year would be one for that of recent times.

Diego
20th April 2005, 11:15 AM
Schneiderman - deluded little soul.

Vivien
20th April 2005, 11:18 AM
We'll be OK. It's only round 4, after all. In 2003 we were 1-3 and a 10 goal last quarter against Melbourne turned our season around. Maybe history will repeat itself this Saturday. just have some faith.

Mike_B
20th April 2005, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Vivien
We'll be OK. It's only round 4, after all. In 2003 we were 1-3 and a 10 goal last quarter against Melbourne turned our season around. Maybe history will repeat itself this Saturday. just have some faith.

I was hoping the last quarter against Brisbane would do what the last quarter against Melbourne in 2003 did for our year that year. Doesn't look like it, but we can alwasy hope.

Vivien
20th April 2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Mike_B
I was hoping the last quarter against Brisbane would do what the last quarter against Melbourne in 2003 did for our year that year. Doesn't look like it, but we can alwasy hope.

Yeah, me too.

20th April 2005, 02:02 PM

Obviously there is always hope. If not next week, it is the week after. And of course, if it is not this year, there is still next year. And in case we cant turn up next year, there is always the year after. This could go on and on. It has been going on for the last 70 years and I think 70 years is more than enough. It is now time to demand responsibility for each and every failure that we have.

Players turning up every second game would please some supporters but will not win any premiership. And that is the difference between a good footy culture versus a bad one.

Schneiderman
20th April 2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Diego
Schneiderman - deluded little soul.

Its not little.

Ruda Wakening
21st April 2005, 01:11 AM
There's a hole in your soul, i can see it in your face, it's a real big place.

swans_premiers
14th October 2005, 01:22 AM
dam i'm smart:D

Bazman
14th October 2005, 06:55 AM
They had little faith.

goswannie14
14th October 2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Bazman
They had little faith.
The resulting season makes some of these earlier comments seem a little silly doesn't it.

After all "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS MY FRIEND[S]":D

anne
14th October 2005, 09:49 AM
Wouldn't a 7 - 0 start next year be great.

Go Swannies
14th October 2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by anne
Wouldn't a 7 - 0 start next year be great.

25-0 sounds good to me. But starting with enough reserve for the big finish obviously works better than the jump out of the blocks of the Eagles, Tigers and Dees in 2005.

ScottH
14th October 2005, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Go Swannies
25-0 sounds good to me. But starting with enough reserve for the big finish obviously works better than the jump out of the blocks of the Eagles, Tigers and Dees in 2005. Saints 2004 10-0

goswannie14
14th October 2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by ScottH
Saints 2004 10-0
But where did that get them:D LOL

swans05
14th October 2005, 12:36 PM
just gotta be playing the good footy at the right time of the year

undy
14th October 2005, 05:51 PM
There's been so much bagging of the team on RWO, we could spend the whole off-season activating these zombie threads of gloom. Love it.

Jeffers1984
14th October 2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by undy
There's been so much bagging of the team on RWO, we could spend the whole off-season activating these zombie threads of gloom. Love it.
Yeah. We should have a whole thread dedicated to it. I would certainly love to sit down and have a laugh reading through the thread.

goswannie14
14th October 2005, 06:32 PM
I've been looking through some of the old threads and it is amazing what some of these so-called fans will say about their team. It's just not the done thing in Aussie rules.

I know we all have our whinges at time but really.....I have read some posts by one member who never says anything positive about the team or club...if that's the way you want to be, that's fine but sometimes it's better to keep the comments to yourself.;)