Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Qualifying final V Freo

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Pyke and Franklin definite ins, the rest are maybes.

A bit different than last week's message, when Kennedy and McGlynn were supposedly not being put at risk.

Longmire said Lance Franklin (soreness) and Mike Pyke (illness), who have both missed just one match, would almost certainly come back into the side, with Josh Kennedy (hamstring), Ben McGlynn (calf) and Craig Bird (knee) also strong chances of returning this week.

Five in line for finals - sydneyswans.com.au
    He didn't say that after the match on Saturday. He said Birdie was not ready aas he was still experiencing problems from the posterior cruciate. So the Ducks & Drakes start. Birdie has been no chance up until now. He is yet to train whereas the others have basically been rested other than Benny and he is up & about. Franklin, Kennedy, Pykie & Benny are a good chance but I would put much store in Birdie getting up after last weeks medical report. Doubtful last week generally means he is at least two weeks away. He might be ready for the Prelim if we win this or next week if we lose. The selectors will have to weigh up if they take a risk on him.

I have no idea who will play this week. We might go with Laids. Might not. It will be selections to match up on the opposition very much in the mids & backs. What sort of speed do they have in the mids? Hill & Fyfe are basically their fast runners. In & Under they have Mundy & Barlow who are both bulls. Crowley their tagger. Daniel Pearce provides run off HB & Harry should get that job unless Horse decides to play Kizza in the forward line like earlier this year.

By the way Freo players look like they have been hit with the ugly stick. But then again you don't have to be pretty to win a premiership. Ask Brian Taylor, Lethal, Mick Martyn, Juddy etc.
    Last edited by wolftone57; 1st September 2014 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    What odds do you want DK? I'll let you lay a lazy $100 on it (with the assumption that injury is not the reason Tippett is left out).
    See my previous comment. And since when has Horse made strategic changes without coming up with a lame injury excuse first?

Assuming it's wet, and noting the crap ANZ pitch, what change do you predict? Do we keep all the talls? Does Horse drop Buddy, Goodes, or Pyke? Who comes in instead? I don't think BJack is knocking. My only other idea is Rohan moves forward and Laidler or Zac come in down back.

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Just read Michael Johnson has been ruled out. That's a win for us
    Big win - surprised to hear people say he was a chance as he looked very lame on Saturday. Leaves them with very few options down back really I would think. Except have three behind the play all day, which they'll do anyway.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    ...You forgot the three clanger kicks that turned the ball over when he kicked under pressure. One more goal. It was a low scoring game they all count in those.
    Why isn't a missed shot at goal called a clanger? It has missed the target, given the opposition a free kick and cost the team five points. (Not asking you in particular Wolfy)
    Also, if the kicks were under pressure, surely that is a team problem, not the kickers.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    This may be an unpopular opinion but I feel like our back six has looked a little shaky since Laidler went out. He was pretty good at reading the play defensively and providing an extra outlet by hand or foot out of the back half.

As much as Rohan has improved I think he sometimes lacks the instinct to head where he is needed. Perhaps he should take over Shaw's half back role and then Laidler can come back in.
    I agree Amp. We need to be very wary of Freo attack. They kicked 17 goals against Hawthorn recently. I feel much more confident with Laidler in defence. Gives us a solid defensive four.

Actually, Matt de Boer and Nathan Fyfe are pretty gorgeous. I reckon Nat Fyfe and Lance Franklin are the two most beautifully athletic players to watch in the AFL. Our guys are beautiful because the are OUR guys.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    But then again you don't have to be pretty to win a premiership. Ask Brian Taylor, Lethal, Mick Martyn, Juddy etc.
    BT....Win a premiership......Thankfully that never happened. If it had, he would of worked it into his commentary every single week.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    I think were were building to this structure before injuries came into play at different stages during our streak:

B: Rampe, Richards, Shaw
    HB: Malceski, Grundy, Rohan
    C: Jetta, Kennedy, Hanneberry
    HF: McGlynn, Franklin, Goodes
    F: Reid, Tippett, Parker
    Fol: Pyke, Jack, McVeigh
    I/C: Cunningham, Laidler, Smith
    Sub: Mitchell

This means:
    In: Laidler, Kennedy, McGlynn, Franklin, Pyke
    Out: Naismith, Towers, Biggs, Jones, Lloyd

Not sure why there isn't much support for Laidler. He adds stability to our backline and gives us a few more options to play utilities further up from half back. Finals are unpredictable.
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Laidler hasnt provided more effective football then Rohan has the last few weeks........Laidler is solid but we have so many players who can now rotate thru the back 6 and Laidler is in my opinion behind the following 8 players..........Rampe, Ted, Shaw, Mal, Macca, Reg, Rohan and Reid

Macca needs to spend half his time in the backline for short passing exits to be effective from our 50m defensive arc in a pressure game against a team like Freeo....... equally Mal needs to be up on the wing almost 50% of the game

HB: Malceski, Grundy, Smith
    C: Jetts, Kennedy, Hannes
    HF: McGlynn, Franklin, Jack
    F: Goodes, Tippett, Harry
    Fol: Pyke, Parker, McVeigh

I/C: Lloyd, Rohan, Reid

In: Kennedy, McGlynn, Franklin, Pyke
    Out: Naismith, Towers, Biggs, Jones

Injured: Bird
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Yes Auntie, this is the side. Can't leave Lloyd out. Frankly, I think it's the most talented side we've ever had.

One thing I love seeing is how well Jake Lloyd has Harry's pace worked out, so much so that he hits him at full pace nearly every time. Those 2 kids have brought so much skill to the side. And they are incredibly smart footballers for 20 year olds.

Mitchell's inside work is really strong and his handballing is sublime. Once he works out how to kick the ball to advantage, he's going to really damaging, because he can kick long. Lloyd to his credit already has this well worked out and is only second to Macca at hitting the man on the lead. He's reminded of McVeigh from the start and just continues to confirm my early impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

HB: Malceski, Grundy, Smith
    C: Jetts, Kennedy, Hannes
    HF: McGlynn, Franklin, Jack
    F: Goodes, Tippett, Harry
    Fol: Pyke, Parker, McVeigh

I/C: Lloyd, Rohan, Reid
    Would love to see that team.

If Bird comes in, is it for Lloyd or Mitchell?
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Mitchell will stay. Shaw will stay. Better than last week and the week before. Will be right on cue by next week.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast