Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Importance of Fans ... By Adam Goodes

Quote Originally Posted by connolly View Post

His management shopped him around to opposition clubs mid-season, despite being a required player.
    Even though I think Thompson has overstepped the mark, we don't know how common this is in the AFL. You're admitting Davis is a required player?
    His management planted stories in the media that Davis was still committed to the club, for the obvious purpose of disinformation, to keep his market value up as a required player.
    Where is the evidence to the contrary? Davis said with his own mouth that he is committed to the club, so how is that disinformation? His manager may be sounding out other clubs because of fears the club will delist him.

The Eagle story is either true and i do find it somewhat unusual and interesting that a kid whose dad played for Collingwood (with distinction) and the Bloods followed a WA side that were easybeats at the time and who he possibly never saw at a match or it is bull and the story was planted to ingratiate himself to a potential employer.
    This is the most erroneous claim of all. Kids follow teams for a variety of reasons. As I said his Dad played at Collingwood when Nick was a toddler and at Sydney for 9 games only when he was 8. Nick may not have even been interested in the game then. If it was anything like my school, AFL held little interest in the playgrounds of Sydney back then.

Not sure how you can claim the Eagles were 'easybeats'. Didn't they win 2 flags in the early 1990s when Nick probably started following the game? The Eagles rise coincided with a very low point for the Swans.
    Either way the story is interesting in regard to Davis obvious lack of committment to the club.
    It shows nothing of the sort.
    There are a lot of issues here that no one who doesn't know Davis cant or shouldnt comment on.
    You should heed your own advice!
    "As everyone knows our style of football is defensive and unattractive, and as such I have completely forgotten how to mark or kick over the years" - Brett Kirk

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    The fact he decided to support a francise with no history from the other side of the country instead of the Swans (or any of the other 3 clubs his Dad played with) is, well, as connolly said 'interesting'.

That's all connolly said, 'interesting' and I agree with him. Your crusade to sink the slipper into connolly at any opportunity is also 'interesting' but I have my own opinion on what 'looks pretty stupid' at the minute.
    Bandwagoner. Davis would have been growing up as a junior around the time WCE came in, and then the 1992 & 1994 premierships.

Fandom of Fabulousness Lucky Knickers's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nick's a fan of the game. He likes everyone but Collingwood.
    Nothing unusual in that.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    However, if my Dad had played for Collingwood or the Bloods i'm damn sure i would have followed one or both of them as a kid.
    I can't remember the details, but I seem to remember a Brownlow night when one of the stars (Hird?) was interviewed with his young son. The compere asked the son his favourite player and he said (Buckley?) Howls of laughter as the audience fell in the aisles. Kids make their own rules, and sometimes parents need to let them!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I can't remember the details, but I seem to remember a Brownlow night when one of the stars (Hird?) was interviewed with his young son. The compere asked the son his favourite player and he said (Buckley?) Howls of laughter as the audience fell in the aisles. Kids make their own rules, and sometimes parents need to let them!
    And Bucks would have given the same answer
    Bevo bandwagon driver

the key word being was

The commentary that Bevo was the worst footballer in the comp etc, etc was really off the stupidity meter.
    That particular comment wasn't made by anyone here. Late in a (I believe) home loss last year, a commentator remarked that the worst player in football was on the field. Of course he would't say who it was, but more than a few here, myself included thought that he was referring to Young Bevvies.

Many, as you'd well recall, agreed with that (D list) commo whose name escapes me now. I like nicknames and began to refer to Bevvies as "WPIF", in addition to the usual "Young Bevan".

Last season I only used "WPIF" when he did things like totally shut down Davey, Milne and others of their ilk. Usually, but not always, there would have been one of these somewhere close by or adjacent.

This year I'm getting to use it a lot more in the huge crow eating sessions that have gone on. Used it in the last day or two, actually. Manboobing on about how there's no way WPIF plays the role he played for us against the Underbellys if he'd been dropped last year when some here were saying he couldn't work in a factory, much less play footy.
    I was wrong about Gerard and his hair.

Yarraville, Victoria, Australia, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by 573v30 View Post
    Are there any current Swans players who were fans of the Swans when they were young?
    The great LRT!

JF
    "Never ever ever state that Sydney is gone.They are like cockroaches in the aftermath of a nuclear war"
    (Forum poster 'Change', Big Footy 04Apr09)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swansrule100 View Post
    i still think davis was a swans fan and his manager is a tool bag.
    I don't think you'll find too many arguments about that statement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123